IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just hit a dog..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 09:37 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, Lexus in USA and I think Canada too (Jeff Lange could confirm), factory painted bumpers are not available.

The other other way is if you import bumper from Lexus Japan, you can get a factory painted bumper however they come pre-cut for the Japanese licence plate mounts; I don't believe they would honor the request to for one uncut even thou they do make them per the cars sold outside Japan.
Old 03-30-16, 03:05 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Unfortunately, Lexus in USA and I think Canada too (Jeff Lange could confirm), factory painted bumpers are not available.

The other other way is if you import bumper from Lexus Japan, you can get a factory painted bumper however they come pre-cut for the Japanese licence plate mounts; I don't believe they would honor the request to for one uncut even thou they do make them per the cars sold outside Japan.
Like I said before, the colour will look different and it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

It needs blending in properly. You can get away with pre painted bumpers on solid colours lol Obsidian but not on metallics or pearls

Ever seen those cars around with the same colour front and rear doors that are different shades? Well that's cos they've stuck a pre painted door on!
Old 03-30-16, 03:06 PM
dontrump
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's the dog?
Old 03-30-16, 07:59 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
Like I said before, the colour will look different and it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

It needs blending in properly. You can get away with pre painted bumpers on solid colours lol Obsidian but not on metallics or pearls

Ever seen those cars around with the same color front and rear doors that are different shades? Well that's cos they've stuck a pre painted door on!
If the car is relatively new it shouldn't be a problem because the paint on the car hasn't aged to the extent that it will look different.

I personally haven't seen different shades from a pre-painted part. I would go with a factory painted part because the part because it is painted by the factory by the machine as opposed to a part being painted 3rd party by hand and would not have the exact same color paint the factory uses.

Last edited by Sango; 03-31-16 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 10:43 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dontrump
How's the dog?
Ya how's the dog?
Car can be fix matter of money and time.
But a life is a life.
Old 03-30-16, 11:25 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dontrump
How's the dog?
Originally Posted by forum429
Ya how's the dog?
Car can be fix matter of money and time.
But a life is a life.
you guys need to read the OP
Old 03-30-16, 11:40 PM
tc1728
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendyli
I'll let you guys know. Anyone know a reputable body shop in the East Bay Area in Norcal?
I'm a shop manager at a body shop in San Mateo. Message me if you want, I'll take care of you.
Old 03-31-16, 01:36 AM
l33ks
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tc1728
I'm a shop manager at a body shop in San Mateo. Message me if you want, I'll take care of you.
Sent you a message.
Old 03-31-16, 04:35 AM
hotsaw11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no such thing as a cheap repair on a lexus. Don't ask how I know…...
Old 03-31-16, 03:09 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

If the car is relatively new it shouldn't be a problem because the paint on the car hasn't aged to the extent that it will look different.

I personally haven't seen different shades from a pre-painted part. I would go with a factory painted part because the part because it is painted by the factory by the machine as opposed to a part being painted 3rd party by hand and would not have the exact same color paint the factory uses.
It's not the shade that's the problem.

Because the paint has flakes in it, the shade is dictated by the direction that the flakes are lying. Therefore the paint will look different in the same light if the flake is not lying in the same direction. That's why a blending process is done.
Old 03-31-16, 08:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

It's not the shade that's the problem.

Because the paint has flakes in it, the shade is dictated by the direction that the flakes are lying. Therefore the paint will look different in the same light if the flake is not lying in the same direction. That's why a blending process is done.
I'm trying to understand the flake aspect.

At at the factory when Lexus paints the cars, it would be painted the same way, so wouldn't that imply the flakes be in that same direction? I couldn't imagine they would change it, otherwise it would look different from car to car of the same color.

Last edited by Sango; 04-01-16 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 05:14 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you contact vets in your area or doggie daycares or see if there is a lost dog facebook page to tell everyone that you saw him/her and he/she is injured? Someone is probably missing the dog. An accident is an accident, but it's your responsibility to do what you can now.

I almost got seriously rear ended and would have been quite injured and my IS would have been destroyed. I was going 75 mph with rush hour traffic on the highway when a dog darted from in front of a Uhaul that was in the lane beside me and ran right in front of me. Luckily I stopped, didn't hit him, and the mercedes behind me also stopped. I then contacted the police and a lost dog facebook page for my city and he was reunited with his owner that night.

Sorry to hear about your car, but it's always fixable. Call your insurance.

Last edited by tC2IS350; 04-01-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 04:10 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

I'm trying to understand the flake aspect.

At at the factory when Lexus paints the cars, it would be painted the same way, so wouldn't that imply the flakes be in that same direction? I couldn't imagine they would change it, otherwise it would look different from car to car of the same color.
Exactly right sir! The same colour does look different from car to car. For example, something like Starfire Pearl, if you put 2 cars which are Starfire Pearl next to each other, they'll look slightly different. Depending on the direction of the flake, Starfire Pearl may show up as an ivory colour or with hints of purple as it has multiple flakes. However, the paint will be uniform across each vehicle itself!

Not the best picture but you can see this factory painted ultra white TRD body kit. If you look closely youll notice the sideskirt and rear diffuser is a marginally different shade, being slightly blue which people with a trained eye can see. The spoiler is slightly yellower.

Last edited by rayaans; 04-02-16 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 08:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Exactly right sir! The same colour does look different from car to car. For example, something like Starfire Pearl for example, if you put 2 cars which are Starfire Pearl next to each other, they'll look slightly different compared to each other. Depending on the direction of the flake, Starfire Pearl may show up as an ivory colour or with hints of purple as it has multiple flakes. However, the paint will be uniform across each vehicle itself!

Not the best picture but you can see this factory painted ultra white TRD body kit. If you look closely youll notice the sideskirt and rear diffuser is a marginally different shade, being slightly blue which people with a trained eye can see. The spoiler is slightly yellower.

Ah, ok I see what you mean now.

Good thing, I have my monitor calibrated and profiled to 6500K to see the colors accurately. I can see the subtle difference in the side skirt and rear diffuser.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-05-16, 08:14 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I am still waiting to hear what the final repair cost estimate is going to be.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: Just hit a dog..