IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Extended Warranty Price / Plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 12:28 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Price / Plans

So, I have two 2014 IS 250s, one of which was purchased new and the other of which was purchased CPO about a month ago. At the time the vehicle was purchased new, I also purchased an extended vehicle service agreement (platinum seven years 100k miles). While CPO vehicle, however has the three year 100k mile warranty attached and I really want to extend the limits of the warranty by purchasing an extended vehicle service agreement.

I called the dealership that I bought the CPO vehicle from and was quoted $1,900 to extend the existing CPO warranty to a platinum vehicle service agreement by three years (six years total from the vehicle's purchase date) with the mileage staying the same. He said that I could extend the mileage to 125k, although could not extend the yearly coverage beyond 6 total from the purchase date.

Is $1,900 a good price for an extension of just three years?

I already know people may say it's a waste of money, but I had a 2IS that had major problems and the extended warranty saved me from what would have been enormous repair bills. Peace of mind is what I'm after.
Old 01-08-16, 02:53 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

anyone?! are there any owners here who have extended warranties or are you all mostly lessees?

input from someone, pleeaaase!
Old 01-08-16, 06:13 PM
tambo916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you receive the quote before the end of the year or this year? I believe warranty changed on January first I was quoted 1650 for a 6 year 100k extension to a cpo ls 460 at the end of the year. So I think you could probably do better. I did push a little to get that price.
Old 01-08-16, 06:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tambo916
did you receive the quote before the end of the year or this year? I believe warranty changed on January first I was quoted 1650 for a 6 year 100k extension to a cpo ls 460 at the end of the year. So I think you could probably do better. I did push a little to get that price.
really? that's good. the dealers over here don't seem as though they want to negotiate on a stand-alone extended service plan. it's like, this is the price, take it or leave it. for example, i told lexus of carlsbad that lexus of san diego quoted me a better price (lexus of carlsbad is my servicing dealership) and lexus of carlsbad pretty much said, 'so what...'

oh, and i received the quote today, although i bought the cpo car on december 13th.
Old 01-09-16, 06:43 AM
tambo916
Driver School Candidate

Interesting prices may have gone up on the cpo wrap warranties after the new year. I know my dealer said I had to. It before the end of the year because there was going to be some lock out period until feb. I would call around to a few dealers and see what you can find out about the new programs and then offer a price that is reasonable. That is what I did. I told the dealer to get me an aggressive price and I would probably buy the warranty he came back with 1750 and I said if you could sell it for 1550 I would buy he said he could take off another 100 bucks. Which seemed reasonable.
Old 01-09-16, 07:07 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Interesting prices may have gone up on the cpo wrap warranties after the new year. I know my dealer said I had to. It before the end of the year because there was going to be some lock out period until feb. I would call around to a few dealers and see what you can find out about the new programs and then offer a price that is reasonable. That is what I did. I told the dealer to get me an aggressive price and I would probably buy the warranty he came back with 1750 and I said if you could sell it for 1550 I would buy he said he could take off another 100 bucks. Which seemed reasonable.
yeah, that's exactly what some dealerships told me re: the lockout period until the end of february after which prices and conditions may or may not be changed, although a number of dealerships were still willing (and apparently able) to sell various LFS VSAs now.

i'll try to negotiate, although negotiation isn't one of my strong suits, so wish me luck. i'll likely be purchasing the extended warranty next month anyhow.

great tips on how to negotiate, though -- thanks! again, wish me luck because i'll need it at the beginning of february and thanks again for your help!
Old 01-09-16, 07:20 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember, you can shop around to different dealerships for extended warranties. The warranty is tied to your car, not the dealership you buy it from.
Old 01-09-16, 07:28 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Remember, you can shop around to different dealerships for extended warranties. The warranty is tied to your car, not the dealership you buy it from.
yes, thank you. i have tried calling and getting quotes from various dealerships across san diego county, although the prices have been largely uniform. i may branch out into counties north, e.g., los angeles, orange, riverside, etc., to see if i can gain better quotes.

the big question that no one seems to be able to answer is how long i have to purchase an extended certified VSA that will bring the warranty from three to six years with either 100k or 125k miles. i would assume until the CPO warranty runs out, but that's a risky assumption with no one really knowing what's going on.

i know that i can always purchase a new car warranty as long as i'm still under factory warranty (and i am), although they are way more expensive when purchasing not at the point of sale for some reason and would offer me a few months fewer coverage. this may be, however, my only recourse should lexus decide to get rid of the certified VSA option due to the revamping of the L/Certified program.
Old 01-09-16, 08:52 AM
tambo916
Driver School Candidate

Yes I would be careful with the time frames and ask the dealer. My dealer told me you use to have until the cpo expired to buy the warranty but that was changing with the new program. He also told me that I had to buy before the end of the month which apparently wasn't accurate based on what you heard from the dealers you talked to.
Old 01-09-16, 09:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yes I would be careful with the time frames and ask the dealer. My dealer told me you use to have until the cpo expired to buy the warranty but that was changing with the new program. He also told me that I had to buy before the end of the month which apparently wasn't accurate based on what you heard from the dealers you talked to.
yes, everything is majorly convoluted. the lack of information from headquarters to the dealership network and subsequently to the consumer is very frustrating.

i appreciate your help.