New IS owner questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 06:47 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New IS owner questions!

1) Is there an oil Percentage thing?
Ive searched all over google and the manual and nothing. I bought my car yesterday and I am still trying to figure it out. I am also by any means, a genius when it comes to cars.
My old honda accord, it shows the percentage of engine oil i still have left (i.e. 80% oil), and such as that. Or does it not exist?

2) bluetooth
I am stuck at the part for connecting my phone to my bluetooth. The car recognizes my phone via bluetooth and i can use it for music and picking up phone calls but i have no idea how to connect it so that it can pick up my text messages and emails.

3) cool features?
are there any other buttons or something cool that i should know about? (i was a honda/acura owner for the longest time, so this is a big change).

4) grill
i really love the fsport grill, but since i have a base model,can i switch my grill to the fsport one? will it fit? does anyone have a link to even getting it changed, step by step?

5) interior and license plate lights
same with grill, i want to change my interior lighting and license plate to white lights, which wattage or which ones do i buy? IS there an ebay or amazon link? is there a step by step youtube video?

6) registration
i just bought the car from the dealership and i have not since received my tags, if i get pulled over, do i just give the officer the paper that is attached to my windsheild? how long does it take to come home? im in california by the way.

7) proof of insurance
Since i just got the car, i added the vehicle to my current inurance policy but do not have the card and such for it. If i get pulled over, do i show the officers my current insurance card with the NAME OF MY PREVIOUS VEHICLE ON IT? Is that okay or do i must have the new insurance card with my current car

8)spoiler
i really want a spoiler, not too sure which one. what do you guys reconmend? if i get the one uncolored, is there a spray paint i can get to match to spray paint it myself or...?

9) accessory mode
sometimes i sit in my car to do my homework for school, accessory mode is on so i can hear the radio, if i get out of my car, how do i shut off accessory mode? does it shut off by itself when i lock the doors? i dont want to just step on the brakes and start the car just to turn it off?

10) hidlights
what are good HID lights brand for its price? should i do 6k or 8k?

I have a 2014 I250 base model, nebula grey
Old 03-24-16, 11:59 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a pro, but I'll try to answer your questions the best I can

1) Is there an oil Percentage thing?
Ive searched all over google and the manual and nothing. I bought my car yesterday and I am still trying to figure it out. I am also by any means, a genius when it comes to cars.
My old honda accord, it shows the percentage of engine oil i still have left (i.e. 80% oil), and such as that. Or does it not exist?
There is no oil %, but you should change oil when you go for your 5k service anyway... so this should be no problem at all

2) bluetooth
I am stuck at the part for connecting my phone to my bluetooth. The car recognizes my phone via bluetooth and i can use it for music and picking up phone calls but i have no idea how to connect it so that it can pick up my text messages and emails.
Sorry.. can't help you on this. I don't bother reading texts and emails while driving. It's safer this way.

3) cool features?
are there any other buttons or something cool that i should know about? (i was a honda/acura owner for the longest time, so this is a big change).
I don't there is any "cool" buttons or anything on the regular IS..... but if you get the F-Sport IS, the instrument cluster moves physically, and you'll be able to customize things like your rev needle color, etc.

4) grill
i really love the fsport grill, but since i have a base model,can i switch my grill to the fsport one? will it fit? does anyone have a link to even getting it changed, step by step?
I don't think it's possible, since the shapes are different in the front (Correct me if I'm wrong...)

5) interior and license plate lights
same with grill, i want to change my interior lighting and license plate to white lights, which wattage or which ones do i buy? IS there an ebay or amazon link? is there a step by step youtube video?
Your license plate should already have white lights. If you want interior lighting, I got mine from HID Powerhouse: http://hidpowerhouse.com/lighting-ve...c-1_34_38.html
They are building a new website, so contacting them directly would be the best.

6) registration
i just bought the car from the dealership and i have not since received my tags, if i get pulled over, do i just give the officer the paper that is attached to my windsheild? how long does it take to come home? im in california by the way.
I believe I waited for a month or so for mine. Just be patient and wait. The paper on your windshield is your temporary registration, and it will work until you get your official one. I live in CA also.

7) proof of insurance
Since i just got the car, i added the vehicle to my current inurance policy but do not have the card and such for it. If i get pulled over, do i show the officers my current insurance card with the NAME OF MY PREVIOUS VEHICLE ON IT? Is that okay or do i must have the new insurance card with my current car
It should only take a few weeks for them to give you a new card.. If you're worried, call your insurance company and ask about it.

8)spoiler
i really want a spoiler, not too sure which one. what do you guys reconmend? if i get the one uncolored, is there a spray paint i can get to match to spray paint it myself or...?
I would just get the Lexus OEM spoiler. It looks great, and you won't have to paint it. But search around this forum. I think there are some people who paint their spoilers....

9) accessory mode
sometimes i sit in my car to do my homework for school, accessory mode is on so i can hear the radio, if i get out of my car, how do i shut off accessory mode? does it shut off by itself when i lock the doors? i dont want to just step on the brakes and start the car just to turn it off?
You don't have to start the car to turn it off. Just press the start-up button again without stepping on the brake, it should turn the car off

10) hidlights
what are good HID lights brand for its price? should i do 6k or 8k?
Google search on the colors and choose if you prefer. Basically 6K is more white. 8K is a bit blue already.

Hopefully this helps a little bit
Old 03-24-16, 01:43 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2. I don't remember the specific instructions, but I remember seeing how to do it in the manual. The setting was kinda hidden though. Also if you have an iPhone you'll have to enable message forwarding on the phone as well.

4. I believe it is possible to put the F-Sport grill on a non-F-Sport car. But you can't just get the grill. You have to get the F-Sport bumper with it as well. I'm fairly certain that doing this will be expensive.
Old 03-24-16, 08:07 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you guys! more input from others are definitely appreciated!!!

11) what kind of light bulbs does my base 2014 is250 come with? I keep hearing HID, and some saying LED...

12) i also have three buttons next to my driver seat. THe two i figured out are the button for power seating. There is a huge circle **** looking one, what is that for?
Old 03-24-16, 08:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If your IS came with the premium package (heated/ventilated seats) then you should have the LED headlights. Easiest way to know is if each light has two projectors, they're the LED, if they have one, it's the HIDs.

The circle **** should be for your lumbar support.
Old 03-24-16, 08:19 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6) it took me about a month to get my new tags

7) You can asked you insurance for a temp card that you can either print of have on you phone which is what my insurance(State Farm) sent me in the mean time.