IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Overriding Seat Sensors for Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 09:57 AM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overriding Seat Sensors for Heated Seats

Does anyone know where the sensor that detects when someone is sitting in the front seat is located on a 2014 IS350 F Sport with Navigation? Or, which wires are used on any of the harness for the seat sensors? Currently, the heated front seats only turn on when someone is in the seats and I would like them to turn on when the car is remotely started. I’m thinking I will override the sensor with a timed latched output of my alarm/starter CM-7000AS. If I don’t find any adverse effects, I may just permanently override the sensors. The only thing I can think of at this point that overriding the sensor would change besides the heating element is the passenger airbag would always be on. Any help, ideas, or concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by eeMatt; 01-06-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 10:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by eeMatt
Currently, the heated front seats only turn on when someone is in the seats and I would like them to turn on when the car is remotely started.t
That is not how they worked on my '14 IS - they were not tied to the sensor in any way, so they would function whether someone was in the seat or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-06-16, 10:37 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
That is not how they worked on my '14 IS - they were not tied to the sensor in any way, so they would function whether someone was in the seat or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
Same here 14 IS350. The way the heated seats respond to the button and whether they stay on full or slowly turn down to off and how they turn on can all be programmed through the OBDII port. The dealership will do it for free within a reasonable amount of miles past new. Just ask or get a bluetooth dongle and Carista and code the car yourself.
Old 01-06-16, 10:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
Same here 14 IS350. The way the heated seats respond to the button and whether they stay on full or slowly turn down to off and how they turn on can all be programmed through the OBDII port. The dealership will do it for free within a reasonable amount of miles past new. Just ask or get a bluetooth dongle and Carista and code the car yourself.
You can simply hold both heat buttons down at the same time, until they beep, and it'll disable the auto feature.
Old 01-06-16, 10:55 AM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by manchild
Are you sure the ability to change the heated seats to turn on without a person in them is a configurable option?

I've been able to change the auto leveling / static level option with the buttons, but that has no impact on needing to be in the seat or not to power the heating element. Looking through the manual, I don't see this as a dealer configurable option. However, I know there are options available to the dealer that are not listed in the manual. My dealership would for sure charge me one hour of labor for the change as I've already done my free adjustment. I don't mind programming it myself and would also like to see what else is configurable with Carista (http://www.caristaapp.com/)

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by eeMatt; 01-06-16 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 11:10 AM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

http://www.caristaapp.com/customizat...xus_is350_2014

Looking at the customization Carista lists for the 2014 IS350, I only see the option for seat heater mode to be auto or manual. Is this the option you are thinking of? This sounds like the same thing that is changed when holding the two heated seat buttons.