IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Deciding between lexus models

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 10:10 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nothing wrong with the is250. the hate on the 250 is just blown out of proportion on this forum. get it if that's what you like
Old 02-08-16, 05:09 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
nothing wrong with the is250. the hate on the 250 is just blown out of proportion on this forum. get it if that's what you like
I had 2 of them, 2012 RWD and 2015 AWD F-Sport. You are right, nothing wrong with them in their own right. I think Lexus tunes the 4GR engine/6 speed transmission combination way too conservatively and too geared to fuel saving, without consideration for driver feel. The smaller braking system, while efficient and capable of stopping the car in the stated specifications also disappointed in "driver feel".

I just got the 2016 IS300 AWD F-Sport and the drive is night and day. That additional 50 HP, and the torque of the 2GR engine makes a lot of difference in acceleration and throttle response. Specially in deceleration situations with engine braking. Couple this with the larger brakes system (rotors/calipers/pads) makes the the braking feel more instant and sure footed.

My opinion, the difference between the IS250 and the IS350 / IS 300 is like the difference between a Hoover vacuum and a Dyson vacuum. Both suck, but one does it much better.
Old 02-08-16, 05:12 AM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Well, I own or have owned all three cars in your list, so I'll give it a shot.

The purchase of an RX is really in a separate discussion from the GS and IS. I have an RX and I love it for a family vehicle. It's quiet, refined, easy to get in/out of, easily accommodates child seats, and hauls tons of stuff. The AWD system is ok. It is front wheel biased and only sends power to the rear wheels upon acceleration or detection of slipping. It handles moderate snow well. It excels in highway driving and long trips. It is easily one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It's bulletproof reliable, but the navigation interface is quite dated, and some of the interior materials are outdated for the class.

In the GS vs IS discussion, let me first clarify that in the US there is no 2012 GS. The third generation ended with the 2011 year and the 4th gen came out in 2012 as a '13 model.

My 2014 IS350 was a blast (sorry I don't have experience with an IS250). It was very comfortable and I could easily accommodate 4 adults in it, though car seats were a challenge (and why I ultimately traded it in). Fuel mileage was decent, and it was a beauty to look at. Handling in the snow was very impressive. The IS and GS AWD systems are the same, and are very different from that of the RX. They are RWD based systems, and put 70% of the power to the rear wheels and 30% to the front, unless it detects slipping when it can then vary it up to 50/50. While the RX AWD system will switch to full 100% FWD when the rear power is not needed in order to help fuel efficiency, the IS/GS will always put at least 50% to the rear.

My GS is much more refined, luxurious, and spacious than my IS was, which is as it should be with an MSRP of about $13k more (my IS was $47k and my GS was $60k). It's remarkably quiet and the interior materials are top notch. It has things my IS did not have, like rain sensing wipers, auto parking brake, memory seats with more adjustments, parking sensors, etc. While the GS is impressive and I love it, I still find the IS to be more fun and a better looking car.
Would you say the GS is equal to the RX in terms of snow performance? I'm leaning more towards the GS at this point. From all the posts, it seems like that would be the better option. I'm going to test drive them both this week and I'll update you guys.
Old 02-08-16, 05:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fre3way3
Would you say the GS is equal to the RX in terms of snow performance? I'm leaning more towards the GS at this point. From all the posts, it seems like that would be the better option. I'm going to test drive them both this week and I'll update you guys.
Can't compare. We've gone through 3 RX, now have an NX. The GS if AWD is a sedan with a RWD biased system, same as the IS. Power is distributed constantly at 70% to the rear wheels and 30% to the front wheels. It will shift up to 50/50 during wheel spin. Add the lower center of gravity, and smaller ground clearance.

The RX is 100% FWD biased and will shift up to 50/50 during wheel spin. For snow and ice situation, it will behave like any other FWD vehicles, unless you need the additional grip in the rear tires. You also have a higher center of gravity and have more ground clearance.

Both of them need the winter tires, for optimal safety. My choice would be the GS/IS, due to the power distribution to all 4 wheels if even asymmetrically, for city / highway type situation where road are plowed immediately after a snow fall. If you are doing a lot of cross city or country road driving, then nothing beats the RX for that.
Old 02-08-16, 06:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That's a good question. I have not yet had a chance to try out my GS in snow, but I would expect it to perform similarly to my IS.

