IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why i'm probably not buying a Lexis IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 05:19 AM
aard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why i'm probably not buying a Lexis IS

I'm in the market for low end luxury car and have looked at the IS300 as well as the competition. I really wanted to like the Lexis IS because of the very high reliability rankings. Overall it seems like a good car, but it is killed by some relatively minor problems.

I just can't get over how horribly uncomfortable seats are. The seats are far too narrow and the bolsters stick into my kidneys, even though I am far from large. How is Lexus not aware of such a major problem?

I also dislike the screen and controls. The screen is too far away from driver eye position. The mouse control is unusable, especially if you are left handed like me. How is Lexus not aware of such a major problem?

The Mercedes C class 4matic is my preferred car in the class, but the reliability rankings are so hot, creating a major conflict. Is there any way to get around the Lexus problems? Can you learn to live with them?
Old 03-20-16, 05:27 AM
CrackerJac
Driver

1. Seats - The only thing I'm aware about is how comfortable my seats are. I guess its different strokes for different folks. I have had a lot of sports cars, two MKIV Supras, a C5 Vette, Evo, etc. and I prefer a sporty, firm seat. Getting into a base IS is completely different than an F-Sport however. Which IS did you sit in? The base IS felt like a sloppy fish compared to my form fitting glove in my F-Sport.

2. For me, the screen is a good distance away. I would *prefer* something closer, but I have near 20/20 vision so this is not an issue for me. I also *prefer* a touch screen, and at first the mouse with a hindrance- but after 3 months of ownership, I'm so used to it that its a piece of cake and I never think about it anymore.

3. The new '15+ C-Class is a beautiful car and one that I had to decided to buy over the Lexus for quite some time. The reason I chose to not buy the Mercedes is because I considered the reliability issues 5 years ahead. I also considered the resale value, comparing 5 year old C-Class' to 5 year old IS250's. It was that realization that forced me back to the IS, and when I look back at the time of my purchase, it was one of the happiest days of my life. Three months later and it is still my favorite car and I LOVE driving it.

I hope this helps!
Old 03-20-16, 05:38 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

The navigation is terrible and unusable I completely agree 200%.
However the seats to me are very comfortable. I guess it just depends on the person. The merc is very nice and if I wasn't planning on long term ownership or resale I would consider it as well. However the Lexus I felt truly felt better to me. And the only IS I would get is the 350.
Old 03-20-16, 05:43 AM
aard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evident
The navigation is terrible and unusable I completely agree 200%.
However the seats to me are very comfortable. I guess it just depends on the person. The merc is very nice and if I wasn't planning on long term ownership or resale I would consider it as well. However the Lexus I felt truly felt better to me. And the only IS I would get is the 350.
Why do you say you'd only get the 350? It is almost 8K more expensive and seems to offer little more than a bigger engine, which I don't care about.
Old 03-20-16, 07:50 AM
Crew
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"And the only IS I would get is the 350".

Originally Posted by aard
Why do you say you'd only get the 350? It is almost 8K more expensive and seems to offer little more than a bigger engine, which I don't care about.

If YOU read HIS post carefully, you'd realize he said what HE'D get----not what YOU and EVERYONE ELSE should get. Some drivers, like myself, simply prefer higher HP/weight ratio in a car than the IS250/200t offers----------for whatever reason. And, for others like myself, AWD is more suitable.

Since YOU quoted an $8k difference, YOU are comparing the 200t (not available in AWD) to a 350 F Sport AWD----and totally negating that AWD may suit may others more than you. The price difference between a 2016 200t rwd and 350 rwd is about $3500---not $8k.

So, YOU don't care about the larger engine or AWD----or the premium they cost............ Great.

...Glad you're happy and content with the car you've chosen at a price with features that suits you.
Old 03-20-16, 07:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think this is the first time I've seen someone say the seats are uncomfortable. I always found them to be excellent.

As for the nav, I enjoyed its location high up on the dash and used it all the time. The remote touch takes some time to adjust to, but it became second nature in no time.

The C Class has a beautiful interior but doesn't feel as sporty and I just can't get over the looks with the droopy rear end, but that's why we have choices.

