IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking to trade red leather seats question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 08:26 AM
Snoochies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to trade red leather seats question

Hi, this is my first lexus I've ever owned and first post in this forum. I've been a long time nasioc member and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but here it goes.

I just bought an is250 and If I wanted to swap my red seats and door panels with someone for a different color trim all airbags from new seats will register once swap is done and battery reconnected right?

I'm pretty sure it will I've done this with other vehicles just double checking before I start a trade thread.

Thanks, Dusty.

Last edited by Snoochies; 02-06-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 09:28 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Seats with airbags in them, what? I've never heard of that.

I also don't think there are any airbags behind the door panels but I think there is one behind the a-pillar trim or above the doors, or both.
Old 02-06-16, 09:35 AM
Snoochies
Driver School Candidate

Yes there a quite a few seats with airbags. If this doesn't have any perfect but I have a wrx that does.
Old 02-08-16, 01:56 AM
Silver250F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Snoochies
Hi, this is my first lexus I've ever owned and first post in this forum. I've been a long time nasioc member and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but here it goes.

I just bought an is250 and If I wanted to swap my red seats and door panels with someone for a different color trim all airbags from new seats will register once swap is done and battery reconnected right?

I'm pretty sure it will I've done this with other vehicles just double checking before I start a trade thread.

Thanks, Dusty.
I'll trade you for my black f sport seats? Mines are super clean only 4.8k miles on car. Where you located?
Old 02-08-16, 07:03 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Machine13
Seats with airbags in them, what? I've never heard of that.

I also don't think there are any airbags behind the door panels but I think there is one behind the a-pillar trim or above the doors, or both.
The 2016 IS has 2 additional air bags in the rear seats for side impact protection. They are in the head bolster.
Old 02-09-16, 07:42 AM
yogibear
Driver School Candidate

Yes the front seats have airbags and the rear seat side bolster things have airbags. I am just waiting for the rear seat side bolsters to arrive, but the front seats hooked up with no problems. I just did the swap from red to black for the whole interior.
Old 02-09-16, 11:01 PM
Silver250F
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting for response from OP. Want to trade my black for his red. What about the AC system in the seats since I have 2015 and he has a 2014. How will that work?
Old 02-09-16, 11:31 PM
ChineseKFC
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver250F
Still waiting for response from OP. Want to trade my black for his red. What about the AC system in the seats since I have 2015 and he has a 2014. How will that work?
you simply wont get vented seats.
Old 02-10-16, 06:45 AM
yogibear
Driver School Candidate

You can get the vented seats, you just have to modify the black seats.

Your seat frames each have 2 fans and ducting built into it that goes into the foam/leather cushion. In the cushion there is a void that if covered by some felt that the ducting goes in to. From there, there are about 5 holes about 3/4 inch in diameter that go through the foam and up to the perforated leather, and that is what blows on your butt and back. So basically you have to make the void, and holes through the foam and cover/glue it with some felt for both the seat bottom cushion and the seat back cushion.

So that all means you have to disassemble your seat to get the cushions off of course.

Or, find someone with red leather seats already ventilated and with all the wiring/fans in place.
Old 02-10-16, 11:24 PM
Brokenis
Driver

I'm really loving the black on my IS, not many have it, so this is rare!. At first, I thought red was nice, but i'll grow over it. I just wanted to keep a nice classy look on the car.
Old 02-11-16, 09:39 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenis
I'm really loving the black on my IS, not many have it, so this is rare!. At first, I thought red was nice, but i'll grow over it. I just wanted to keep a nice classy look on the car.
I totally agree with ya. When I was shopping for my is350, many of my friends say I should go with red seats. But, I went with black..

Seeing red all day for the next 10 years gonna drive me crazy. Plus, IDK how red interior is gonna age..
Old 02-13-16, 05:30 PM
Snoochies
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I was away for a few days. Thank you for all of your feedback. I found out from a Lexus tech that all 3is seats will swap out. I am out in SoCal and currently have someone pondering on a brown set to trade.would rather have some color I think lol.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and look forward to meeting some of you on here. Dusty.
Old 02-13-16, 07:23 PM
Snoochies
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I was away for a few days. Thank you for all of your feedback. I found out from a Lexus tech that all 3is seats will swap out. I am out in SoCal and currently have someone pondering on a brown set to trade.would rather have some color I think lol.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and look forward to meeting some of you on here. Dusty.
Also the red is not blood red it's like a burgundy really nice color and as far as aging goes they are made of the same material and lighter than black so they couldn't age any worse, thanks again.
Old 02-22-16, 09:53 PM
Snoochies
Driver School Candidate

Default Traded no issues

Hi, incase anyone wants to know I traded my 2014 seats to a local member with a 2015. All seats, panels and dash parts bolt right up no issues and all plugs are identical.

Also no issue with seat airbags or steering wheel swap. Thanks, Dustin.
Old 02-23-16, 05:02 PM
yogibear
Driver School Candidate

Hi, incase anyone wants to know I traded my 2014 seats to a local member with a 2015. All seats, panels and dash parts bolt right up no issues and all plugs are identical.

Also no issue with seat airbags or steering wheel swap. Thanks, Dustin.
Yep, I can confirm this is true. I went from a 2015 to a 2014 and everything works perfectly on the front seats, rear seat, and all trim panels. Haven't done the dash or console pieces yet though, but I don't foresee any problems

Quick Reply: Looking to trade red leather seats question