IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation Keeps rebooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 11:14 AM
jb4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Keeps rebooting

Haven't been able to find anything specifically on this issue. Yesterday my navigation system won't boot up all the way. I get the Lexus screen then the warnings screen then it repeats again and again. I had hoped leaving the car off overnight would "fix" the issue but NO. Today I removed the negative on the battery to hope to reset the system. I got the loading screen then the normal lexus/warnings screen then again with repeating. I don't have a dealership nearby so I would love any feedback or remedies. I read where the nav unit was located in the trunk on the right side but I was unable to find it by simply lifting the spare tire cover. Thanks!
Old 02-24-16, 04:03 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

just go to the dealer
Old 02-24-16, 05:24 PM
Jskrapper
Driver School Candidate

Agreed. This diagnosis is beyond the scope of us e-chanichs. It doesn't seem to be a common enough problem to obtain search results with suggestions for you either. I'll second the reply that a trip to the dealer is necessary.
Old 02-25-16, 12:31 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

the navigation is part of the main stereo headunit.
It is amplifier that is located in the trunk on right side quarter panel.

it might be best for you to make visit for dealership to look at.
Are you able to at least still use the Radio?
Old 02-25-16, 07:22 AM
HTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my navigation unit, jb4. The navigation would constantly reboot on its own and eventually it stopped working completely and I was left with a blank screen. No audio working. Only thing that would work was the rear view camera. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the entire unit. Took about a week to get the part/put it in.

Unfortunately, this happened a second time a few weeks later but at least I had audio (screen was blank but it was stuck on the last XM channel I had been listening to before the unit went out). Took it to the dealer and they ordered another unit. Same process/timeline. They claimed when the first unit was replaced they forgot to apply an update and it caused the problem to arise again.
Old 02-25-16, 10:14 AM
jb4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HTXLexus
I had the same problem with my navigation unit, jb4. The navigation would constantly reboot on its own and eventually it stopped working completely and I was left with a blank screen. No audio working. Only thing that would work was the rear view camera. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the entire unit. Took about a week to get the part/put it in.

Unfortunately, this happened a second time a few weeks later but at least I had audio (screen was blank but it was stuck on the last XM channel I had been listening to before the unit went out). Took it to the dealer and they ordered another unit. Same process/timeline. They claimed when the first unit was replaced they forgot to apply an update and it caused the problem to arise again.
This sounds like my issue. I have nothing. That unit controls it all. Bluetooth, stereo everything. I was just hoping there was something I could try before driving two hours to my nearest Lexus dealer. I took the negative off the battery, let it sit, no luck. I found the box in the trunk. Unplugged it. Nothing. The system even gave the reboot sequence like it was reading data but still didn't progress any further that the Warnings/instructions screen.
Old 02-25-16, 10:15 AM
jb4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
the navigation is part of the main stereo headunit.
It is amplifier that is located in the trunk on right side quarter panel.

it might be best for you to make visit for dealership to look at.
Are you able to at least still use the Radio?
No. The unit doesn't go past the instructions/warnings screen. Just a constant loop of rebooting
Old 02-25-16, 10:53 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rebooting sounds like there's some sort of uncaught exception happening. I've noticed with my system that this is most common when trying to load the nav and when trying to connect to your phone via Bluetooth. Unfortunately there's probably nothing you can do to fix the error other than going to the dealer and having them replace it/flash it.

To workaround the problem in the short term, my first suggestion would be to turn off Bluetooth on your phone if it's paired with you car. If that works, then you know there's some sort of uncaught Bluetooth error within the nav unit; maybe the Lexus techs can pass that knowledge to corporate when you bring it in. If it doesn't work, then I would take out the SD card with the nav data on it. If it works, then the nav data is probably corrupted; the dealer may be able to just give you a new SD card.
Old 02-25-16, 12:02 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I thought i also toss this out as well. Maybe make sure nothing is attached to the USB ports inside the armrest and see if this helps as well.
Old 02-25-16, 01:56 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jb4
Haven't been able to find anything specifically on this issue. Yesterday my navigation system won't boot up all the way. I get the Lexus screen then the warnings screen then it repeats again and again. I had hoped leaving the car off overnight would "fix" the issue but NO. Today I removed the negative on the battery to hope to reset the system. I got the loading screen then the normal lexus/warnings screen then again with repeating. I don't have a dealership nearby so I would love any feedback or remedies. I read where the nav unit was located in the trunk on the right side but I was unable to find it by simply lifting the spare tire cover. Thanks!
Had the same issue but in my case the dealer reinstalled software and updated the firmware, but looks like the issues could go beyond that.

At this point haven't had any more issues.
Old 02-25-16, 03:14 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an issue 2-3 times where the whole system seems a bit slow then it just restarts once. After restarting, it resumes normal operation until the process happens again. There is no pattern as to when it happens or the frequency.
Old 02-25-16, 03:31 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

If you guys keep having restarts/freezes, you definitely need to let the dealer know. I was having random restarts (usually soon after starting the car) and took it to the dealer. I had taken a video and sent it to the dealer as well. They did an update and that worked temporarily. After it happened again, they had a Lexus tech check it out. It was determined that I had a corrupted unit and it was replaced.
Old 03-10-16, 08:49 AM
jb4
Driver School Candidate

After taking it into the dealer it was determined that I had a complete failure of the unit. Getting replaced Saturday. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-29-16, 12:21 PM
gregj28
Driver School Candidate

I got my entire entertainment system replaced because of this issue about a month ago. Today it started happening again. make them look deeper into the issue. ive had my car for 2.5 years. its been at the dealer for about 60 total days them trying to fix the issue. I thought the new entertainment unit would have been the fix but it's just a terrible system.