IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rocks/cinders in brakepads???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 03:42 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rocks/cinders in brakepads???

So, this is the second time I have had to take the Lex in to the shop and have them take the wheels off and clear the cinders off of the brakepads. It is so loud when it happens, and I have no idea how to prevent it. I live in Oregon where they use cinders for traction on the ice and snow. Anyone having this happen?

How do I prevent this???
Old 02-04-16, 06:53 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Seriously???

I was hoping someone would chime in and say they had the same thing happen...

should I go vented calipers?

different brake assembly all together?

Schwabs said I really cant do anything to prevent it...

I call BS
Old 02-04-16, 09:55 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in AZ. Never had an issue.
Old 02-04-16, 11:32 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the f sport BBK.
Old 02-05-16, 09:17 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
Go with the f sport BBK.
but.... how does this solve the issue?
Old 02-05-16, 10:23 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For those of us who are in the lower states who’ve never heard of using cinders for traction, like myself, I had to search a bit and discovered that I think jeeper is referring to ashes from a coal-fired power plant being used as one material in a multi-material traction mixture applied to roads in icy environments that happens to be approved for use in certain municipalities up north.

Here’s a couple of google finds on this road traction mixture:

http://midwestenergynews.com/2014/03...e-not-so-sure/

http://www.mexicomissouri.net/376/Ci...w-Ice-Traction

The first article makes statements that the ashes can contain trace heavy metals in low quantities.

So, I have a question for you... are you saying that you suspect this road mixture is gumming up at your brake pads?

If this is a newer technology and people are starting to see mechanical problems on their cars from it, I imagine you may be on to something fairly new here. I can’t imagine how you could prevent this except possibly by banding together with others and campaigning your local government to dis-approve this type of road mixture from use.

I don’t currently see how slotted or vented rotors can help you in this situation. Seems like they’ll just get gummed up even worse.

Perhaps Schwabs was right, you really can’t do anything to prevent it.
Old 02-05-16, 02:31 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Machine13
For those of us who are in the lower states who’ve never heard of using cinders for traction, like myself, I had to search a bit and discovered that I think jeeper is referring to ashes from a coal-fired power plant being used as one material in a multi-material traction mixture applied to roads in icy environments that happens to be approved for use in certain municipalities up north.

Here’s a couple of google finds on this road traction mixture:

http://midwestenergynews.com/2014/03...e-not-so-sure/

http://www.mexicomissouri.net/376/Ci...w-Ice-Traction

The first article makes statements that the ashes can contain trace heavy metals in low quantities.

So, I have a question for you... are you saying that you suspect this road mixture is gumming up at your brake pads?

If this is a newer technology and people are starting to see mechanical problems on their cars from it, I imagine you may be on to something fairly new here. I can’t imagine how you could prevent this except possibly by banding together with others and campaigning your local government to dis-approve this type of road mixture from use.

I don’t currently see how slotted or vented rotors can help you in this situation. Seems like they’ll just get gummed up even worse.

Perhaps Schwabs was right, you really can’t do anything to prevent it.
As much as I hate what cinders do to paint and such, they really do amazing for traction. To answer some questions, I believe the cinders are from volcanic activity over the nearby lands. It's a redish rock (Small) that ODOT drops on problem areas. Honestly, I am in law enforcement and believe they are using the best thing for traction. Obviously I am not in the best area to own a vehicle like ours, and I knew this before buying it.

I was simply asking if anyone had any suggestions on here to prevent the problem. Thanks guys
Old 02-08-16, 03:35 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

This is totally bumming me out. It just happened again and is even worse this time. It is so loud that everyone looks when I drive by.

There has got to be something I can do.
Old 02-08-16, 03:54 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeeper2269
This is totally bumming me out. It just happened again and is even worse this time. It is so loud that everyone looks when I drive by.

There has got to be something I can do.

It looks and sounds like the cinders are actually getting between that metal plate thing that goes around the rotors. Does anyone know if I can just have that removed or trimmed down?
Old 02-08-16, 05:36 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Getting cinders or rocks stuck in the brake pads is different from getting them stuck in the dust cover on the back side of the rotor. The dust cover can be adjusted (bent) to minimize the open space where they enter or increase the clearance to allow them to fall out. I would think the dealer would know to check the proper spacing of the brake dust cover.