IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 08:48 AM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clear Bra Advice

I need some advice here. The local Lexus dealer has the following options on a clear bra for my 2016 IS300 AWD.

$450---Partial Hood, Partial Fenders, Side View Mirrors (no front bumper)

$799--Partial Hood, Partial Fenders, Side View Mirrors, Full Bumper)

This is the high quality XPEL Ultimate which I know is the best out there.

Is it even worth getting it done if I don't get the bumper done?
Old 04-05-16, 08:56 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wallaceb
I need some advice here. The local Lexus dealer has the following options on a clear bra for my 2016 IS300 AWD.

The bumper will suffer the most damage. Pay the extra money for it.
Old 04-05-16, 08:58 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI the dealers outsource this to other shops and then mark up the price. The shop comes in and applies it at the dealer. You are better off going straight to the places that install this and save some money.

any good Tint shop can do the clear bra.
Old 04-05-16, 10:02 AM
listairee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid101
FYI the dealers outsource this to other shops and then mark up the price. The shop comes in and applies it at the dealer. You are better off going straight to the places that install this and save some money.

any good Tint shop can do the clear bra.

It's true what he said. Even if the dealers do it, they do a crappy job 95% of the time. Learned my lesson.
Old 04-05-16, 10:15 AM
Lex2133
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never go to the dealers to get this kind of work done. I got Xpel Ultimate forPartial Hood, Partial Fenders, Side View Mirrors, Full Bumpers for $450 by an independent.
Old 04-05-16, 04:17 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I did mine myself. It was kind of a pain but definitely worth all the money I saved. 3M Scotchguard Pro, hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders, door cups, edge guards, etc...everything you'd want, under $300. The shop that does it for the local dealership quoted me $1799 for the same film, same areas.....

Not perfect, but considering the money saved I'm happy with my decision
Old 04-05-16, 04:48 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Turismo
I did mine myself. It was kind of a pain but definitely worth all the money I saved. 3M Scotchguard Pro, hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders, door cups, edge guards, etc...everything you'd want, under $300. The shop that does it for the local dealership quoted me $1799 for the same film, same areas.....

Looks like you did a great job. How long did it take you?
Old 04-05-16, 10:22 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually you did a good job installing it. Where did you get the film and what are the tools that you needed?
Old 04-06-16, 05:30 AM
listairee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!
Old 04-06-16, 06:11 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wallaceb

Do it as soon as you can! You'll have no regrets later! I had mine done with the partial kit (fenders & hood), full front bumper, & side mirrors. Xpel Ultimate. Also, like others have mentioned before, do not use the dealer to get this services. Go straight to a local certified installer. And yes, make sure it's a certified Xpel Installer (look it up on the Xpel site)!
Old 04-06-16, 06:15 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a picture of mine when the car was delivered to me! The first couple of pictures are from when the shop first installed the Xpel kit. The last picture - I brought the car back to them to have it lowered and sealed with Ceramic Pro nano coating.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Advice-xpel-2.jpg   Clear Bra Advice-xpel-1.jpg   Clear Bra Advice-img_1151.jpg  
Old 04-06-16, 07:48 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

It was probably about 4 hours worth of work, spread out over a week lol...I'm really **** though and tried to remove every little bubble.
Got it here.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/3M-PRO-Series-Paint-Protection-Film-Kit-Fits-2015-Lexus-IS-250-IS-350-F-Sport-/401066201868?nav=SEARCH

Good seller. Great customer service.
It comes with a basic squeegee. You'll need 2 empty spray bottles, some rubbing alcohol, baby shampoo (or similar...bubbles are bad) and a few clean towels. A helper for the larger sections is also recommended, just to get them off the sheet and on the car without folding over into itself.
Watch all the guide videos in the description on that link. You'll have a good idea what you're in for.

Last edited by Turismo; 04-06-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-06-16, 09:22 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

It was probably about 4 hours worth of work, spread out over a week lol...I'm really **** though and tried to remove every little bubble.
Got it here.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/3M-PRO-Series-...868?nav=SEARCH

Good seller. Great customer service.
It comes with a basic squeegee. You'll need 2 empty spray bottles, some rubbing alcohol, baby shampoo (or similar...bubbles are bad) and a few clean towels. A helper for the larger sections is also recommended, just to get them off the sheet and on the car without folding over into itself.
Watch all the guide videos in the description on that link. You'll have a good idea what you're in for.
Thanks.

BTW this a pre-cut film which is easier for install, but is it a little short ? Since I heard pre-cut PPF doesn't cover the sides properly.
Old 04-06-16, 11:19 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

This is my car with Xbel ultimate. I had to pay 530$ for the installer since he was the only one giving a warranty for yellowing.

Old 04-06-16, 02:26 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AMNss
Thanks.

BTW this a pre-cut film which is easier for install, but is it a little short ? Since I heard pre-cut PPF doesn't cover the sides properly.
It is smaller than the dimensions it covers, and it is supposed to be stretched during application. Hang on, I'll post a vid...
EDIT: here ya go..
https://youtu.be/1pFBLCsN3K0

Last edited by Turismo; 04-06-16 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Advice