IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rubbing in the rear - don't get why..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 09:43 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubbing in the rear - don't get why..

Hi all, I am currently running a set of 19s SSRs for the summer and have experienced rubbing when hitting pot holes. Prior to buying this set of wheels, I looked on the forum and lots of members run the same setup with no rubbing issues (some are even lowered).

Can I get some help in understanding why it's rubbing for me, and what it is rubbing against? Am I damaging my rear fenders?

Rims: Authentic SSR TypeF (Touring Gold)
Tires: Kumho Ecstas
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Fronts: 19x8.5 +42
Rears: 19x9.5 +38
Front Tires: 235-35-19
Rear Tires: 265-30-19
Old 03-28-16, 09:55 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

you need to step down to 255/30r19 tires in the rear then you should be fine.
and probably 225/35r19 in the front so the tires are not off ratio'd
Old 03-29-16, 04:12 AM
FullAtomic
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the thing, judging by your statement, you're not lowered?
So you're probably at a degree of camber closer to zero than most of the people on this forum that run springs.
Which means that their setup of 9.5+38 will poke out less than yours. Lower your car, find a happy medium of camber that doesn't add additional wear to your inner tire.
Old 03-29-16, 07:08 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by FullAtomic
Here's the thing, judging by your statement, you're not lowered?
So you're probably at a degree of camber closer to zero than most of the people on this forum that run springs.
Which means that their setup of 9.5+38 will poke out less than yours. Lower your car, find a happy medium of camber that doesn't add additional wear to your inner tire.
This lowering car statement doesn't make sense how it will help. The car will naturally camber the same angles when the suspension compresses when it hits bumps if car is stock height of lowered. Only if it's lowered it will started off more "compressed" so to speak compared to a stock height car. Lowering a car is not gonna help, probably will make it more obvious quickly since it will run out of travel sooner. The geometry arm swing directions of the suspension will not change just by adding lowering springs
Old 03-29-16, 07:21 AM
FullAtomic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by specONE
This lowering car statement doesn't make sense how it will help. The car will naturally camber the same angles when the suspension compresses when it hits bumps if car is stock height of lowered. Only if it's lowered it will started off more "compressed" so to speak compared to a stock height car. Lowering a car is not gonna help, probably will make it more obvious quickly since it will run out of travel sooner. The geometry arm swing directions of the suspension will not change just by adding lowering springs
I'm more than sure that by lowering the car on lowering springs, RSR as a prime example (or by anything the 3is gets to play with, the negative camber increases. Therefore, bringing the top portion of the wheel+tire more inwards towards the car, thus poking out less. If he's rubbing on the outer portion of the wheel, which I'm sure he is. Problem, he's rubbing. Quick Solution? Lower it. On the 3is every inch is almost -1 degree of camber, almost 5mm pull of the top portion of the tire inwards. Yes it's a quick solution, but he asked for a solution. Fact, it will rub less, however there will be more inner tire wear without camber arms (but then if you got camber arms you'd go back to rubbing I'm sure --- circular argument).
Old 03-29-16, 07:22 AM
FullAtomic
Pole Position

Note, I also run virtually that exact setup -- however, I'm on coils. I do not rub, and never have.
Old 03-29-16, 07:40 AM
specONE
Racer

Note, I also run virtually that exact setup -- however, I'm on coils. I do not rub, and never have.
you are probably not rubbing due to being on stiffer springs that coilovers come with typically

the natural camber that the suspension arm geometry does not change regardless of stock springs lowering springs, coilovers

picture this,
you any of these three scenarios, and in each case you tore the springs or coilovers off and only have the suspension arms. when the suspension compress the wheels/tires will still sit and hit the same areas of the body of the vehicle.

