IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS F Sport - Spoiler or No Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 12:56 PM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DEWIS350
If the spoiler is built the same as the 2IS spoiler it came with two threaded studs which have to cut off if your only going to use tape,
if they didn't trim them flush that may be where your two dents came from.
Doesn't look like there were any threaded studs.

Kind of hard to tell in this pic, but if you click on the pic and zoom in, you can see the lining of the little dents where the spoiler left its mark. The dents are close to the edge of the trunk/integrated spoiler. They look like little hail dents. I don't understand how the installation of the spoiler could do that. They must have put extreme amounts of pressure or heated up the adhesive very hot.

Old 04-14-16, 07:49 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in SA too!
I prefer it with the spoiler. I got my car in January and mounted the spoiler on a week later (just tape, no bolts.)
I just think it looks more balanced with.
Originally Posted by patnatty
Hi everyone. New 350 F Sport owner here. Long story short, after purchasing the vehicle, my dealer installed the OEM spoiler on the new car. (They added a spoiler to the 250 I used to own and thought I wanted one again on the new car). I told them no I didn't want one on the car I have now. Thank god it was only glued on so they were able to take it off. However, for whatever reason, the spoiler left little dents on the trunk where it was mounted. They are going to try to remove the dents on Friday. This situation has been pretty upsetting to say the least. I'm kind of over it and just wanna say screw it and throw the spoiler back on.

With that being said, do you guys prefer the 3IS with or without a spoiler?

Also, I don't know about the other dealers, but the two Lexus dealers in San Antonio have been throwing spoilers on their new IS models. Is this a new trend?
Old 04-14-16, 12:41 PM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Turismo
I'm in SA too!
I prefer it with the spoiler. I got my car in January and mounted the spoiler on a week later (just tape, no bolts.)
I just think it looks more balanced with.
Nice!!! Which North Park did you get it from? So apparently they got hit pretty bad from the hail storm two days ago.
Old 04-14-16, 02:52 PM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

Snagged a pic next to my coworker's 250 with the spoiler vs mine currently without the spoiler.

Old 04-14-16, 05:17 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually drove up to Austin for mine, North Park didnt have the color and options combo I wanted.
Snagged a pic next to my coworker's 250 with the spoiler vs mine currently without the spoiler.

Old 04-14-16, 06:54 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

IMHO I think it looks better without the spoiler. it still looks good with the spoiler just not as good without it. My car has the spoiler BTW.

Last edited by Savjam; 04-14-16 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 08:41 PM
arsaahme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redline.gT

Seibon Carbon spoiler.
Ive ordered the same spoiler for my 3is as well. How'd you put it on? 3M tape or bolted?
Old 04-16-16, 07:34 AM
RRUBI1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came with a spoiler, at first I didn't really like it but it grew on me. It does add an aggressive appearance to the car but at the end of the day it's your preference. Either way looks good to me.
Old 04-16-16, 09:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I personally am not fond of the OEM spoiler's look from the rear, in particular the angled lines and 1/3rd cut around the L emblem. It doesn't look well integrated. In contrast, I much prefer the clean chiseled line and shape of the trunk without this spoiler. Either way, you must like it and that's what counts.
Old 04-16-16, 09:51 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No spoiler
Old 04-16-16, 04:23 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was ordering a brand new IS 350 and had the same question - should I order the spoiler or not. First my adult son convinced me to get one then we both changed our mind and decided against it. But if a dealer 'surprised' me and got me the car with the spoiler I wouldn't complain too much - it is one of those borderline decisions that can easily go either way.
Old 04-16-16, 06:20 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I've never really thought about it. But, after seeing the two side by side above, I prefer no spoiler.
Old 04-16-16, 08:05 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Seeing side by side, without. The trunk lid already has a slight upkick faux spoiler. I like the way this one seems more integrated to the lines of the car particularly at the outer edge, the crease lines > < above the reverse lights and the way it curves to the same contour as the top edge of the bumper. Lexus OEM but not sadly not here.

Just details but the US OEM looks a little "heavy" to me and in my eye resembles a dog bone.

Last edited by ISTORO; 04-17-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 08:40 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISTORO
I like the way this one seems more integrated to the lines of the car particularly at the outer edge and the crease lines > < above the reverse lights . Lexus OEM but not sadly not here.

This is the same spoiler which I have. This spoiler is the OEM for Asian & Middle East specs.
Old 04-17-16, 07:14 AM
kyhedhtr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I've never really thought about it. But, after seeing the two side by side above, I prefer no spoiler.
I just purchased an RC, and I chose to go without the spoiler. Looking closely at various cars, I didn't think the paint of the spoiler matched the car, to my eye there was a difference. And I thought it looked fine without it.

Quick Reply: 3IS F Sport - Spoiler or No Spoiler?