IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did my mom buy the plainest, most boring is350 ever produced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 07:52 PM
IS35fs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did my mom buy the plainest, most boring is350 ever produced?

Hey guys this is my first post. Already tried searching these topics but no threads were really about what I wanted to ask.

So basically my mom comes home yesterday with a 2014 is350 f sport AWD. I was shocked but it was the car we have been looking at. But I was hoping I would have been there because I would have stopped her ugh. So here's my issue the car doesn't have ANY options, and I mean zero. What gives? No navi, no ML audio system, no ventilated seats, no memory seats, no back up camera, no sunroof, no traffic lane assist, no blind spot monitor, no led dual headlamp.

LOL did we just buy the most base is350 f sport ever produced? Haha I thought navi and back up camera came standard in all f sport packages.

Anyways my question is. Do I have the option to GET factory Navi installed or maybe a back up camera? I'm talking factory not aftermarket.

Sorry if I've said anything stupid lol. The car itself is crazy how sexy it is and very fast and love the handling and drive and interior is amazing. Also I should mention we paid

42300 CND which is 29,136 US Dollar. So I DO feel we got a decent price.

Last edited by IS35fs; 01-17-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 08:11 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

having the oem navigation system and back-up camera installed would be prohibitively expensive. is it possible? sure, i suppose, but it wouldn't be wise to do so. if you're going to spend that much, might as well just trade in the car for another that's better spec-ed.
Old 01-17-16, 08:18 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, your best bet is to try to take it back and get something else. Typically non-nav models have different wiring that does not allow you to simply throw in the nav.
Old 01-17-16, 08:23 PM
IS35fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickTee
Honestly, your best bet is to try to take it back and get something else. Typically non-nav models have different wiring that does not allow you to simply throw in the nav.
Damn we really wanted to avoid having to swap cars it's such a shame it's a gorgeous brand new car just doesn't have many bells and whistles. Returning the car is most likely not a realistic option:sad wonder if getting a factor back up camera would be more simple and cheaper
Old 01-17-16, 08:24 PM
IS35fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickTee
Also another thing I noticed is out car doesn't have the F Sport badge on the rear left side bottom of the trunk lid....can you think of any reasons why that would be missing? The car is clean title bought from a reputable dealer. I thought maybe they only include that f sport rear badge on American models!?
Old 01-17-16, 08:29 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS35fs
Also another thing I noticed is out car doesn't have the F Sport badge on the rear left side bottom of the trunk lid....can you think of any reasons why that would be missing? The car is clean title bought from a reputable dealer. I thought maybe they only include that f sport rear badge on American models!?
14's did not come with the trunk badge.
Old 01-17-16, 08:32 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS35fs
Damn we really wanted to avoid having to swap cars it's such a shame it's a gorgeous brand new car just doesn't have many bells and whistles. Returning the car is most likely not a realistic option:sad wonder if getting a factor back up camera would be more simple and cheaper
getting the oem nav system and/or backup camera likely won't be cheaper.

if you take it back to the dealership immediately, they may be able/willing to work with you keeping finances in mind.
Old 01-17-16, 09:41 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Garmin GPS. IMO better functionality, better maps, free lifetime map updates, 3D views, voice navigation, portable, and at least US$1,600 cheaper than Lexus built-in nav option. The most expensive Garmin model out there is only like $400.

Plus, sometimes less is more.
Old 01-17-16, 10:09 PM
pillbox
Driver School Candidate

TBH I never use my Navi, it's very expensive to update and many new roads in BC are not even updated. I use google maps on my phone, and I regret getting the navi package.

LED dual headlamps weren't an option for Canadian f-sports in 2014. The only option that I find handy is the back-up camera, but if you're a decent driver it shouldn't affect your day-to-day anyways.
Old 01-17-16, 11:59 PM
Taideee
Rookie

I don't use the navi in the system either, it is a pain in the butt to set up everytime.

Many people complain the LED headlamps aren't as bright as the HID ones. (I cannot confirm)

backup camera isn't 100% needed, it is just useful.

you should be buying the car for the car not the options
Old 01-18-16, 12:49 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The options you mentions are only available on the highest trim of IS350 F Sport Series 3 with ML stereo rather than memory seats are not available on ISs
F Sport badge on the left side of the trunk is available on 15+.
I am driving the same trim level of the one you have and I don't mind it a bit.
I'd rather drive a IS350 F Sport Series 1 than a fully loaded IS250.
Old 01-18-16, 05:21 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Seems like Hardly anyone with nav actually uses it.. I know I use google maps everytime as it's just decades ahead of the lexus tech.
Old 01-18-16, 05:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a base 250 F Sport AWD and have had many loaded Lexus vehicles with NAV including the current NX 200t F Sport which has HUD, NAV, DRCC, and so on.

Believe me, as some have mentioned already, you won't miss the NAV and having both input interfaces, the standard Display Audio Controller's input **** is arguably better than the RTI.

What I do find inconvenient is the lack of a backup cam. This is especially true at night time and with tinted windows, makes reversing almost like being blind folded.

Figure +- $3K Cdn to add NAV and the backup cam at the dealer, both of which are not worth the cost. Better off going aftermarket.
Old 01-18-16, 05:41 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Seems like Hardly anyone with nav actually uses it.. I know I use google maps everytime as it's just decades ahead of the lexus tech.
i use it. the screen is larger than my phone's and i'm more often than not streaming music from my phone via pandora anyway..

i actually really like the oem nav unit -- even though it has its flaws, it still works rather well; i've never been left lost somewhere. that said, it seems the oem nav system's maps seem to be better in certain locales than in others.
Old 01-18-16, 07:03 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

get an aftermarket nav and backup camera. you aren't missing much with the OEM Nav system, it really sucks.

I wish we had a moonroof delete option, i woulda been on top of that in a heartbeat. I didnt even know they optioned 350 f-sports w/o nav.

Quick Reply: Did my mom buy the plainest, most boring is350 ever produced?