IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How Drastically Different Will The Refreshed 2017 IS Look (Especially in the Front)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 01:13 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Drastically Different Will The Refreshed 2017 IS Look (Especially in the Front)?

Assuming the refreshed IS releases for the 2017 model year, how drastically different do you think it will look compared to the 14-16 model?

Looking at some of their other models in their product line, the changes are pretty pronounced. For example, the 16 ES and 16 GS have very different looking front ends (to keep in line with rest of the brand). And the last gen RX went through a similar change as well adding their corporate grille. However, I recall when the 06 IS was refreshed in 09, the exterior changes were very minor and pretty much unnoticeable unless you were following the brand closely. But it appears that Lexus in the last several years has made their LCI cars with very dramatic changes to their appearances, most notably in their front ends.

But the current IS was the first car (I believe) that incorpotated/started the whole Nike swoosh DRL LED/spindle mesh grille look for the car brand, so I wonder how drastic of a change the refreshed IS could be since the other cars like 2016 ES, GS, and LX were refreshed to keep it physically aligned with the entire brand as a whole, which the 3rd gen IS started.

I'm guesing maybe the refreshed IS will not be that dramatic as those other cars for that reason alone and will have minor differences. Or who knows... since Lexus has been doing some really "outside the box" things lately (just look at the new RX F-Sport) and wants to keep their cars fresh to boost sales.

Thoughts?

Last edited by rob stolen; 01-19-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 03:18 PM
sirwawa
Rookie

instead of projectors (I assume/hope) L shaped lenses and the tail-lights look more like the GS/RX
Old 01-19-16, 06:11 PM
gnawhdivad
Driver School Candidate

highly doubt there would be much difference in the 2017, as the 2016 recent updated the cars with 200t, 300, and 350 line up. I would expect 2018 to have same body but updated front bumper and updated rear tail lights.
Old 01-19-16, 06:16 PM
CrackerJac
Driver

Originally Posted by gnawhdivad
highly doubt there would be much difference in the 2017, as the 2016 recent updated the cars with 200t, 300, and 350 line up. I would expect 2018 to have same body but updated front bumper and updated rear tail lights.
Even though this thread is pure speculation, I would like to agree with your post. I think we will see the L-style headlights in 2019+. Gotta save something for last!
Old 01-19-16, 06:26 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost always there will be redesign (new generation) then 3 or 4 years later a mid-cycle refresh or mid-gen refresh. 3 or 4 years after that the model will get redesigned again.
The IS started it's 3rd generation with the 2014 model year. It will most likely get some styling updates inside and out. Although I personally don't think they will change much. The exterior front end is already pretty aggressive and the interior is awesome. Maybe some modifications to headlights to more pronounced LED's and interior could see a larger infotainment screen?
Lexus has also been talking more about turbocharging because it's perceived as being 'modern'. Maybe a turbo v6 like what the new infiniti Q60 / Q50 will be getting are in the cards. 300HP in the standard motor and 400HP in the top line version. If Lexus did something like that I would expect the 400HP version to command an extra $6 - 8k. Putting the price tag close to $60k for the top performing IS but also being more on-par with the new Infiniti's and BMW M3.
Old 01-20-16, 07:02 AM
rob stolen
Driver

The general consensus is that the refreshed IS will take place next year (2017 MY), just like the 13 GS and the 13 ES were refreshed for 2016 (from 2013). There is also a precedent as well as the 2nd gen IS received it's refresh in 2009 (from 2006). Lexus could break from convention, but more than likely not.

The only real question is what and how much will change.
Old 01-20-16, 07:08 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rob stolen
The general consensus is that the refreshed IS will take place next year (2017 MY), just like the 13 GS and the 13 ES were refreshed for 2016 (from 2013). There is also a precedent as well as the 2nd gen IS received it's refresh in 2009 (from 2006). Lexus could break from convention, but more than likely not.

