IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 08:34 PM
silkx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brake pads

It's about time to replace my front brake pads. Any suggestions on some good brands for IS250. Looking for some for a decent price and link where to purchase them online
Old 01-30-16, 09:08 AM
Avi8orco
Rookie

Just picked up and installed a set of akebono proact on my 350F. Bought the car end of December and I couldn't take the dust and having to clean the wheels every other day with the stock pads anymore. Replaced the pads front and back for $82 from rockauto. Rear pad replacement is a little overkill for dust but it was only another $40 for them. The wheels are staying easily clean enough to just wash them every week or so with the rest of the car. The performance is very comparable to the factory ones and they are very quiet.
Old 01-30-16, 12:00 PM
speedneed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avi8orco
Just picked up and installed a set of akebono proact on my 350F. Bought the car end of December and I couldn't take the dust and having to clean the wheels every other day with the stock pads anymore. Replaced the pads front and back for $82 from rockauto. Rear pad replacement is a little overkill for dust but it was only another $40 for them. The wheels are staying easily clean enough to just wash them every week or so with the rest of the car. The performance is very comparable to the factory ones and they are very quiet.
Thanks for the info. I also have a 350F and am looking for a replacement pair. I wonder how these compare to POSI QUIET CERAMIC PADS.
Old 01-30-16, 02:07 PM
Avi8orco
Rookie

Originally Posted by speedneed
Thanks for the info. I also have a 350F and am looking for a replacement pair. I wonder how these compare to POSI QUIET CERAMIC PADS.
They're a breeze to replace. Took longer unbolting/remounting all the wheels than changing the pads. I know the Akebonos don't need to be broken in from what the manual says. They're ready from the start but I gave them a few 60 to 5 mph stops just to make me feel better. They squeak for the first one or two stops but then they're silent. There is also no need to grease the shims just clean them up
Old 01-30-16, 08:07 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have posi quiet ceramic pads on my IS. Cheap, low dust, and perform like most cheap ceramic pads. Low initial bite compared to semi-metallic. If it's your daily driver you'll be fine with just about any pad. Rockauto normally has the best prices available.

Last edited by ExSrAaron; 02-01-16 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-31-16, 06:14 AM
Taideee
Rookie

EBC Green or Red are a good choice too but they are way more pricy
Old 01-31-16, 07:49 AM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedneed
I put the posi quiet pads on my 350F a while back and could not be happier. I posted a thread in the "Suspension and Brakes" forum if you want more info. I have heard good things about the Akibono pads as well, but can only comment on what I have. No regrets here whatsoever. And Rockauto is definitely the place to get them.
Old 02-01-16, 06:35 PM
nulex1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Avi8orco
They're a breeze to replace. Took longer unbolting/remounting all the wheels than changing the pads. I know the Akebonos don't need to be broken in from what the manual says. They're ready from the start but I gave them a few 60 to 5 mph stops just to make me feel better. They squeak for the first one or two stops but then they're silent. There is also no need to grease the shims just clean them up
Its also recommended to apply a thin layer between the backing plate and the shim even if the shim is present, as it will prevent any further noise from the pad rattling against the shim.

There are also brake pads that will come with adhesive brake pad shims that require you stick on the shim to the brake pad backing plate. This doesnst require the use of disc brake lube, but you can still apply a thin coating on top of the brake backing plate. And of course clean and lubes sliders/pins are a must!