Enjoy your Mercedes and I hope it treats you well.
Old 03-20-16, 08:09 AM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are some of the best seats I have ever sat in. That being said, dont but the Lexus if all these things are issues for you, you will not be happy. Lease the Mercedes and get rid of it after the lease is up, then you dont have to worry about reliability.
Old 03-20-16, 08:38 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

You can move to Europe that will solve your left handed problem.
Old 03-20-16, 08:49 AM
aard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Crew
"And the only IS I would get is the 350".

If YOU read HIS post carefully, you'd realize he said what HE'D get----not what YOU and EVERYONE ELSE should get. Some drivers, like myself, simply prefer higher HP/weight ratio in a car than the IS250/200t offers----------for whatever reason. And, for others like myself, AWD is more suitable.

Since YOU quoted an $8k difference, YOU are comparing the 200t (not available in AWD) to a 350 F Sport AWD----and totally negating that AWD may suit may others more than you. The price difference between a 2016 200t rwd and 350 rwd is about $3500---not $8k.

So, YOU don't care about the larger engine or AWD----or the premium they cost............ Great.

...Glad you're happy and content with the car you've chosen at a price with features that suits you.

If YOU read MY post carefully, I said that I was looking at the 300, which is AWD. The price difference IS over 8K. Try doing builds at lexus.ca and see for yourself.

Last edited by aard; 03-20-16 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 08:50 AM
skyfaye
Driver School Candidate

I love my IS200t F-Sport seats, front and rear. They are very comfortable. I find the screen control very easy to use but I don't have NAV. Have you consider not getting NAV? To me it's a waste of money and a pain to use. Your phone's nav is much cheaper and easier to use. These are the reason I didn't have NAV in my car.
Old 03-20-16, 08:51 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
all of europe save for the uk, ireland, malta and cyprus drives on the right hand of the road like north america.
Old 03-20-16, 08:53 AM
aard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
Exactly why would that help. All of continental Europe drives on the right like us. The bottom line is that Lexus has screwed up badly on basic ergonomics. In contrast, Mercedes supplies both a mouse and a **** so the user can choose the one that is easier to use
Old 03-20-16, 08:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by skyfaye
I love my IS200t F-Sport seats, front and rear. They are very comfortable. I find the screen control very easy to use but I don't have NAV. Have you consider not getting NAV? To me it's a waste of money and a pain to use. Your phone's nav is much cheaper and easier to use. These are the reason I didn't have NAV in my car.
i like the nav because it provides a quick reference point when i'm driving through unfamiliar or even familiar areas. i can easily identify where i am at a quick glance with an oem-integrated system. i find myself constantly looking at the map while driving, wherever i am.
Old 03-20-16, 09:12 AM
aard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think this is the first time I've seen someone say the seats are uncomfortable. I always found them to be excellent.

As for the nav, I enjoyed its location high up on the dash and used it all the time. The remote touch takes some time to adjust to, but it became second nature in no time.

The C Class has a beautiful interior but doesn't feel as sporty and I just can't get over the looks with the droopy rear end, but that's why we have choices.

Enjoy your Mercedes and I hope it treats you well.
I've seen some comments on the seats being not for everyone, but yeah, it's not mentioned a lot. I can't explain it other than to say seats have never been an issue for me in any car before. On the other hand, there are lots of complaints about the mouse control. It certainly true that the Mercedes isn't as sporty, but everything inside the cabin is well designed. That's a much more tangible and everyday benefit. But I doubt I buy it given the reliability reviews.

If I believe the reviews, the best compromise between reliability and overall quality is the Audi A4. It's almost always top 3 in ratings of both. I find it hard to get past how bad they used to be. Years ago, Phil Edmonston, author of the "Lemonaid" books ranking books, once said that the Audi "was the perfect car for a masochist." Ouch.

I realize that criticizing Lexus on a Lexus cite is bound to create some hostility in some people. I am well aware of the concept of cognitive dissonance. But really people, I'm trying to convince myself to buy one. I've always had excellent luck with Toyotas. So don't get so defensive.

Last edited by aard; 03-20-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 09:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

If handling isn't a big priority, then the IS may be the wrong car for you. It's the biggest advantage over its rivals. If you want a nice interior with decent driving dynamics, have you looked at Acura and Infiniti? It may be more your cup of tea. I would never ever ever get a car with seats that aren't comfortable. That should be an instant deal killer for you right there.

Quick Reply: Why i'm probably not buying a Lexis IS