The only real question is what and how much will change.
that's precisely what this thread is aimed at speculating on -- what and to what extent will change.
Old 01-20-16, 07:15 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by gregerst
Almost always there will be redesign (new generation) then 3 or 4 years later a mid-cycle refresh or mid-gen refresh. 3 or 4 years after that the model will get redesigned again.
The IS started it's 3rd generation with the 2014 model year. It will most likely get some styling updates inside and out. Although I personally don't think they will change much. The exterior front end is already pretty aggressive and the interior is awesome. Maybe some modifications to headlights to more pronounced LED's and interior could see a larger infotainment screen?
Lexus has also been talking more about turbocharging because it's perceived as being 'modern'. Maybe a turbo v6 like what the new infiniti Q60 / Q50 will be getting are in the cards. 300HP in the standard motor and 400HP in the top line version. If Lexus did something like that I would expect the 400HP version to command an extra $6 - 8k. Putting the price tag close to $60k for the top performing IS but also being more on-par with the new Infiniti's and BMW M3.
I also agree that the current IS (especially F-Sport) already has a very aggressive look and since Lexus had already aligned some of their other cars (refrshed GS, ES, LX) with styling elements with the 3rd gen IS, I'm real curious how far they will go with changes to the front and rear for the refresh.

However, if they planned a major upgraded engine for the LCI, we would've heard about it by now. It's possible, but I imagine a new higher performance engine would be introduced in the next model or very late in the cycle if Lexus decides to extend the life of the IS 8 model years like they did the 2nd gen (06-13). The 2nd gen had a second refresh in 2011. So maybe in 2019. But that's assuming Lexus stretches the 3rd gen out 8 years like it did in the past.
Old 01-20-16, 07:17 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
that's precisely what this thread is aimed at speculating on -- what and to what extent will change.
Yeah man, I know. I created this thread.
Old 01-20-16, 07:20 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think '17 isn't the MMC year for 3IS. 2017 model year will be the 4th year into the 3IS generation. model year 2016 only upgraded the engines, there were no exterior and interior changes to be consider a mid-cycle refresh. Lexus did that for more sales. people would buying more '16s due to the new engine choices, and will continue buying more of '17 due to exterior and interior refreshes. engine upgrades and MMC aren't the same thing, BMW has done that quite a bit with one immediately followed by the other.
Old 01-20-16, 07:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rob stolen
Yeah man, I know. I created this thread.
haha - apologies.
Old 01-20-16, 01:45 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
haha - apologies.
No prob. Cheers.
Old 01-22-16, 06:54 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a pretty credible source who has advised that there will be no further powertrain updates until the 4th gen IS launches for MY2019 (at the very earliest). They are likely testing a turbocharged 3.0 V6 as we speak. The LC-F will receive a turbocharged V8. For now Lexus wants to concentrate its efforts on reliability - especially after faltering with the floormat/unintended acceleration fiasco several years ago. True, those were not reliability issues but it tarnished their "perfect" image.

MY2017 will introduce a larger navi screen (10") and possibly some other visual updates. MY2018 will have updated LED headlights and corresponding front bumper changes. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I'm nit-picky and am not happy that my quad LED bulbs don't align with the bumper grooves like the dual bulb Xenon HIDs.
Old 01-22-16, 08:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
I have a pretty credible source who has advised that there will be no further powertrain updates until the 4th gen IS launches for MY2019 (at the very earliest). They are likely testing a turbocharged 3.0 V6 as we speak. The LC-F will receive a turbocharged V8. For now Lexus wants to concentrate its efforts on reliability - especially after faltering with the floormat/unintended acceleration fiasco several years ago. True, those were not reliability issues but it tarnished their "perfect" image.

MY2017 will introduce a larger navi screen (10") and possibly some other visual updates. MY2018 will have updated LED headlights and corresponding front bumper changes. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I'm nit-picky and am not happy that my quad LED bulbs don't align with the bumper grooves like the dual bulb Xenon HIDs.
On one hand, i'm happy that my 2nd model year IS350 won't be obsolete until 2019 or beyond...on the other hand i'm sad that we won't be able to witness this wonderful chassis married to a more powerful powertrain.

Those updates stated above I couldn't care less about...
Old 01-22-16, 08:53 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

311hp V6

Quick Reply: How Drastically Different Will The Refreshed 2017 IS Look (Especially in the Front)?