IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Seat cracking

Old 03-17-16, 09:14 AM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I did ask how did something like this happen and they said it was wear and tear... I don't think it was at 21K miles..
Old 03-17-16, 10:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
Although I did ask how did something like this happen and they said it was wear and tear... I don't think it was at 21K miles..
My car is at 15k and my seats look like the day i bought the car I guess the prior owner was abusive on the seats.
Old 03-17-16, 10:14 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats on the great customer service from JM Lexus.
Now that you have a new seat cover, be mindful when you get in and out of the car and you should be fine.
Old 03-17-16, 02:05 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Unfortunately when I was getting ready to leave for my drive back up north to Orlando I noticed a very deep scratch(picture does not do it justice) so I went back to JM Lexus and they are replacing that part from another car just like my seat, seems like I should name my car Frankenstien lol
Old 03-17-16, 02:36 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

All done
Old 03-22-16, 08:11 PM
Redshift
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch on those seats. I got an interior treatment plan on my interior from my dealer and it covers rips, tears, stains and cracking.
Old 03-23-16, 01:24 PM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Onz
Interesting - I just noticed something similar yesterday, looks like part of that thin leather covering has flaked off (maybe it cracked first like yours and I didn't notice right away). These things can't be considered normal wear and tear after less than two years right?? I'm hoping for warranty work.

As an update to my earlier post, the local Lexus dealership at first stated this is caused by 'normal' wear and tear and thus would NOT be eligible for warranty repair. However, after speaking further with the head of their service department, he spoke to the Canadian warranty rep on my behalf and Lexus WILL repair my seat and acknowledge it as a defect (though corporate indicates it's a one-time deal - if it happens again, no such luck).

All in all I'm pleased with the service of my particular dealership and hope that Lexus gives some thought to improving the durability of the seat bolster for future IS models given that area seems highly prone to heavy wear due to how one gets in and out of the car.
Old 03-24-16, 03:51 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz
As an update to my earlier post, the local Lexus dealership at first stated this is caused by 'normal' wear and tear and thus would NOT be eligible for warranty repair. However, after speaking further with the head of their service department, he spoke to the Canadian warranty rep on my behalf and Lexus WILL repair my seat and acknowledge it as a defect (though corporate indicates it's a one-time deal - if it happens again, no such luck).

All in all I'm pleased with the service of my particular dealership and hope that Lexus gives some thought to improving the durability of the seat bolster for future IS models given that area seems highly prone to heavy wear due to how one gets in and out of the car.
Please keep us posted. Glad to see it is covered under warranty. It is actually unacceptable to see 'normal wear and tear' of such an extent to a 1-2 year old car, not to mention the crease on the bottom portion. Saying it as normal wear and tear really insults the customers' intelligence.

Mine is in perfect condition because for non F-Sport 3IS, most of the seating surfaces are leather and the side bolsters are not as aggressive as that of F- Sport. But the durability of Nuluxe F-Sport is bothersome as Lexus continues to use it in future cars.
Old 03-24-16, 04:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Depends on how big you are and how you get in/out of the car as to how well the side bolsters on your seat hold up. Main thing is don't slide over or down the bolster when you get in. Especially sliding down with your butt over the bolster.

Oh and this is a pretty common problem, especially on cars that sit really low like a Corvette. Some people's seat bolsters look fine after 30-40k miles in that car, some people have torn it up with foam sticking out after 20k miles. Although the leather in that car is pure junk, at least on C5 and C6 Corvettes.
Old 04-11-16, 04:36 PM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
Please keep us posted. Glad to see it is covered under warranty. It is actually unacceptable to see 'normal wear and tear' of such an extent to a 1-2 year old car, not to mention the crease on the bottom portion. Saying it as normal wear and tear really insults the customers' intelligence.

Mine is in perfect condition because for non F-Sport 3IS, most of the seating surfaces are leather and the side bolsters are not as aggressive as that of F- Sport. But the durability of Nuluxe F-Sport is bothersome as Lexus continues to use it in future cars.
Update: the dealership installed a new seat back in my IS today which was appreciated. However, they did not change out the base so the crease remains.
Old 04-11-16, 09:24 PM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz
Update: the dealership installed a new seat back in my IS today which was appreciated. However, they did not change out the base so the crease remains.
Thank goodness it was resolved accordingly
Man I hate those creases
Reminds me of the leather in my 12 Accord coupe!
Old 04-26-16, 10:23 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz
Interesting - I just noticed something similar yesterday, looks like part of that thin leather covering has flaked off (maybe it cracked first like yours and I didn't notice right away). These things can't be considered normal wear and tear after less than two years right?? I'm hoping for warranty work.

I had the EXACT thing happen to me (in the same spot nonetheless) and mine is a 2015. Luckily, Lexus corporate gave my dealership the approval to replace the backing. This is NOT normal wear and tear (the NuLuxe is too damn thin!). Hope this helps everyone else that reads this page.
Old 04-28-16, 10:44 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
(the NuLuxe is too damn thin!).
It is, this is what turned me off to NuLuxe upon closer inspection.
Old 05-05-16, 08:36 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for this thread everyone.

I'm nearing lease-end and noticed the driver's seat wear pictured.

Should I leave alone or bring to my dealer. Should be covered under warranty, correct?

In all, would rather not make an issue and return car with same, as long as does not pose a lease return repair problem.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Seat cracking-fullsizerender-2.jpg   Seat cracking-fullsizerender-1.jpg  
Old 05-05-16, 01:24 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You should bring it to the dealer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat cracking