IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Repairs to a damaged vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 09:00 PM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Repairs to a damaged vehicle

My car was hit while I was parked at work, the offenders insurance is paying for repairs but only covering an aftermarket headlamp and a refurbished wheel...I think this is total crap and should be entitled to OEM parts which the car had when I purchased it and considering I wasnt even in the vehicle when it was hit.

Is there any way to force them to pay for OEM parts? I realize they are trying to save themselves money but I lose out on something totally out of my control...
Old 01-07-16, 09:05 PM
alpha12
Driver

2014 IS350 FSport
Old 01-07-16, 09:09 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can always negotiate with insurance companies, play hard ball.
Old 01-07-16, 09:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Where are you located? In Cali, you get to choose the body shop and they have to pay. Just make sure the body shop you go to only uses OEM. Find out the rules in your state. They may be trying to hustle you.
Old 01-07-16, 09:22 PM
alpha12
Driver

Ohio location, they claim they are only responsible for the value of a 2014 headlamp with 2 years depreciation which is equivalent to this brand new aftermarket headlamp. MSRP difference for a new oem headlamp and this aftermarket one is 600$. They claim I'm not owed a brand new oem headlamp since mine was not new at the time of the wreck.

Bodyshop of my choice claims they submitted bill for oem parts and it was 'hacked away by the insurance company' and this is all they would pay for.
Old 01-07-16, 10:07 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

i'd lawyer up at the LEAST. you are entitled to OEM parts. be ready to fight, they may/will eventually cave in. most people would foolishly just take the aftermarket parts and be on their way.
Old 01-07-16, 11:16 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your insurance company doing? They should be fighting for you
Old 01-07-16, 11:21 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

go through your insurance they will retrieve the money from the other party. this sounds like utter bull**** and is absolutely illegal in ontario, canada, should be very similar in the states, i would be surprised if it isn't.
Old 01-08-16, 01:21 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I learned through previous accidents that weren't my fault that it was much better and easier for me to go through my insurance and let them deal with collecting from the other party's insurance. Then it's guaranteed to be repaired with OEM parts and to my satisfaction. My rates don't go up because it wasn't my fault.
Old 01-08-16, 09:20 AM
Meganw206
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What insurance company are you dealing with? I had similar issues dealing with All-State I got rear ended and they were only going to pay for half the price of the bumper because I had minor previous cosmetic damage. Luckily I have a solid body shop that helped me out and got a new adjuster in from the insurance company and they ended up covering all of it.
Old 01-08-16, 01:14 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

lol i doubt there is aftermarket replacements of our headlights just yet.
its too new, they can only go with used oem or new oem.
Old 01-18-16, 12:10 PM
alpha12
Driver

Sorry for the delay in responding, have had a hectic schedule as of late. Am dealing with a small local insurance company called hastings. Have got the car back and am happy with everything aside from the atfermarket headlight...It produces this funky rainbow glare and am now trying to deal with the shop for an oem one, which i originally requested. This aftermarket one still carried a price tag of $1005.

The area above the white light and the boarders have a glare/reflective spot. In daylight the headlamp looks identical to the oem one, its only the light emitted that is an issue.

Last edited by alpha12; 01-18-16 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 04:21 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

i would demand an OEM headlight. theres no way i would let the insurance or body shop get away with that. you pay your insurance on time right? so they should treat you right and get OEM parts.
Old 01-18-16, 04:49 PM
alpha12
Driver

Of course, but this is the person who hit my car's insurance and they are trying to do it as cheaply as possible. Apparently they legally can get away with only replacing with aftermarket parts even though mine had oem. I have a case if it doesn't look right, which i am pursuing now.
Old 01-18-16, 04:56 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

ah gotcha. sorry i didn't read that part. are you sure they didn't cheap out on anything else? like any other parts replaced. lets hope you don't have this issue again, god forbid. but in the event this does happen, next time go through your insurance and have them fight to get the money back. you're premium won't go up because you weren't even moving. plus then you'll be assured to get it the way you want since its your company. let them do the hard work! i hope it all works out.

Quick Reply: Repairs to a damaged vehicle