IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How much has your car deteriorated just owning/driving it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 04:41 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much has your car deteriorated just owning/driving it?

I'm at 19K. My car will soon be complety repainted with touchup paint. Exciting. Just from normal driving around:

Front bumper underneath -- I'm afraid to look. 1st day I scraped it by misjudging how low the car is.
Various scratches and nick on the bumper.
Rims - forget about it. Gotta be the softest rims on any car I've owned. Nicks and scratches on the interior of the rims and curb rash which occurred during the last rainstorm here. The streets turn into rivers and submerge the sidewalks and curbs. I misjudged while fording one of the mini Mississippi's.
Dog spittle stains - Got a dog hanging out the window? The spittle stains the clear coat.
Nav screen scratches - where in the hell did those come from?
Windshield - oh my.

Never mind the interior vibration/rattle I can't locate that is not loud enough to frustrate but loud enough to irritate.

And I've been careful.

Last edited by Glashub; 12-24-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-23-15, 05:04 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't think I have hardly any at all, considering. I have 22,000 miles.
I noticed one stock rim had a small chip the week before I got new rims. (My new rims already have a scratch or two)
I think I have a small rock chip on one of my rear doors and there is an etched area or two from bird poo.
I park so far from curbs when I pull in because I'm so paranoid that front end damage is never an issue. I do have a clear bra, though.
I do think there may be a couple of windshield dings.
I do have minor scratches near the radio and gear shift area, but, what are you gonna do?
Do you let the dealer clean your interior? Maybe that's where the navi scratches came from.
Old 12-23-15, 05:11 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

have had my bucket for about 9 months and just broke 11k miles on it. i was just cleaning up bird crap on my car and it was painful seeing how many rock chips i have on my bumper, front part of the quarter panels and front part of my roof just behind the windshield! don't know whether to take a deep breath about that or not, but that rock that chipped the paint could've saved me a hit on the windshield. my head lights and black pearl emblem is pitted nicely too. i have a nice scratch my trunk lid in which i don't know how it happened and a small scratch on my aft right bumper as well. as far as the interior, both my front matts are messed up. on the driver's matt, the is350 tag is coming off and on the shotgun matt, some smell good stuff leaked out and hardened up. the mode select **** has some scratches. other than that, it's like new...haha. i haven't had any rattling noises...knock on wood.
Old 12-23-15, 05:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Traded my IS in today. It was a '14 with 16,500 miles and not a scratch, chip, or scuff on it.
Old 12-23-15, 05:33 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

almost 2 years and only a couple of rock chips on the front bumper.
Old 12-23-15, 05:58 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I'm stunned. How is it I'm such a disaster? Are you looking closely? 16K and not a chip? Where do you live? I'm in LA. There is always stuff flying on freeways and when the Santa Ana's come? Forget about it. Also, the driveways are steep here. Oh well. The only person I can identify with is cp2!
Old 12-23-15, 06:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Just lucky I guess. I've never actually had a car that held up that well. Woot woot for me!
Old 12-23-15, 06:13 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I suspect it's more than luck. I think it's a talent or good karma.
Old 12-23-15, 06:39 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have had the car for a little over a year and I'm on the same road as you when it comes to under the bumper (funny thing is it didn't happen until recently). I have a small gash on the front that I will be using touch up paint on... but other then that, nothing else.
Old 12-23-15, 07:39 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far I've had my IS350 for 6 months and have about 7k km on it. Only a couple small stone chips on the front, but not scratches, dings, etc. Also the car has Ceramic Pro on it so it always looks nice and shiny.
Old 12-23-15, 08:52 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm in LA (SGV) as well, but i do about 90% city driving. I also avoid big trucks carrying *****
Old 12-23-15, 09:07 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by goldengame
So far I've had my IS350 for 6 months and have about 7k km on it. Only a couple small stone chips on the front, but not scratches, dings, etc. Also the car has Ceramic Pro on it so it always looks nice and shiny.
how is ceramic pro? which package did you go with and how did you find your authorized dealer? i have one 3IS coated with cquartz finest, although my other 3IS is just cared for with good old meguiar's waxes. they are both in similar condition, albeit the cquartz finest car is shinier.
Old 12-23-15, 09:15 PM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Let's see here, in 5 months' of ownership, I've had:

Several small rock chips along the front bumper underneath the grill (within 2 months), causing approximately ~$1500 worth of damages. This was before I got Xpel a month later.

Rear passenger Bridgestone tire exploding on me after exiting the highway (it was a nail) which chipped parts of the paint in the fender. (That was the 4th month.) Had to repaint the chipped areas and also replaced all 4 tires. Spent about $2K. I've never experienced such soft paint before on a car.

Otherwise, the interior and exterior is still in brand-new condition. At 7K mi.
Old 12-23-15, 09:30 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

aside from biting the curb one time and getting minor scrach under my front bumper that you can't notice, my car is still mint
Old 12-24-15, 04:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Traded my IS in today. It was a '14 with 16,500 miles and not a scratch, chip, or scuff on it.
Congrats on the GS (I assume, based on your sig?) Next is into a 4RX from the 3RX?

OP,

Mine is in near perfect shape. 16k miles. Interior very close to perfect with the exception of the odd minor squeak/rattle but I blame the drop and 19" wheels that has shaken things up a little.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-24-15 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: How much has your car deteriorated just owning/driving it?