IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking to buy a 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport, need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 12:24 PM
cfacino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport, need opinions!

Hey guys, first post. I'm looking into buying a 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport (Pearl White, Red Interior, 20,000 miles) and just wanted to get current owners opinions on the car.
- How do you like it?
- Have you had any problems with the car?
- For those of you with red interior is it still holding up? (I've only had black interior so wanted to see how the red one holds up to constant use)
-Is there anything you wish you wouldve looked at before you bought the car?
-Any additional options or packages you wish you wouldve bought with the car?

also feel free to include anything else you think would be beneficial for me before I buy one!
I've never owned a Lexus before, so I'm excited to finally get one.

Thank you!
Old 03-07-16, 01:37 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are 10x more reliable than their german competitors.
They look way better than their Japanese and American competitors.
The red interior holds up fine.

My only complaint is that the paint is soft and scratches easy. Nothing a good polishing can't fix though.

Buy it and have fun. I know guys with 1IS and 2IS with 150k on the clock and all they did was change the oil, brakes and tires. No other issues.
Old 03-07-16, 01:38 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfacino
- How do you like it?
2014 obsidian black/rioja red here. It's been great so far. The car has a nice combination of smooth normal driving and sporty handling when I want it. The exterior looks a lot better in person and I always look back on my car when I leave it. The interior has a nice cockpit feel to it and the seats are great.

- Have you had any problems with the car?
None so far. As far nitpicks, there's the whole cupholder being in an awkward spot. Also, the infotainment/nav kinda sucks, but I use my phone for nav anyways. The car could use more low-end torque and a few more horses in my opinion. Finally, obsidian black is a pain to keep clean and take care of, but you won't have to worry about that.

- For those of you with red interior is it still holding up? (I've only had black interior so wanted to see how the red one holds up to constant use)
The red still looks great. A lot of my friends love the interior color.

-Is there anything you wish you wouldve looked at before you bought the car?
Maybe a used ISF lol. I test drove an Infiniti Q50, BMW 328i, Honda Accord V6 coupe before buying my car. I also test drove a BMW M235i after my purchase and still kept my car.

-Any additional options or packages you wish you wouldve bought with the car?
I have pretty much all the major options for the 2014: ML, Nav, moonroof, VGRS. I think the ML is worth it, but I would listen to both the ML and standard system to see if you really want it. Nav is kinda useless but I think certain features like backup camera are attached to it. I've used the moonroof less than I expected. I think rolling your windows down is still the best way to drive on a nice day.
Old 03-07-16, 01:40 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid101
They are 10x more reliable than their german competitors.
They look way better than their Japanese and American competitors.
The red interior holds up fine.

My only complaint is that the paint is soft and scratches easy. Nothing a good polishing can't fix though.

Buy it and have fun. I know guys with 1IS and 2IS with 150k on the clock and all they did was change the oil, brakes and tires. No other issues.
I agree with Vivid101! These cars are so reliable they will last you an entire life! Regarding the paint being soft, make sure you get a paint coating on it to protect the paint & clear coat. I learned it the hard way!
Old 03-07-16, 01:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Watch out for battery drain issue especially 2014 model. My battery was replaced by dealer hasn't happened again yet.
Old 03-07-16, 04:04 PM
f16mobus1
Driver School Candidate

No complaints here! except for my wife when I do 132+mph....
2014 Black on Black IS350 F Sport! and 13,537 miles on it now...
Old 03-07-16, 04:14 PM
SLMis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it but my only complaint that I wish I would have looked into sooner is aftermarket options, they are limited to bolt ons (exhaust, intake, and exterior parts) and at that, limited to the companies that decide it is enough of a sports car to develop products for. The power does the job but I don't like knowing that there isn't any more available.

