IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Use of (Eco,Normal,Sport) button

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 08:25 PM
Ekilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of (Eco,Normal,Sport) button

Just wondering what most of you guys use when driving? I usually have mines on normal at all times. Rarely I'll put it into sport, if i feel the need for more power and speed. Eco, i use when its bumper to bumper traffic. Question for Eco though, is it ok to leave it in Eco mode when driving long distances? Is it supposed to save you alot of gas if you do so?
Old 01-08-16, 10:20 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Technically speaking, eco would only save you gas in the city and yes it is ok to leave it on eco. I have been driving in eco for past few month mainly because it is more comfortable and not as jumpy as in normal.
Old 01-08-16, 11:44 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive in normal most of the time with with sport+ mode when i am taking freeway corners or driving "enthusiastically". I wish there was a way to leave the car in sport or sport + mode instead of having to change modes every time you start the car.
Old 01-09-16, 09:29 AM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to drive in eco mode most of the time. Except for when I leave work. Always sport mode when I pull away from the office!
Old 01-09-16, 09:03 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I mostly drive my car in normal with eco off. Gas mileage has been the same for me with or without the eco. Car runs a lil bit stronger with the eco off in normal mode
Old 01-10-16, 05:57 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normal mode on the interstate, sport+ all other times!
Old 01-10-16, 07:12 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive in normal 95% of the time. I go into sport+ mode when I wanna have a bit more fun around corners.
Old 01-13-16, 02:53 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Being in Eco Mode does not save you any more gas than as if you're in Normal Mode
With that said:
Eco: 0%
Normal: 90%
Sport: 10%
Old 01-13-16, 04:10 PM
39RN
Driver

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Being in Eco Mode does not save you any more gas than as if you're in Normal Mode
With that said:
Eco: 0%
Normal: 90%
Sport: 10%
If that is in fact the case, out of curiosity, why the need for an eco mode? is it there for emission purposes instead of fuel savings?
Old 01-13-16, 06:02 PM
CrackerJac
Driver

Personally, I can feel a difference in throttle response in initial takeoff in Eco vs Normal. I also tend to have the 'Eco' light on more often than the slights blips of it going off with normal.

Whether or not this makes any real world difference is debatable though. Without seeing studies to back up either claim, I'm led to believe that overall normal mode is just as eco-friendly as 'Eco' itself.
Old 01-13-16, 06:21 PM
Carbonite
Rookie

Every time I sit down: two turns to the right on the mode **** followed by a 5+ second depression of the traction control button. Finally the shifter goes into manual mode. I wish they offered a 6 speed manual.
Old 01-13-16, 06:33 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 39RN
If that is in fact the case, out of curiosity, why the need for an eco mode? is it there for emission purposes instead of fuel savings?
Eco mode feels like the throttle tip-in is less. It also feels like it doesn't downshift as much and doesn't give as much throttle compared to if you were in normal mode.
Old 01-13-16, 06:46 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

I used to go back and forth between normal and eco bc i thought there would be a huge difference in fuel economy, but switched to Sport + when i realized there's only 1 or 2 mpg difference. I now keep it in Sport + most of the time...just wish it stayed in Sport + mode (my wife's QX60 stays in sport mode).

Fun driving > fuel economy
Old 01-13-16, 07:14 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
I used to go back and forth between normal and eco bc i thought there would be a huge difference in fuel economy, but switched to Sport + when i realized there's only 1 or 2 mpg difference. I now keep it in Sport + most of the time...just wish it stayed in Sport + mode (my wife's QX60 stays in sport mode).

Fun driving > fuel economy
I wish that at the very least they made it some kind of programming thing that we could easily buy something to override it going back to normal.

Like Spend 100 bucks on amazon to buy something that you can plug in and Sport + would stay enabled.

It's a huge gripe I have with this car.
Old 01-13-16, 07:24 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
I wish that at the very least they made it some kind of programming thing that we could easily buy something to override it going back to normal.

Like Spend 100 bucks on amazon to buy something that you can plug in and Sport + would stay enabled.

It's a huge gripe I have with this car.
First world problems!

Quick Reply: Use of (Eco,Normal,Sport) button