Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For more fun time to trade it in for RC-F or IS-F V8 power
Old 01-07-16, 06:48 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MWIS350
For more fun time to trade it in for RC-F or IS-F V8 power

I was close to pulling the trigger on an IS-F but HATED the interior and a major requirement was voice controls and a good bluetooth system so i could schedule conference calls to take on the road and leave work earlier.
Old 01-08-16, 03:25 AM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take on making the IS fun...

1. Alignment
2. 18x9.5+45 square, lightest wheel that supports BBK in the front.
3. 265/35/18, Stickiest tires you can afford
4. RR Racing Ultimate Steering Response System
5. Full BBK, recommend F Sport BBK, Minimum 4 pot rear
6. KW V3 Coilovers, RSR Sport Coilovers, or any high end coil over system with Swift Springs(Recommended rates before moving onto custom)
10. Joe Z Intake
11. PPE Headers
15. Invidia Q300 Full Exhaust
16. Tune, if you can find the right guy
17. APR Full Front, Side, and rear Splitter
18. Alignment
20. Have fun, at track.
21. Then many more adjustments to come.
22. When a Supercharger comes out... get that too.
Old 01-08-16, 06:31 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by Brokenis
Here's my take on making the IS fun...

1. Alignment
2. 18x9.5+45 square, lightest wheel that supports BBK in the front.
3. 265/35/18, Stickiest tires you can afford
4. RR Racing Ultimate Steering Response System
5. Full BBK, recommend F Sport BBK, Minimum 4 pot rear
6. KW V3 Coilovers, RSR Sport Coilovers, or any high end coil over system with Swift Springs(Recommended rates before moving onto custom)
10. Joe Z Intake
11. PPE Headers
15. Invidia Q300 Full Exhaust
16. Tune, if you can find the right guy
17. APR Full Front, Side, and rear Splitter
18. Alignment
20. Have fun, at track.
21. Then many more adjustments to come.
22. When a Supercharger comes out... get that too.
HAHA so what you are saying is to just buy a more fun car for much cheaper
Old 01-08-16, 10:38 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Just get some rear camber kit and correctly adjust the rear camber as they come extremely low from the factory.

I believe the car is way too comfortable and well behave to be considered fun. Its mainly due to long gearing, no exhaust sound what so ever, and steering numbness. Certainly not as fun as my old sti but i think this car actually handles better.

Btw, fun and being fast are totally different thing.
Old 01-08-16, 11:22 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Just get some rear camber kit and correctly adjust the rear camber as they come extremely low from the factory.

I believe the car is way too comfortable and well behave to be considered fun. Its mainly due to long gearing, no exhaust sound what so ever, and steering numbness. Certainly not as fun as my old sti but i think this car actually handles better.

I agree with you. The IS IMO is fast enough for daily driving, you get up to speed pretty quickly and is pretty comfortable even with RSR Half Downs. I find it fun to drive around town and occasionally taking some curves here and there.

I do find that my 14 Mazda 3 is funner to drive than the IS though. It's a manual, you use the whole power band to get up to speed, its light and handles just as well as the IS. It's not as fast as the IS though.

I believe its all subjective...
Old 01-09-16, 02:45 AM
Brokenis
Driver

One coming from an evo 9 will say it's comfortable and luxurious, definitely not a race type car.
Another coming from a Toyota sienna will say it's fast and sporty.

I agree with you guys, all subjective.

Back on topic, how would you guys make the is fun?
Old 01-09-16, 08:13 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also wondering would anyone know the RC350 AWD rear sway would fit on a IS350 AWD?
Thx
Old 01-10-16, 12:30 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

One coming from an evo 9 will say it's comfortable and luxurious, definitely not a race type car.

That's funny, I actually own a new sienna..

and the IS is much more quieter and less bumpier.
Old 01-13-16, 08:14 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Good news, i figured it out!

Drive a rental Chrysler 200 one day a month. Ive been in one for 2 weeks now and I CANT WAIT to get back into my car and I'm sure it'll feel fun.
Old 01-13-16, 09:03 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen a lot of people suggesting that more power is the answer. Power doesn't equal fun. The main issue with the IS350 is that it's not engaging. This car is plenty quick and has decent grip, but nothing about driving it makes me want to be a hooligan. To me, the transmission really lets it down. Sure, it's not a manual, but paddle shifters can be fun - if it's a DCT. The paddle shifters in the IS350 are just too slow.

My previous cars (RSX-S, RS4, 335i) were all stick, but beyond that, they just begged me to push them around corners and hit redline on a regular basis. I currently have an S2000 as a weekend car. Granted, I'm comparing apples to oranges but that car has little power and NO torque. Yet, I'm fully engaged and smiling every time I drive it. On the other hand, the IS350 seems like really nice, reasonably fast transportation. I actually enjoy riding in the passenger seat as much as I enjoy driving it, if that makes any sense.
Old 01-14-16, 02:37 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the car is pretty fun and engaging to me in Sport+ mode. Maybe the OP needs to get off the freeway. I suggest Googling "twisty roads (where you live)".
Old 01-14-16, 03:04 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
HAHA so what you are saying is to just buy a more fun car for much cheaper
The topic was "How to make an IS350 fun", and that is exactly how i'd make it fun

Fun in anyway is a matter of opinion isn't it, but it works both ways.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with a car that handles really well at the track.

But i'll also have lots of fun with a horsepower beast.

So, can you really say fast isn't fun? I doubt it, or else everyone would be buying Miatas and only working on suspension mods.

That's funny, I actually own a new sienna..

and the IS is much more quieter and less bumpier.
It may be more quiet and less bumpier, but it isn't as fast or as 'sporty' feeling, or looking.

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I've seen a lot of people suggesting that more power is the answer. Power doesn't equal fun. The main issue with the IS350 is that it's not engaging. This car is plenty quick and has decent grip, but nothing about driving it makes me want to be a hooligan. To me, the transmission really lets it down. Sure, it's not a manual, but paddle shifters can be fun - if it's a DCT. The paddle shifters in the IS350 are just too slow.

My previous cars (RSX-S, RS4, 335i) were all stick, but beyond that, they just begged me to push them around corners and hit redline on a regular basis. I currently have an S2000 as a weekend car. Granted, I'm comparing apples to oranges but that car has little power and NO torque. Yet, I'm fully engaged and smiling every time I drive it. On the other hand, the IS350 seems like really nice, reasonably fast transportation. I actually enjoy riding in the passenger seat as much as I enjoy driving it, if that makes any sense.
I understand exactly where you're coming from. The S2000 is meant to be a drivers car, it's nimble, reasonably fast, superior suspension, and raw feel. And it's a beast at the track, you probably know that. But not everyone knows that the S2000 was built to take the corners, instead of going straight on in a drag race. Every car was designed to specifications, and the IS is not meant to be a hardcore track car.

But to say more power doesn't equal fun? Thats a matter of opinion, but if you ask me, depending on the car, is more power necessary at the track? Probably not.

In general, more power is always more fun.