IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why does some people buy IS250 instead of IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 11:10 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

you guys realize that you are splitting a hair with engine noise and smoothness? I drove both 250 and 350 and noise level of both engines are close to non-existent. I don't even hear or feel my engine unless its on sport mode and only from the sound generator.

Sure, the new turbo 4 cylinder engine would have less smoother power band but they are quiet non the less.
Old 01-11-16, 11:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
you guys realize that you are splitting a hair with engine noise and smoothness? I drove both 250 and 350 and noise level of both engines are close to non-existent. I don't even hear or feel my engine unless its on sport mode and only from the sound generator.

Sure, the new turbo 4 cylinder engine would have less smoother power band but they are quiet non the less.
Agree. Can't tell the difference as both are smooth. I can certainly tell the horsepower difference. One is about Prius speed and the other is not
Old 01-11-16, 12:57 PM
pillbox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer

No one's splitting hairs. It's just what I tend to notice, it didn't affect my purchase decision. In fact I only found out after I got the 350 as loaners.
Old 01-11-16, 02:50 PM
dendenyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M1AH3A7
IS250 is a nice car but for me personally I would hate to own a car that looks as sporty on the outside but has trouble keeping up with most of the ordinary sedans on the road.
I feel this pretty much hits the nail on the head.
Not everyone's driving to "keep up with ordinary sedans". I can understand this because when I was younger my blood would literally boil every time Im at a light and a ordinary sedan or any other sports car would pull up next to me...I had to always show them that my car was faster, louder, etc and I got enough tickets/suspensions to match. The older I get Im less drawn to those things, it still puts a smile on my face when I put my foot down and the car barks and take off to overtake on the highway but Im less concerned about what others think my car looks like and how it should perform.
Old 01-12-16, 01:38 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Would love to see somebody doing IS350 with IS-F swap.
There's very little you can do with an IS-F engine. The LS-swap with a LS-specific ECU would allow you to tune and do pretty much whatever you want in terms of modifications. You could twin turbo it with over 1,000 horsepower to the wheels. IS-F? Not so much.
Old 01-12-16, 03:46 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Up to the Buyer

Coming from a BMW 335xi that will smoke most but an F series, and owning a BMW 5 Series that was as solid as a tank, it was discovered that speed was nice to have but seldom if ever used or needed. Switching to Lexus was hard enough as a big fan of BMW, but a loaded IS250 hits several sweet spots such as price, refinement, reliability, handling and styling. Overall, after over two years of ownership, I have found the IS250 to be one of the best and most desirable cars purchased over the years. Not being a fan of four cyliner tubros would guide me to purchase a 2016 IS350 or most likely the RC350.

We are seriously considering the new RX350...what a great looking and performing machine. However, it would replace a 2013 ES not the IS250. I expect Lexus to once again overtake BMW in US sales. They are really stepping up the game.
Old 01-12-16, 04:41 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dendenyc
I feel this pretty much hits the nail on the head.
Not everyone's driving to "keep up with ordinary sedans".

I bought this car because it handles very well and is a nice compromise between an all out sports car and a luxury sedan which is also RELIABLE. If you feel like chugging mundanely along then you would have been wiser to get something waayyy cheaper than what you spent for an IS......

Originally Posted by dendenyc
I can understand this because when I was younger my blood would literally boil every time Im at a light and a ordinary sedan or any other sports car would pull up next to me...I had to always show them that my car was faster, louder, etc and I got enough tickets/suspensions to match.

I had my days of having a hooked up sports car and my share of tickets as well though your blood boiling problem seems far more severe than mine and perhaps you should have seeked help.

Now that I am older I too am less drawn to those things but I dont fool myself into thinking that I cant appreciate an enthusiastic pull or a corner and the ability to out accelerate most "ordinary sedans" if there is a need for it.

If you are not into performance driving then there are cheaper cars that you can go slow in, just stay off the passing lane.
Old 01-12-16, 04:44 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Originally Posted by grey250
Once I put a performance chip, and intake in it should boost it 40 or 50 hp, at least from what I read
Put a turbonator on it and you get another 50HP. $10K saved right there.
Old 01-13-16, 12:14 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a turbonator on it and you get another 50HP. $10K saved right there.
Except for the fact that turbonator you added just voided your factory warranty. So yes, you may save on the upfront upgrade cost, but you're on your own if you have any mechanical issues down the line. I'd rather just get the IS350 than deal with future complications and decrease its reliability.

Last edited by theoryguy; 01-13-16 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 06:02 AM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Except for the fact that turbonator you added just voided your factory warranty. So yes, you may save on the upfront upgrade cost, but you're on your own if you have any mechanical issues down the line. I'd rather just get the IS350 than deal with future complications and decrease its reliability.
I am guessing you don't know what a turbonator is.....

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Intake-Supercharger-Booster-Turbonator/dp/B004N8W31O

My statement was meant to be as ridiculous as the person thinking they can get 50hp with a chip and intake.
Old 01-13-16, 06:24 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

for me the 5-7k proce difference for 100hp that I wont use because of my ride height doesn't make sense for me.....
Old 01-13-16, 07:12 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am guessing you don't know what a turbonator is.....

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Intake-Supercharger-Booster-Turbonator/dp/B004N8W31O

My statement was meant to be as ridiculous as the person thinking they can get 50hp with a chip and intake.
[sarcasm]
The turbonator is trash I am currently developing an all new device the turbactor it not only will give you as much as 55hp power gain depending on your engine but it will make authentic wishing and pishing sounds just like you hear in the classic film Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. All from a 9volt battery for only $79.99.

details on a group buy coming soon
[\sarcasm]

sorry to thread jack I couldn't resist.
Old 01-13-16, 07:48 AM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Originally Posted by manchild
[sarcasm]
The turbonator is trash I am currently developing an all new device the turbactor it not only will give you as much as 55hp power gain depending on your engine but it will make authentic wishing and pishing sounds just like you hear in the classic film Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. All from a 9volt battery for only $79.99.

details on a group buy coming soon
[\sarcasm]

sorry to thread jack I couldn't resist.
For that low price....ill take three, thats a 165 hp increase. Add a chip and intake and Ill be chasing down M3s in no time.
Old 01-13-16, 09:27 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For that low price....ill take three, thats a 165 hp increase. Add a chip and intake and Ill be chasing down M3s in no time.
my neighbors at work are looking at me weird because I'm laughing so hard now! lol
Old 01-13-16, 09:54 AM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheaper

I've been tempted by the 350 but in the end I'm waiting till my 911

Quick Reply: Why does some people buy IS250 instead of IS350?