IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Xenon headlamp to LED headlamp upgrade

Old 01-08-16, 09:46 PM
Xenosis32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon headlamp to LED headlamp upgrade

Hello all!

I have been on clublexus for a little while now and I have a question that I would like to see if anyone have tried and can shed light on what I need...

I drive a 14' F-Sport in Canada. As some of you know, the F-Sport here only came with a Xenon headlamp (the LED headlamp was not available until this year). I am currently looking into upgrading my headlamp to the LED one. I have been to the local Lexus dealership parts department and they told me it is not advised and should not be done.

My question is, can this be done? I know the US F-Sport did come with LED headlamps in 2014 so I cannot see how that is not possible. And if it is doable, other than the headlamp and the control module, is there anything else I would need to switch?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-16, 04:59 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Apparently the HID's are brighter than the LEDS..
Old 01-09-16, 06:34 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Apparently the HID's are brighter than the LEDS..
Not sure about this but I find the illumination in the road is more even for the LED that comes with 3IS. Also if you don't upgrade the stock HID, the light looks yellow (at least for the 2014 IS that I had before that has the HID)

And to the OP: it is possible but basically you have to change a lot of modules which is costly

Here is some reference

http://ls-japan.com/

On the left hand side menu, choose "IS250/IS350/IS300h", "F-Sport"

Then Look for the 3 parts that have "LEXUS IS300h LEDヘッドライト"

It will cost you 187800 yens for the computer, cords, etc (the description seems to suggest the back covers are included) and 121000 yens for the lens just for one side.

This company only ships locally in Japan and you have to contact them by email. If you know someone in Japan, then it is possibly the lowest cost as they charge lower than what North American dealerships would have charged you.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-09-16 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 10:44 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I love the LED headlights in my 2016... I just see people all over the place here saying the HID's are brighter...
Old 01-09-16, 08:45 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Straight plug and play from all the wire diagrams and repair docs I've read. (Official Lexus Documents)

Looking into doing this swap myself.
Old 01-10-16, 09:43 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had both HID on my old IS and LED on the current IS, and I agree the LEDs are not as bright. If the color of the light bothers you, I suggest getting some quality 5000k or 6000k HID bulbs.
Old 01-10-16, 02:10 PM
Xenosis32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
Not sure about this but I find the illumination in the road is more even for the LED that comes with 3IS. Also if you don't upgrade the stock HID, the light looks yellow (at least for the 2014 IS that I had before that has the HID)

And to the OP: it is possible but basically you have to change a lot of modules which is costly

Here is some reference

http://ls-japan.com/

On the left hand side menu, choose "IS250/IS350/IS300h", "F-Sport"

Then Look for the 3 parts that have "LEXUS IS300h LEDヘッドライト"

It will cost you 187800 yens for the computer, cords, etc (the description seems to suggest the back covers are included) and 121000 yens for the lens just for one side.

This company only ships locally in Japan and you have to contact them by email. If you know someone in Japan, then it is possibly the lowest cost as they charge lower than what North American dealerships would have charged you.
I was thinking of sourcing a USDM headlamp housing, so I am hoping it will be slightly cheaper.

Originally Posted by redline.gT
Straight plug and play from all the wire diagrams and repair docs I've read. (Official Lexus Documents)

Looking into doing this swap myself.
So do you know if a control module is needed to be swapped as well? I read online and the control module for the LED version seems to have a different part #. Are you able to confirm this from your Official Lexus Document? Other than that I assumed it was a plug and play as well.

Originally Posted by Noeh
I had both HID on my old IS and LED on the current IS, and I agree the LEDs are not as bright. If the color of the light bothers you, I suggest getting some quality 5000k or 6000k HID bulbs.
I actually upgraded the HID bulbs to 6000k already. I just like the look of having 2 projectors and wanting to see if it is a crazy idea.

Thanks for everyones input so far!
Old 01-10-16, 03:44 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenosis32
I was thinking of sourcing a USDM headlamp housing, so I am hoping it will be slightly cheaper.

