IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Car jerks forward when backfiring, Joe Z catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 09:54 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Car jerks forward when backfiring, Joe Z catback

Hey guys hopefully someone can help, heres the situation...

running the joe z catback & joe z intake with f-sport filter on my is 350. The exhaust does backfire when slowing down, when the car downshifts from second to first thats normal and I've seen it in other threads as well. but heres the thing, lately I've noticed that when the car is downshifting and i DO NOT have my foot on the brake pedal or accelerator when the car is just rolling to a stop and the car backfires it jerks forward a little. its like the pressure from the backfire pushes the car forward a bit. its like you hear that pop from the backfire and the car pushes forward a little exactly when that occurs. when i have my foot on the brake and it backfires this does not happen from what i remember.

is this normal? or should i be concerned? i know the dealer would probably blame it on the exhaust.
thanks guys a little worried so would really appreciate any advice!
Old 03-23-16, 09:57 AM
AIK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upvote!!! I have the same problem too. I hope someone can help us out. Thanks!
Old 03-23-16, 10:49 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much of a push is it? I have a fully stock setup and I can feel a subtle push when it downshifts from 2 -> 1.
Old 03-23-16, 11:33 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Are you downshifting it yourself into 1st? Because you really don't need to. Even people who drive stick rarely go all the way down to 1st because of the intense braking effect it generates

I'd avoid going into first and let the car switch to first on its own after coming to a complete stop.
Old 03-23-16, 12:22 PM
Jskrapper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldengame
How much of a push is it? I have a fully stock setup and I can feel a subtle push when it downshifts from 2 -> 1.
+1
and

Originally Posted by brendanf
Are you downshifting it yourself into 1st? Because you really don't need to. Even people who drive stick rarely go all the way down to 1st because of the intense braking effect it generates

I'd avoid going into first and let the car switch to first on its own after coming to a complete stop.

+1

It is normal for a free flowing exhaust to "pop" or "gurgle" or "burp" on higher rev decel. But an actual backfire is hopefully not what you getting. I'll put money on the fact that it is the cars natural (or your own gear selecting) downshift that is slapping it into first. Also, in sport + mode, the downshift is much more "slappy".
Old 03-23-16, 02:50 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is normal. when the car is going a little fast for 1st gear. Engages into first, engine revs up, car nudges forward and then starts to slow down via the transmission if not on the brake.
Old 03-24-16, 02:12 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

phew , thanks guys. good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. and this would occur when the car is in auto not manual. so it would be downshifting on its own. i guess his tranny just downshifts hard into first?
Old 03-25-16, 10:24 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
phew , thanks guys. good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. and this would occur when the car is in auto not manual. so it would be downshifting on its own. i guess his tranny just downshifts hard into first?
this would be true for most cars
Old 03-26-16, 06:19 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that it's because the transmission downshifts hard into first, I think it's because first gear (at least in my AWD) has a fairly aggressive ratio so the difference between first and second is bigger than the difference between second and third.