IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Have you resisted temptation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 09:33 AM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you resisted temptation?

Or have you traded/upgraded from your 3IS? Just wanted to share my short story of keeping my 14 IS350 F-sport. It was shortly after I bought it that I started to look at other options with a bit more power. Hard to say why I did so shortly after buying a new to me car, but I did. I ended up test driving a 15 M235i just to see if it was worth trading in for. While the engine on that car is amazing, the handling wasn't noticeably better (no LSD and I didn't push the car extremely hard). The biggest turnoff for me besides losing money on trade-in was the overall looks of the BMW. The interior wasn't as good to me and the exterior didn't have any appeal either. I always look back at my IS, but I wasn't as enthralled with the M235i. Also, the seating position was too high compared to the IS. In the end, I decided that I would rather mod the IS than spend the money for the BMW.

Granted, I still get tempted to trade in for an ISF every now and then.
Old 03-15-16, 09:58 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a particular reason why you always think about trading your ISF? Is it because of the power as mentioned above or something else? I myself am trying to get my first ISF so it's nice to see these kind of feedback.
Old 03-15-16, 10:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I traded my 3IS for a 4GS. Loved my IS and still find it to be a better looker than the GS, but wanted some more interior luxury and space to better fit my growing family.
Old 03-15-16, 10:18 AM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I resisted...

I definitely know the feeling…

I purchased my first Lexus (2016 IS350 F-sport) early February & for the money, I couldn't be happier. Before pulling the trigger I weighed several options, comparing important personal stats & found the IS350 to be the best bang for my buck.

I traded in a 2011 Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport & knew I wanted something more powerful, yet reliable for my excessive annual driving. When car searching I was considering the: Mercedes E550, BMW 535I, 550I, Infiniti Q-70 Sport and the IS350 F AWD. Even though every car I test drove was more powerful & larger than the Lexus, ultimately the dollars & cents didn't add up. Some vehicles offered a sleeker external profile where others offered better technology packages…I simply couldn't resist the styling & reliability of the new IS F-Sport design!
Old 03-15-16, 10:33 AM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Is there a particular reason why you always think about trading your ISF? Is it because of the power as mentioned above or something else? I myself am trying to get my first ISF so it's nice to see these kind of feedback.
As a small nitpick I have a is350 f sport which is different from the more powerful ISF. In any case I felt like my search for more power was somewhat irrational. I don't track or autocross and even on my weekend drives it can be hard to fully use the power I have. The is350 has solid power especially if you keep the revs up around 4000 or higher. It probably has enough power for the vast majority of drivers out there. That being said having a bit more low end power/torque would be nice and if a supercharger ever comes out I'll probably jump on it lol. Really that's my only big complaint about the car and I love everything else... otherwise I would've traded.