IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Coilovers or Springs
Coilover
53.33%
Springs
46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Coilovers or Springs. Which one did you guys choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 11:07 PM
Chiubacca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers or Springs. Which one did you guys choose?

Hey guys, can't decide between coilovers and springs. Any suggestions? Will springs like the RSR downs damage the shock? And how about the AVS vs coilover ride quality? How many of you guys sacrificed AVS for coilovers besides the J5 coilovers.
Old 02-15-16, 11:20 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Any non sport shocks will gradually be damaged from lowering springs. Sport shocks are designed to be compatible with a lowered vehicle.

Many people are stuck about the ride quality from oem springs with AVS, aftermarket springs, coilovers, or air suspension. But why? It's subjective, people will have different definition on what good ride quality is(One will think a stock LS feels good, like a boat, not firm or hard. On the other hand, one who owns a track car that is balanced and firm will say it feels good, so who is right?).

In most cases, ride quality will be fine. The people suffering most from ride quality is anyone running small, stretched tires. I DO NOT recommend 20's on this car, at most 19's just for the looks, 18's for the track. Tires have a huge effect on overall ride quality, not just shocks and springs.

I personally have RSR Coilovers. I initially wanted to track the car, but decided to get another car for that.

Coilovers are meant to dial in perfect balance for the car at the track, and as a secondary benefit, you can lower it to your desire with the right wheel/tire combo.

------------

In order to help you, we must figure out, how much do you want to spend? What do you plan to do with the car? Is it for show? Are you tracking it?

If you want to track the car, get the coilovers.

If you have the money, not looking to track, highly recommend bags.

If it's to show off, and you're the type to have a neck breaking wheel setup, without paying the upfront cost of air suspension, get the coilovers.

If you're not looking to spend much regardless of situation, springs is the budget friendly option. Just keep in mind if you're into the crazy wheel/tire setups this is not the option to go with, because springs are generally too soft, and you won't get that low, desired fitment.

Although with coilovers you're able to kill two birds with one stone. You can track it, and you can also achieve a neck breaking stance with the right wheel/tire setup.

I recommend doing it right the first time. Instead of getting springs now, and coilovers later, which most people do.

Bottom line, what do you want to do, and how much do you want to spend?

Last edited by Brokenis; 02-16-16 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 11:25 PM
Chiubacca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brokenis
The question you should be asking is, how much do you wanna spend, what do you want to do with the car?
The most I would spend would be on RSR coilovers if I were to ditch the AVS system.
Old 02-16-16, 12:51 AM
Brokenis
Driver

Originally Posted by Chiubacca
The most I would spend would be on RSR coilovers if I were to ditch the AVS system.
If you go with coilovers, only the dampening is disabled(Some say steering feel, but my car doesn't feel that way going from eco->sport).

IMO, the AVS dampening is mediocre at best. You can feel it, but it's not a big difference between the modes.

Once I set the dampening on the coilovers to how I want it, I never touch it afterwards.

Adjusting the dampening just isn't something someone will change all the time. There's no point to, unless you really gotta change something.

Especially if it's dialed into 3 modes only, you're limited to a certain amount of dampening from eco, norm and sport.

I do not recommend J5 for this reason, because just like the AVS, you're limited to a specific amount of dampening from eco, norm, and sport. You can ride soft on eco, but not on sport. Vice versa. To me it's very limiting, even when I don't change it.

If you run a lowered car with flush wheel specs, you never want to have soft anything.

Last edited by Brokenis; 02-16-16 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 10:28 AM
Chiubacca
Driver School Candidate

I only use the sport mode anyways. Really interested now but I might go for ARK's lowering springs for a cheaper method of lowering until I can get bags.
Old 02-16-16, 12:17 PM
sandiegoer
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use f sport spring. Perfect drop for my seibon front lip
Old 02-16-16, 01:35 PM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to the Lexus world but in the past I've always preferred coilover systems.
@ Brokenis, excellent write up!

PS- Am I alone in wishing Lexus did a lower stock stance with the IS!? Such a sporty overall look but the wheel gap is HUGE...
Old 02-16-16, 02:19 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im currently on RSR half downs, very slight drop but enough to close the wheel gap.

little bumpier then OE, but nothing crazy.
Old 02-16-16, 03:31 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're just wanting to lower the car primarily so it looks better then coilovers would be a waste. If you go with mild springs like RSR down's the oem shocks will be fine. Lexus's f sport lowering springs drop nearly as much as the downs do and still retains the factory warranty.