IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front Bumper camera - anyone installed one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 08:26 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper camera - anyone installed one yet?

Since my IS is not my full time daily driver yet, I haven't gotten the hang of gauging the distance of my front bumper yet. This is especially critical since I lowered my car. Figured I would install a camera in the front bumper (using the backup-type cameras like this )

Was wondering if anyone has attempted this and if so, any tips or suggestions.

I also need to research where the AV feed is located on a 2014 350 FSport w/Nav and ML.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-16, 09:11 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...in-my-car.html
Pretty in-depth and complicated install, but front camera install non-the-less.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM53B22U.pdf
Page 173 for AV input location thru USB port.
Thanks Patrix. The PDF manual is helpful. After more searching on the forums, looks like I will need a bypass module if I want the display to go through the Nav screen; or wireless transmitter to go to my phone (hassle); or independent screen like you DIY link.
Old 03-23-16, 07:53 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I think Beatsonic is making camera interface box for front camera. I'm not sure how it works but it seems like you just plug the camera feed to the box, instead of A/V jack and it will let you switch to camera anytime you want without needing video in motion override.
Old 03-23-16, 09:31 AM
gqwolf
Rookie

That would be great if it works while in motion without the bypass.
Old 03-23-16, 01:29 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Confirmed that Beatsonic has something in the works for the AV without bypass.

Looks like I will have to go with a bypass system and AV adapter in the meantime. Beatsonic said the new cable will connect into a different port, so theoretically, I can use the front view camera and connect to my phone simultaneously via different adapters. Was looking at the VAISTECH system and Beatsonic. Eric (Beatsonic) has been really great at answering questions and working with me on getting the right wires for my set up (plus they have the AVC38 AV harness) so I decided to go with them. Will try to take pictures and a DIY of my install if all goes well. I'll probably go with a RCA 2-way switch for now to toggle between phone/dvd and front view camera once I get my harnesses in.
Old 03-23-16, 02:35 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by gqwolf
Confirmed that Beatsonic has something in the works for the AV without bypass.

Looks like I will have to go with a bypass system and AV adapter in the meantime. Beatsonic said the new cable will connect into a different port, so theoretically, I can use the front view camera and connect to my phone simultaneously via different adapters. Was looking at the VAISTECH system and Beatsonic. Eric (Beatsonic) has been really great at answering questions and working with me on getting the right wires for my set up (plus they have the AVC38 AV harness) so I decided to go with them. Will try to take pictures and a DIY of my install if all goes well. I'll probably go with a RCA 2-way switch for now to toggle between phone/dvd and front view camera once I get my harnesses in.
So you can have another A/V port with AVC38? I was told it was not possible.
Old 03-23-16, 02:48 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
So you can have another A/V port with AVC38? I was told it was not possible.
I'm sorry, but I miscommunicated. The future beatsonic adapter will provide a AV connection to work while moving. Let's call it the front camera adapter (FCA). This FCA, once release, will connect into the review camera plug.

If you also have the AVC38 adapater installed along with the DVD bypass, then theoretically you have the capability of the Front camera via FCA, and connection to the phone via AVC38 + DVD bypass.