Engine Misfire on a 250 awd fsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 05:33 PM
nsx042003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Misfire on a 250 awd fsport

Hello,

Hate to see how this is still happening. My gf's '14 IS250 AWD has had 3 misfire code that popped up at about 8.5k, 13K, and 15k miles now. First time it happened it wasn't severe, it vibrated a bit and engine light lit up. Took it to Openroad Lexus of Richmond and they said it's a random misfire code and no other troubling codes came up. They suggested maybe it was bad gas. So they reset the ECU, cleared the code and we went on our way.

Fast forward to 13k miles, only about half a year later, it happened again, except it vibrated vigorously and the engine light is flashing. So we had it towed back this time and have them look at it again. Codes were random misfire and misfire on cylinder 3. Now this time they said the culprit is a bad ignition coil. So they replaced that and car is alright again.

At 15k miles, about 2.5 months from the last incident (a few days ago), same thing happened again. It even went into limp mode on a stretch of road that had a speed limit of 50 mph. So again we towed it in to the same dealership to have them fix it, yet again. Interestingly, the code is misfire in cylinder 5. The tech mentioned they tried swapped ignition coil and plug to see if problem will go away but it didn't so they checked the fuel injectors for fault. The injector was faulty and leaking. They saw lots of fuel in that cylinder so they replaced the injector with a new one.

I'm not sure how much more problem a brand new '14 can have, much less coming from a Lexus.

Anyone else having these issues with their 3IS? I know a lot of the guys from the 2IS 250s had these issues, but I thought the bulletins on updated valves were introduced to stop it from happening? Or is that just to safe guard from carbon buildup? I'm dumbfounded by how a leaky fuel injector and ignition coil can fail so epic when it's so new.

Forgot to mention she only ever gets premium for gas, so all that bad gas thing doesn't hold. And the car has always been serviced on time by Openroad Lexus of Richmond, according to their recommended intervals.

/Rant
Old 01-14-16, 05:41 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear !
Old 01-14-16, 05:51 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad apple, it's not a common problem.
Old 01-15-16, 07:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Sorry for the troubles, but as the others posted, statistically this is a rare issue. I have not ever had any engine issues with my 2IS 250 nor my current one. Hopefully they permanently resolve your gf's issue.
Old 01-15-16, 08:44 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Perhaps the gas IS bad.

It wouldn't be the first time a station bought fuel from a less than reputable dealer or that the delivery truck wasn't hauling something the previous day that wasn't gas and it contaminated the load.

It does happen.

Anyway sorry about your luck. If you always buy your fuel at the same gas station, try switching to a new station and see if it happens again.
Old 01-15-16, 05:14 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sorry for the troubles, but as the others posted, statistically this is a rare issue. I have not ever had any engine issues with my 2IS 250 nor my current one. Hopefully they permanently resolve your gf's issue.
what year is/was your 2IS? i had a '08 250 and the engine was major trouble. if you had a 2IS 250 with an engine built during latter portion of the '10 and later, then engine issues were statistically rare, but before? statistically common.

i'm so glad that i bought the extended warranty on that car. lovely when it wasn't not working.

edit: nvm, i see you had a '08 250. i'm jealous of your trouble-free experience.
Old 03-23-16, 01:59 AM
leaderpvp
Rookie

It is the same issue of direct injection and carbon buildup as of 2gen 2is. The engine is the same engine, so you are in the same boat with me and others.
My is250 fsport as well in service now, they performing top engine cleaning, but it won't help much... and in a short period i will return here, more than sure...
Old 05-11-16, 09:53 AM
trippy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leaderpvp
It is the same issue of direct injection and carbon buildup as of 2gen 2is. The engine is the same engine, so you are in the same boat with me and others.
My is250 fsport as well in service now, they performing top engine cleaning, but it won't help much... and in a short period i will return here, more than sure...
I have a 2006 is250 did a recall in 2013 and now my rough idling came back n lexus said they will charge $150per hour to look into it...and it takes 6 hrs....wow and I'm not even sure it's a misfire sigh
Old 05-12-16, 03:58 PM
oyeitsdean
Rookie

my 2gen is250 had the same thing happen.... sadly it was a faulty transmission i had to trade it in for a honda civic hybrid. Clearing the Ecu only going to put off the problem for so long until it get worst and worst. But man i totally feel you. your still under warranty. until the end of this year or under 50k mile should be I would totally make it an issue at the Lexus Dealer. Fast forward to present.... traded my honda for a is350f and i pray to god this problem wont arise with my car. Ill be praying for your gf car tho.
Old 05-12-16, 09:44 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I got IS350 it's had one of the most reliable engine. We used to have 2IS but trade it in after a year don't want to deal with carbon build up issue in the future.
Old 07-16-19, 01:01 PM
kenluci
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help!

So I been having my is250 f sport 2015 for about 4 year now. Only have a good 47k miles on it. Took care of it like a baby and then one day I took it to meikeke to get an oil change. A day later, my traction was off, couldn’t turn it back on. Engine light was on. So I decided to bring it back and ask them why. They told me that my car is misfiring, and that I need a tune up. I’m not a car guy, but I feel deep down. I feel like they trying to make money off of me.
Old 07-16-19, 01:11 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometime when I push the gas paddle, the car won't move for like 3 sec or rhere is some shaking vibration. Sometime it shuts the engine off, I have to restart it. Always run premium, so gas is not an issue. It's the engine.
Old 07-16-19, 03:10 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it to a reputable shop and have it inspected.
Old 07-17-19, 04:42 PM
MxdMenace
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently had the same issue. Dealer changed coilpacks and plugs and the misc misfires were still present. They inspected the heads and found carbon buildup on the side that had all the misfires. I just got my car back and will report back on condition. I've outlined my experience here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-shifting.html

I suspect whatever fix Toyota did with the 2011+ 4GR-FSE did not entirely fix everything since its a direct injection design. There was a TSB for the 2006-1010 2IS 4GR-FSE engines that addressed the same issues.