IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 09:57 AM
Fantasy332
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Brake Dust

I have the stock alloy rims that comes with the IS300 F sport but it gets really dirty easily with all the brake dust. I'm just wondering, what do you guys use to clean it off? Sorry I'm new to this... kinda noob. THANKS
Old 02-20-16, 10:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I personally like using Meguiars DUB wheel cleaner. It's effective at breaking down brake dust, but gentle enough that it won't harm your wheel's surface. Not sure if they have it in Canada, but I found mine at Walmart.
Old 02-20-16, 10:22 AM
Fantasy332
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I personally like using Meguiars DUB wheel cleaner. It's effective at breaking down brake dust, but gentle enough that it won't harm your wheel's surface. Not sure if they have it in Canada, but I found mine at Walmart.
Thanks for the insight! I'll take a look into it!
Old 02-20-16, 11:54 AM
Avi8orco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the brake pads. I was cleaning mine every two days when I bought the car with the stock pads. Now that I have the Akebono ProAct ceramics on it, I clean them with the regular car wash soap and once a week with the rest of the car. There is very little dust and what little is there comes off easy, no special cleaners required.
Old 02-20-16, 05:22 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Fsport versions of car kicks out more brake dust. (Performance pads)
Get brake pads replaced for one from non Fsport version and it will drastically lower brake dust on wheels.
Old 02-20-16, 09:39 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Avi8orco
Change the brake pads. I was cleaning mine every two days when I bought the car with the stock pads. Now that I have the Akebono ProAct ceramics on it, I clean them with the regular car wash soap and once a week with the rest of the car. There is very little dust and what little is there comes off easy, no special cleaners required.
The pads seem to be the consensus on the CL forum. Just got mine in the mail. Will switch them out once my caliper paint gets in too.

As for cleaning, I just hose my rims off before I wash with a sponge and soap. Shines like new for me.
Old 02-20-16, 11:41 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Just a questions regarding the stock brake pads on the f sports.

How long do they last tho? I mean, if they create so much dust, won't they wear off sooner than normal?

I also have a 2016 is350 f sport. And I do notice my rims getting dirty rather quickly
Old 02-20-16, 11:59 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by nathantse
Just a questions regarding the stock brake pads on the f sports.

How long do they last tho? I mean, if they create so much dust, won't they wear off sooner than normal?

I also have a 2016 is350 f sport. And I do notice my rims getting dirty rather quickly
Just depends on your braking habits. Some people reported as soon as 10k, some longer. In general, the stock F-sport has great bite, but wears out quicker as a result. On a positive side, since the F Sport whhels are gun metal, you can't notice from far away.
Old 02-21-16, 12:02 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gqwolf
Just depends on your braking habits. Some people reported as soon as 10k, some longer. In general, the stock F-sport has great bite, but wears out quicker as a result. On a positive side, since the F Sport whhels are gun metal, you can't notice from far away.
Ehhh... I say I have a pretty smooth braking habits. I mean on my Mazda6, 40k miles, have't yet change the stock pads loool.

and I agree, the color of the rim makes it unnoticeable. But, when I touch it, oh man its dirty af.
Old 02-21-16, 12:07 AM
gqwolf
Rookie

Ehhh... I say I have a pretty smooth braking habits. I mean on my Mazda6, 40k miles, have't yet change the stock pads loool.

and I agree, the color of the rim makes it unnoticeable. But, when I touch it, oh man its dirty af.
Try the Akebono Pro Act pads. Ceramic pads with reportly much less dust. Most CL members have done this with positive results. You can get on eBay for less than $40 a pair I think.
Old 02-21-16, 12:12 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gqwolf
Try the Akebono Pro Act pads. Ceramic pads with reportly much less dust. Most CL members have done this with positive results. You can get on eBay for less than $40 a pair I think.
I'll keep that in mind, my car is still pretty new ~1000 miles. Gonna look into that when its time to change em.
Old 02-21-16, 01:35 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I'll keep that in mind, my car is still pretty new ~1000 miles. Gonna look into that when its time to change em.
Ha-ha I think I changed mines out at less than 1000 miles when the car was new Cuz I read about all the people complaining about the dust and saw it myself owning the car for a week
Old 02-21-16, 03:16 AM
Avi8orco
Rookie

My 16 350F had 900 on the clock when I replaced them with the akebonos. Dealer said the brakes break-in at around 500 and it seems they're right because I think they got worse. Clean the car and after a day, 20 mile drive you swipe your finger on the rim and it was black. I replaced all 4 corners. I know the back is a little overkill but for a total of $82, it was well worth it. Changing the pads on the 350 is the easiest brake job I've ever done on any car. You can literally do the fronts with a small plier, a c-clamp, and a can of brakleen.
Old 02-24-16, 08:41 AM
emarques
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone share the part number for Akebono Brake Pads for the 2016 IS300 F? Thanks!
Old 02-24-16, 11:02 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Avi8orco
My 16 350F had 900 on the clock when I replaced them with the akebonos. Dealer said the brakes break-in at around 500 and it seems they're right because I think they got worse. Clean the car and after a day, 20 mile drive you swipe your finger on the rim and it was black. I replaced all 4 corners. I know the back is a little overkill but for a total of $82, it was well worth it. Changing the pads on the 350 is the easiest brake job I've ever done on any car. You can literally do the fronts with a small plier, a c-clamp, and a can of brakleen.
Do you mind sharing the website you got them from?

Quick Reply: Brake Dust