IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Let's talk about the mod(s) you regret the most...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 08:26 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Only one regret. The 6000K HID Powerhouse head light bulbs. Color temp is fine but they are too dim at night and they look like they are getting dimmer over time.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8132047
That's strange...maybe you got a defective bulb.....I have the 5000k HID powerhouse bulbs and they are still bright as new, I actually find them brighter than stock...been using it for 1 year now
Old 01-12-16, 08:33 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Sphinx007
That's strange...maybe you got a defective bulb.....I have the 5000k HID powerhouse bulbs and they are still bright as new, I actually find them brighter than stock...been using it for 1 year now

Both bulbs are not very bright so I doubt both are defective. It's possible the 6000K ones from them have lower lumens output than the 5000K.
Old 01-12-16, 08:43 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FullAtomic
That motto is on point .

yep. buy the best and you'll only cry once
Old 01-12-16, 12:52 PM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Philips are brighter, but I'll let others who have swapped for these or other brands, chime in.
Can you link to the specific HIDs you're referring to? Thanks.

What can you expect to pay for these?
Old 01-12-16, 01:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by treymoczy

I'm not referring to any specific Phillips bulbs. Don't know.

The ones I bought are entry-level HID/Xenon D4S bulbs. You do get what you pay... Not sure if these are still the exact ones that match mine but they were about the same price, the Verus 6000K: http://hidpowerhouse.com/d4s-hid-bulbs-p-167.html
Old 01-12-16, 03:09 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Amazon.com: Philips Ultinon 6000k 42402WX D4S Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: Philips Ultinon 6000k 42402WX D4S Bulb: Automotive

these highly recommended. philips d4s bulbs. they go for ~$250 a pair

Last edited by dnasians; 01-12-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 04:31 PM
Xenosis32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sphinx007
From what I was told before and correct me if I am wrong, all bulbs dim over time.

I got the Philips Ultinon 6200K from Nigel, I personally love them, a little cooler in colour: http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/philips-ultinon-6200k-d4s
Old 01-12-16, 06:45 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IScrazzd
I

That was my thought from all the posts I have read. Was thinking of lowering on downs but still am worried about how the stock shocks would interact with a smaller spring. Don't want to waste any money on springs when the best option would've been to just get coilovers. After all the f-sport is mostly a suspension upgrade while forgoing luxury. It is almost counterintuitive.

That is way too much camber when really you would almost want those rear tires to have full contact. Talk about ruining rubber in no time.

Are you running stock wheels?
I've had both coilovers and springs on a couple other cars. Choosing one over the other is really about height and damping adjustment. If you're not going to be fiddling with either then getting coilovers could be a wasted investment. I like the amount of drop the Down's give and with Sport and Sport+ mode I have damping adjustment from the factory.
With the mild drop I get from them I'm not concerned about the the stock shocks being adversely affected. Plus there's the fact that Lexus offers their own lowering springs with similar drop. It just acknowledges that the shocks are still operating within spec.

What surprised me was seeing that -2.1 camber was still within spec, barely. I personally don't like that much negative camber nor do I need it. With the camber arms I have both front and rear at -1.1 and still looks OEM but with a lower stance.

Old 01-12-16, 06:54 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Both bulbs are not very bright so I doubt both are defective. It's possible the 6000K ones from them have lower lumens output than the 5000K.
Correct, the low k-rating have higher output in lumens. 4300>5000>6000, etc
Old 01-13-16, 09:52 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

I'm not referring to any specific Phillips bulbs. Don't know.

The ones I bought are entry-level HID/Xenon D4S bulbs. You do get what you pay... Not sure if these are still the exact ones that match mine but they were about the same price, the Verus 6000K: http://hidpowerhouse.com/d4s-hid-bulbs-p-167.html
Ohh maybe that's why...I got the MaxTT bulbs from them...probably these are brighter than Verus bulbs
Old 01-13-16, 09:58 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Originally Posted by gregerst
I've had both coilovers and springs on a couple other cars. Choosing one over the other is really about height and damping adjustment. If you're not going to be fiddling with either then getting coilovers could be a wasted investment. I like the amount of drop the Down's give and with Sport and Sport+ mode I have damping adjustment from the factory.
With the mild drop I get from them I'm not concerned about the the stock shocks being adversely affected. Plus there's the fact that Lexus offers their own lowering springs with similar drop. It just acknowledges that the shocks are still operating within spec.

What surprised me was seeing that -2.1 camber was still within spec, barely. I personally don't like that much negative camber nor do I need it. With the camber arms I have both front and rear at -1.1 and still looks OEM but with a lower stance.

That was my thinking as well about the RSR down springs but actually the drop from the down springs are lower than the OEM F sport springs they offer....the OEM F sport springs only offer a 1" drop where as the RSR downs drop the front 1.2-1.4" and front 1-1.2" so I'm uncertain whether that extra drop will cause premature wear on the oem shocks
Old 01-14-16, 04:01 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for answering back guys! How many fingers can you fit between fender and tires?
I guess time will tell if those shocks will be adversely affected with the use of lowering springs. Hopefully guys with lowered cars from 2014 models can chime in on that subject.
Old 01-14-16, 08:14 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is about 1/2 a finger gap in the back and maybe 1 1/2 up front.
Old 01-15-16, 05:56 AM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Wayyyyyy better than the four I can fit on mine!
Old 01-20-16, 08:29 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

I have a set of rsr downs and spc rear camber arms now in my garage... hopefully those go well

Quick Reply: Let's talk about the mod(s) you regret the most...