That said, it is smooth, the seats feel great, the dash and digital tac are, in my opinion, way cleaner and better looking than any analog tac, and it looks great from so many angles (I catch a few long stares from time to time)

other cars I would have wanted to check out: E36-92 M3, 370Z Nismo, Infiniti (power/aftermarket support) but those would be in the shop more in a few years than an IS will probably ever be
Old 03-07-16, 04:16 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLMis
I love it but my only complaint that I wish I would have looked into sooner is aftermarket options, they are limited to bolt ons (exhaust, intake, and exterior parts) and at that, limited to the companies that decide it is enough of a sports car to develop products for. The power does the job but I don't like knowing that there isn't any more available.
There is tuning available for the 3IS now. Stillen has been developing a supercharger for some months now, being delayed by CARB issues. But yeah, the aftermarket support isn't as vast as other brands.
Old 03-07-16, 09:03 PM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Car is great. Few minor complaints

The navigation is a complete joke and completely unusable but don't let it prevent you from getting the car.

My car has a rattling noise at full throttle and at high rpms. Will take it to the dealer when I have free time. You may want to check for that.
Old 03-07-16, 09:29 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't get this if straight line speed is a priority
Old 03-07-16, 11:26 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

I have the ultra white with red - took me months to find the car, colors, and price I wanted. Love the color combo. No real regrets. There are a few options I wish was available for the IS like folding side mirrors and memory seats - but I got over it. I was torn between the GS and the IS, but went with the IS since I don't have kiddos yet and am often time the only one in the car. We have a 2016 MDX as the passenger/ big cargo car. I figured I would have fun with the IS, plus it looks better than the GS IMHO. The GS rear reminds me of an accord at times. That said, I'll probably get the GS as my next car years from now - hopefully their design improves.

Good luck and go with what makes you smile. I know I do everytime I get behind the wheel.
Old 03-08-16, 01:03 PM
cfacino
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys thank you for all the great replies! I really appreciate it. From the sounds of it it sounds like its an incredible car, and I cant wait to purchase one. But one last thing I noticed is there is no remote start on the key FOB, but I did hear that Lexus released an app called Lexus Res+ that may be able to start you car remotely. Is this true for the '14 IS350? Has anyone used it and does it work properly?
Old 03-08-16, 02:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Hey guys thank you for all the great replies! I really appreciate it. From the sounds of it it sounds like its an incredible car, and I cant wait to purchase one. But one last thing I noticed is there is no remote start on the key FOB, but I did hear that Lexus released an app called Lexus Res+ that may be able to start you car remotely. Is this true for the '14 IS350? Has anyone used it and does it work properly?
Only 2015 and up. Also requires a $2-300 per year subscription.
Old 03-08-16, 03:03 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all 2015's and some 2014's have it. I have it free for a year.

IF you get a 2015, you can press the lock button 3 times, on the 3rd time hold it down until the hazards start blinking, let go and it will remote start with out the app. just hit the lock button to turn off the car.
Old 03-08-16, 06:29 PM
phoenix888
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gqwolf
I have the ultra white with red - took me months to find the car, colors, and price I wanted. Love the color combo. No real regrets. There are a few options I wish was available for the IS like folding side mirrors and memory seats - but I got over it. I was torn between the GS and the IS, but went with the IS since I don't have kiddos yet and am often time the only one in the car. We have a 2016 MDX as the passenger/ big cargo car. I figured I would have fun with the IS, plus it looks better than the GS IMHO. The GS rear reminds me of an accord at times. That said, I'll probably get the GS as my next car years from now - hopefully their design improves.

Good luck and go with what makes you smile. I know I do everytime I get behind the wheel.
Couldn't Agree More...

Found my 2014 UW/RR RWD IS350 FSport in December with only 12k Miles. Like above, folding side mirrors and memory seats would be awesome, but hardly a deal breaker.

The White on Red is so SICK, everyone from the Exec's, to the Family, to the Hunnies love the look.

I don't like Red, and always thought Red Interior was a little over the top. But they got the shade right, a deep dark red that makes your interior POP, but no so much that you look like a Try Hard.

So far I LOVE the car, everything about it makes me happy. More power would always be welcome, but the car has more than enough huevos to get you in and around the traffic you'll run into on a day to day basis.

Car already had the ML and the Blind Spot Monitoring, I didn't even care if it came with these options, but after having them they make driving much more enjoyable (ML) and safer (BSM- More than once that BEEP made me look again and sure enough an @$$ hole moved over into the lane with no signal)

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport, need opinions!