IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone else having this problem with steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 10:40 AM
ISprobs01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else having this problem with steering wheel?

Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like the padding is coming through the stitches on the leather-wrapped steering wheel. The entire wheel is like this. The car is only six months old.

Dealership and corporate both say it's a normal characteristic of the car. Not the end of the world, but really? Not the best craftsmanship and fit-and-finish.

Old 02-19-16, 11:12 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It sucks to hear that type of response from Lexus.
Old 02-19-16, 12:21 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Get this into the media wheres thousands/millions can see this. They will definitely take action and get you a new one.
Old 02-19-16, 01:25 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

That doesn't look like padding to me.. That just looks like the backside of the leather peaking out along the seam.. It is normal since the leather is pulled tight as it is stitched.
Old 03-14-16, 07:55 AM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

While I think my stitching is holding up, I'm starting to see striations at the bottom and sides of the F-Sport steering wheel. Getting lateral stretching in the black perforated portion of the steering wheel and circular marks on the grey portion, one of which has turned into a full peel.

Old 03-14-16, 08:02 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenis
Get this into the media wheres thousands/millions can see this. They will definitely take action and get you a new one.

This would definitely be a Emmy winning news story. "Would you just look at these steering wheels?" Then have some poor sap crying on camera about how his life is ruined.
Old 03-14-16, 05:54 PM
Spamboi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is like that also, except its only on the right side of it. The left side is perfectly fine, can't see any of the inside of the leather. I'm going to mention it to my dealership once I get my next oil change.
Old 03-14-16, 06:29 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz
While I think my stitching is holding up, I'm starting to see striations at the bottom and sides of the F-Sport steering wheel. Getting lateral stretching in the black perforated portion of the steering wheel and circular marks on the grey portion, one of which has turned into a full peel.

Do you recall how does happened? or is a just wear and tear? How long have you owned the car?
Old 03-14-16, 06:35 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz

This is typically, caused by rings worn when driving. Lexus used really soft leather on the steering to give you the "best" luxurious feeling. but it is not durable.
Old 03-14-16, 06:37 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ISprobs01
Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like the padding is coming through the stitches on the leather-wrapped steering wheel. The entire wheel is like this. The car is only six months old.

Dealership and corporate both say it's a normal characteristic of the car. Not the end of the world, but really? Not the best craftsmanship and fit-and-finish.

This is normal, my dad's S Class looks just like this, if you zoom in and stare. haha. I think BMW's have a different stitch method.
Old 03-15-16, 06:57 AM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse
Do you recall how does happened? or is a just wear and tear? How long have you owned the car?
It's just wear and tear as I don't wear rings - car is 2014 F-Sport with 45,000km. The dealership mechanic mentioned he's seen one other car with the same circular marks but hadn't heard back whether corporate would cover it under warranty.

Last edited by Onz; 03-15-16 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-15-16, 08:19 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's really strange. I've had my car for 8 months now and my steering wheel looks brand new. I can't see any cracks or rips in it and the stitching is fine. When it's warm out though, I use a windshield cover to protect the interior from sun and heat damage, so maybe that makes a difference?
Old 03-15-16, 08:53 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz

I would try to take it up to the dealership and see what they say. Certainly Lexus leather used on the steering wheel is on the soft side. Certainly wear and tear happen on leather but not as early as on a 2-year old car, especially we are talking about peeling and not scuff marks.

Mine is looking great (also 2014 3IS) as I never hold my steering wheel with bare hands. Always wear gloves as I don't want to mar any surfaces in the interior.