So do you know if a control module is needed to be swapped as well? I read online and the control module for the LED version seems to have a different part #. Are you able to confirm this from your Official Lexus Document? Other than that I assumed it was a plug and play as well.

I actually upgraded the HID bulbs to 6000k already. I just like the look of having 2 projectors and wanting to see if it is a crazy idea.

Thanks for everyones input so far!
You CANNOT use the HID module with the LED headlamps. You will have to purchase 4 LED Modules.

Other than that the headlights are plug and play.
Old 01-10-16, 04:59 PM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I recently traded my 2014 IS350 F-Sport in for a 2016 IS350 F-Sport so I have a direct reference point to compare. IMHO the LED headlamps are not a significant upgrade. They may appear to be brighter due to the whiter colour temperature. I've noticed they are more effective when it's damp out (snow or rain) but the Xenon HIDs have a much wider lighting area (with no need for adaptive swiveling bulbs). Also, they deleted the headlamp washing system (which I guess many people didn't care for). Lexus really should have adopted a multiple LED bulb approach (6+) like in most of their other models. I have feeling they will make that change in the next refresh.
Old 01-10-16, 07:11 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For reference, I asked the dealer parts department how much the OEM part is, and they said it's $1700 per headlight (Canadian).
Old 01-11-16, 06:32 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by goldengame
For reference, I asked the dealer parts department how much the OEM part is, and they said it's $1700 per headlight (Canadian).
For that price, it'd be cheaper to trade in your 2014 and get a new 2016 MY.
Old 01-11-16, 09:46 AM
Xenosis32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redline.gT
You CANNOT use the HID module with the LED headlamps. You will have to purchase 4 LED Modules.

Other than that the headlights are plug and play.
Thanks for that! At least now I know what parts I need and can start looking around and seeing where I can source LED headlamps and 4 LED modules

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
I recently traded my 2014 IS350 F-Sport in for a 2016 IS350 F-Sport so I have a direct reference point to compare. IMHO the LED headlamps are not a significant upgrade. They may appear to be brighter due to the whiter colour temperature. I've noticed they are more effective when it's damp out (snow or rain) but the Xenon HIDs have a much wider lighting area (with no need for adaptive swiveling bulbs). Also, they deleted the headlamp washing system (which I guess many people didn't care for). Lexus really should have adopted a multiple LED bulb approach (6+) like in most of their other models. I have feeling they will make that change in the next refresh.
Was there a particular reason why you traded in your 14' for a 16'? I got a feeling they are going to adopt the LED bulb thing in MY17' IS's

Originally Posted by goldengame
Thanks, that'll be a good reference point for me. And it's so hard with our CDN dollar being so weak....
Old 01-11-16, 10:45 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my HIDs, LEDs put out less lumen than the HID systems, only way it would be considered an upgrade is if lexus decide to use multiple leds in the headlight like the new RX,NX and canadian RC variants, otherwise it would just be a waste of money. I'm sure they're going to incorporate the multiple led system in the mid-cycle refresh tho, if that happens, i'll definitely make the switch.
Old 01-11-16, 10:49 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's pricey and it may not be plug and play. if you're looking for color change, probably best to change out bulbs. currently they should be 4300k, you can get 5000k or 6000k to get a whiter light
Old 01-11-16, 11:48 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Xenosis32
Thanks for that! At least now I know what parts I need and can start looking around and seeing where I can source LED headlamps and 4 LED modules

Was there a particular reason why you traded in your 14' for a 16'? I got a feeling they are going to adopt the LED bulb thing in MY17' IS's

Thanks, that'll be a good reference point for me. And it's so hard with our CDN dollar being so weak....
I went in to get a new set of tires on my 2014, but instead of paying $1200 - 1500 for a new set I paid just over $2,000 for a brand new 2016 MY with a nicer colour (Lexus premium paint - USB 2.0) along with ventilated seats and rain-sensing wipers. On top of that my payments went down $20/month. With sedan sales lagging due to NX and RX sales, now is a great time to upgrade.

In 2018 MY, I think they will change the front fascia to adopt multi-LED bulb lighting that will be similar to the RC, NX or RX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xenon headlamp to LED headlamp upgrade