Snow around here is not common (1 or 2 snow days a year, typically). At our last snow, I took my IS and RX out back to back to compare how they could handle it (3-5 inches). My IS handled the snow better than my RX does. Not that the RX was bad, as I found it to be highly capable, it's just that the IS was really quite phenomenal, even with all season tires. And again, I would expect the GS to perform similarly, but the RX didn't leave me disappointed.
Old 02-08-16, 09:29 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should get both an IS350 and an RX350. Give the RX to the wife say you bought it for her but drive it on the weekends then you have the IS for the weekdays. Best of both worlds. Make sure you get them same color so they match
Old 02-08-16, 09:41 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo55
You should get both an IS350 and an RX350. Give the RX to the wife say you bought it for her but drive it on the weekends then you have the IS for the weekdays. Best of both worlds. Make sure you get them same color so they match
I was thinking the same and I'll be the driver for the RC350 on weekend
Old 02-10-16, 04:51 AM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

I'm settled on the RX 350. Now I'm trying to negotiate with the dealers and a few of them won't budge off their internet price. Any tips?
Old 02-10-16, 03:00 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm settled on the RX 350. Now I'm trying to negotiate with the dealers and a few of them won't budge off their internet price. Any tips?
Walk away and say you think about it. They'll call you back in couple day.
Old 02-10-16, 03:24 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

2014 GS350 gets my vote. that was the year they introduce the new 8 speed auto. the prices on used GS is a lot cheaper than IS350 for whatever reason (i know OP asking about IS250, but just providing perspective). i've seen CPO 2014 GS350 with less than 20k miles going for around $35k in socal area.
Old 02-10-16, 03:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Best advice is to get a few dealers competing with each other if you can. Be patient and you'll find someone willing to work with you. There are simply too many RXs on the market to not find a good deal.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
2014 GS350 gets my vote. that was the year they introduce the new 8 speed auto.
Yes, but as in the IS350, only the RWD GS350 gets the 8 speed, and it seems that the OP is interested in AWD, which comes with the 6 speed. The RX350 F Sport comes with an 8 speed, if that is desired.
Old 02-10-16, 04:51 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tea
Looks like you settled with a 250 instead of a 350 congrats!
But it does seem like you had some doubts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-f-sport.html

Can't go wrong with a 350, it's the F Sport that is a bit pricier.
With haggling skills you can get very close to a 350 at the nearly the cost of a 250.

- 8 Speed Trans
- Sport Suspension
- F Sport Accents, Grille, Wheel, Seats
- 304 HP
- Very fun to drive in Sport + Mode

I forget the other specs.
Old 02-10-16, 06:22 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by waxy
Looks like you settled with a 250 instead of a 350 congrats!
But it does seem like you had some doubts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-f-sport.html

Can't go wrong with a 350, it's the F Sport that is a bit pricier.
With haggling skills you can get very close to a 350 at the nearly the cost of a 250.

- 8 Speed Trans
- Sport Suspension
- F Sport Accents, Grille, Wheel, Seats
- 304 HP
- Very fun to drive in Sport + Mode

I forget the other specs.
there is indeed a lot of vitriol aimed at the is250 on this forum. it's a competent car and i now own two 3IS' and previously owned a 2IS. i also went back and forth with my initial 3IS250 decision, even regretting it at points all because of what i had read online. once i let go of what others were posting and appreciated the car for what it was, i really was happy with my purchase, so much so that i purchased another. they're great little cars.
Old 02-11-16, 11:40 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Surprised someone tagged my post lol

the IS250 is actually fun to drive. You don't need all that excessive HP on the IS350 for daily driving, especially when you have an RC350 already.

IS250 is nimble and has great response to what you tell it to do, and I'm loving it!
Old 02-11-16, 01:08 PM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

I mean, there's nothing wrong with an IS250. If you get a 250 F Sport, it's the same as a 350 F Sport except for the engine power. The 3IS, while not all agree, has a wonderful interior/exterior combo and is just a really likable car from a lot of perspectives. RWD, lots of tech features, the list goes on.

Personally, I would never touch an IS250, though. In my view, you're spending that much on a luxury car and it's slower than many Hondas and Toyotas on the road. Like seriously, I owned a Honda Accord V6 prior to my IS350, and that would be quite a deal faster than an IS250. When you're spending 30-50k on a luxury car form a luxury brand, I think many of us on the forum expect to get something that can get up and go when you expect it to. That's just something the IS250 lacks. Not hating on the car, it works for many, but personally I expect some pep out of a 30-50k car and the IS250 has absolutely none. I've driven one before, and probably never will again.

Quick Reply: Deciding between lexus models