IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Let's talk about the mod(s) you regret the most...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 02:22 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a list of things I regret because it costed me extra out of my pocket/knew it would be a waste of money.... Going in order...

1. Front window tinted
-Got a fix it ticket for that, the police officer was in a bad mood that day I suppose...
-$45

2. EZ Lip(similar product to All Fit)
-When I first got my car, I was desperate to mod my car. No products available in the beginning, so I purchased the EZ lip as a temp. From the start, I knew I would take it off until I got a real deal lip/splitter. I ended up taking it out before that even happened. It made it look good from far away, but i'm very into detail and did not like it up close.
Bottom line, it's 1 level down an ebay(some ebay lips look and fit good) lip; regardless, that's not the route I want for my car.
-$35

3. Resonator delete at a cheap shop...
-This mod for me is kinda on the wall... When I first got my car, I was desperate for some sound, because as we all know, the IS is quiet! Got it done for a good price, but I highly recommend paying extra at a shop that can execute this professionally and intelligently. Unless you're not worried about how it looks, then definitely the cheapest route.

What was the lesson here? I recommend paying just a little more for a professional operating weld shop.
-OR- if you know you're getting a new mid pipe/full exhaust, do not bother!
-$30

What's the lesson here? Think first, then make proper decision. And never go cheap.
Old 01-07-16, 03:27 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received some window visors that were suppose to look close to the jdm visors and well they dont. I only paid 70 bucks for them so for sure there coming off the car. They look super cheap
Old 01-07-16, 03:48 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo55
I just received some window visors that were suppose to look close to the jdm visors and well they dont. I only paid 70 bucks for them so for sure there coming off the car. They look super cheap
Do weathertech look better?
Old 01-07-16, 03:55 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Do weathertech look better?
i actually like my weathertechs. they come scuffed up, but from a distance they look pretty good
Old 01-07-16, 03:57 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dnasians
i actually like my weathertechs. they come scuffed up, but from a distance they look pretty good
Hmmm, thanks I might get them.
Old 01-07-16, 07:47 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OvOxNO
I lowered mine this past weekend, fairly easy install with correct tools and a little help. You can tell the difference versus factory springs on rough spots in the road (bumps/dips) but other than that the ride remains pretty smooth. I had coils on my 2is on a 2 inch drop and daily driving was tedious, only tedious part with the RSR superdowns is the front bumper (especially if you go with a lip) luckily I temporarily have the "all fit" on the front, cheap, looks good and is a lot more forgiving than a higher priced lip a "practice" lip so to speak . I guess my only regret about it so far is pulling out of parking lots with a bigger dip than i anticipated and having to do the walk of shame to check for damage to the lip afterwards as long as its not the fenders
Would you have gone with the down springs knowing what you know now? Is your vehicle AWD?
Old 01-07-16, 07:51 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iddi0tt
what kind of mileage were you getting?
couldnt tell you but i notice the miles per gallon (remaining) was dropping down faster per mile just but looking at it
Old 01-07-16, 07:54 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

@ iddiot
additional traction was felt during hard cornering but nothing major. it shifted weird too, sometimes when deaccelerating. the best thing to do is to just remove the torsen unit and put it in the is250 pumpkin, i will do it soon because i have a high dollar diff just sitting here and it cannot be sold
Old 01-07-16, 07:57 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

I
Originally Posted by gregerst
I've been lowered on RSR downs for a few months and have no regrets here. Initially I didn't like the -2.1 camber on the rears but fixed that with camber arms. Looks better, rides about the same and still has enough clearance not to scrape most inclines and driveways and thankfully for the times I pulled up to close, the front lip barely clears curbs.
That was my thought from all the posts I have read. Was thinking of lowering on downs but still am worried about how the stock shocks would interact with a smaller spring. Don't want to waste any money on springs when the best option would've been to just get coilovers. After all the f-sport is mostly a suspension upgrade while forgoing luxury. It is almost counterintuitive.

That is way too much camber when really you would almost want those rear tires to have full contact. Talk about ruining rubber in no time.

Are you running stock wheels?

Last edited by IScrazzd; 01-07-16 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Error
Old 01-07-16, 08:04 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maveri9720
I've been on RSR Super Downs for over 6 months and I still love it (2015 IS250 RWD F-Sport). The look is perfect for me and the ride is the same, IMO. No bouncing, no jarring, no bottoming out. Now, I do live in south Florida, so the roads are great and I don't have to deal with any inclement weather. I too have the All-Fit lip on my front bumper and it looks good and has also saved my butt a few times when I wasn't paying attention. Down side is you have to be more mindful when driving and going over bumps and when parking, but I'm totally ok with that for the look and ride I now have. I don't see myself going back unless I move out of south Florida.
Do you have stock wheels? Please post a pic. Much appreciated. Great to have you guys help me out in taking the right decision . Always looking for best bang for the buck. Been down the " modifying before really finding out the outcome " road.

Having kids , mortgage and everything else makes someone think twice about throwing their money around.
Old 01-07-16, 08:10 PM
IScrazzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brokenis
Here's a list of things I regret because it costed me extra out of my pocket/knew it would be a waste of money.... Going in order...

1. Front window tinted
-Got a fix it ticket for that, the police officer was in a bad mood that day I suppose...
-$45

2. EZ Lip(similar product to All Fit)
-When I first got my car, I was desperate to mod my car. No products available in the beginning, so I purchased the EZ lip as a temp. From the start, I knew I would take it off until I got a real deal lip/splitter. I ended up taking it out before that even happened. It made it look good from far away, but i'm very into detail and did not like it up close.
Bottom line, it's 1 level down an ebay(some ebay lips look and fit good) lip; regardless, that's not the route I want for my car.
-$35

3. Resonator delete at a cheap shop...
-This mod for me is kinda on the wall... When I first got my car, I was desperate for some sound, because as we all know, the IS is quiet! Got it done for a good price, but I highly recommend paying extra at a shop that can execute this professionally and intelligently. Unless you're not worried about how it looks, then definitely the cheapest route.

What was the lesson here? I recommend paying just a little more for a professional operating weld shop.
-OR- if you know you're getting a new mid pipe/full exhaust, do not bother!
-$30

What's the lesson here? Think first, then make proper decision. And never go cheap.
Been down that road with my RX-7. Cheapin' out on the Chinese crap never pyas off in the end. Great input.
Old 01-08-16, 05:51 AM
OvOxNO
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IScrazzd
Would you have gone with the down springs knowing what you know now? Is your vehicle AWD?
My vehicle is RWD and yes I definitely would have went with the springs. The car looks 10x better in my opinion and with that I haven't lost the total comfort of the ride we all expect from a luxury vehicle. In saying all of that my ONLY regret would be underestimating the drop due to prior experience with coils and not being as careful pulling in/ exiting parking lots with inclines. But honestly its mainly the front bumper you have to be careful with and I think 98% of that is due to the added length the "all fit" gives it, the actual bumper has taken zero damage. It really boils down to operator error.
Old 01-08-16, 06:04 AM
OvOxNO
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Hats off to the guys lowered with no regrets on purchasing higher end lip kits. Mine would be damaged beyond belief right now.
Old 01-08-16, 05:32 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

hmm... i wonder if i should add a lip along with my rsr down springs...
Old 01-08-16, 06:04 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine would be the Skipper front lip, I should have bought the carbon fiber version.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about the mod(s) you regret the most...