Yes, when you lower the car it will camber in some but lowering the car is not what is helping. stiffer springs is probably what "may" help when you lower it.
if a stock spring hits a bumps and compresses, it is creating the same camber movements a lowered car is running through.
Old 03-29-16, 07:54 AM
specONE
Racer

I beg to differ. You just showed that lowering car will not help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9149927

Last edited by specONE; 03-29-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 07:57 AM
specONE
Racer

To the OP, give us some more info on your setup and provide some pictures
Old 03-29-16, 03:54 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to ask you two, but why can't he just increase negative camber without lowering?

Both of you are correct, one is just misunderstanding the other. Yes lowering can create more clearance because of natural negative camber that occurs, but it’s not entirely true to say lowering alone will allow more clearance since you can potentially align the car back to the original alignment specs even if you’re lowered. It’s the fact that there is more negative camber that’s allowing more clearance—which should be able to be achieved through an alignment even without going to lowering springs (just a lesser extent). Going lower will help move the suspension within a more negative range of camber, but it doesn’t sound like he needs all that much more camber…I’m guessing an additional 0.5-1 deg at most.
Old 03-29-16, 05:09 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by CLUM
I have to ask you two, but why can't he just increase negative camber without lowering?

Both of you are correct, one is just misunderstanding the other. Yes lowering can create more clearance because of natural negative camber that occurs, but it’s not entirely true to say lowering alone will allow more clearance since you can potentially align the car back to the original alignment specs even if you’re lowered. It’s the fact that there is more negative camber that’s allowing more clearance—which should be able to be achieved through an alignment even without going to lowering springs (just a lesser extent). Going lower will help move the suspension within a more negative range of camber, but it doesn’t sound like he needs all that much more camber…I’m guessing an additional 0.5-1 deg at most.
Camber is not adjustable on these cars. You must purchase camber arms then.
This is why I did not mention this.

But you do bring up a good point about alignment though that has slipped my mind
For the OP, have you done an alignment to recenter the toe? This is only if you have already lowered the car. On these cars when you lower them, the rear creates more TOE-IN that will push the rear portion of wheel closer to the fender body. SO if you get alignment to recenter the rear TOE, it may solve the rub you are experiencing.

Last edited by specONE; 03-29-16 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 05:13 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Thanks all for your response - I am currently not lowered at the moment. Want to make sure I understand how his rubbing business works before I do so.

A couple of pics of my setup:
https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/5251491

https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/5251399
Old 03-29-16, 05:43 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Hi SpecONE, I have never done an alignment (12000 km on the dash so far).

But you do bring up a good point about alignment though that has slipped my mind
For the OP, have you done an alignment to recenter the toe? This is only if you have already lowered the car. On these cars when you lower them, the rear creates more TOE-IN that will push the rear portion of wheel closer to the fender body. SO if you get alignment to recenter the rear TOE, it may solve the rub you are experiencing.
Old 03-29-16, 09:45 PM
specONE
Racer

Can you tell how much of it is really rubbing? how much of the metal of the car? 2" of the part where it meets the rear bumper? hear it on both sides?

two ways to go about this

-Since you are not lowered I recommend going with the tire size i recommended earlier. It should clear much better then.
If your rear wheels were 19x9.5 with a +40ish offset, the tire size you have would fit fine.

-Or lower and stick with the tire size you have, lower the car for the stiffer spring rate and get an alignment done to fix the toe and then see if it still rubs. Alignment is key to bring the TOE back to neutral.
If it still does then you will need to induce even more natural camber the suspension travel provides. Install Rear camber arms then.

These are my recommendation.

Last edited by specONE; 03-30-16 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 10:48 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Right, so i'd buy a camber kit, which is pretty cheap, and adjust camber as necessary. Rather than buy lowering springs just for the side effect of more negative camber, especially since the negative camber achieved from lowering springs is not controllable or predictable.

i mean obviously there are other ways to alleviate the rubbing too, like narrower tires or more conservative offsets but i'm just saying, it seems like the answer to the problem is pretty straight forward. Add more negative camber and be done. Camber arms are cheaper than new tires or new wheels and are useful even if he decides to lower his car later.

Last edited by CLUM; 03-29-16 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubbing in the rear - don't get why..