IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How much has your car deteriorated just owning/driving it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 07:51 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@corradoMR2 - I'm not surprised. You and I were a couple of the 1st movers on the car and I knew from your posts you have a great deal of respect for not only people but your cars too.

The good news is that the car still looks fantastic and cool to me -- as long as I don't get too close to it. AND I had to buy new tires. The Michelins do something wonderful for the car. It's interesting -- could be an illusion -- but I'd swear they fill out the wheel well better -- along with offering up a superior driving experience over the OEM's.
Old 12-24-15, 08:23 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the oems are horrible. one of mine still has the oems and the other has hankooks and the one with hankooks drives so much better than the one with the oems still on it. and you're right, glashub, about x tire filling the wheel well better as the hankooks make everything come together much better than the oems.

i'll end my rant there and count my blessings that the one with the oems on still looks new and the one with the hankooks on it also still look pretty close to new with just a few rock chips here and there.
Old 12-24-15, 08:24 AM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm currently at 18xxx and not a scratch on my car. Clean as the 1st day I got it
Old 12-24-15, 09:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I have sings from road debris but I'm not obsessive. I think the little things add character to the car and this car is meant to be driven hard

I did get touch up paint for the really deep sings though. Don't want my baby rusting
Old 12-24-15, 11:14 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that EZZ - my car has character. Be careful with the touch up. Even by VIN it's not that great of a match but it does work well for nick on rims -- at least the gray does.

davijordi - the Hanooks are highly regarded and a really good value.
Old 12-24-15, 02:07 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

yeah, glashub, they really are! i wonder if there are tires that make the ride even smoother -- the ride on the oems is a bit too harsh for my tastes and while i know the car is a sport sedan, i really would like to make it as comfortable as possible. the hankooks are an improvement, but they still leave some comfort to be desired, although they came with the CPO car i just picked up, so i'll leave them as they are new. the one with the oems i bought new and they still have a ton of tread on them.

one car has 24k miles the other has 14k miles - the latter is impeccable but i just can't stand the damn tires.
Old 12-24-15, 05:59 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
how is ceramic pro? which package did you go with and how did you find your authorized dealer? i have one 3IS coated with cquartz finest, although my other 3IS is just cared for with good old meguiar's waxes. they are both in similar condition, albeit the cquartz finest car is shinier.
Ceramic Pro is great. It gives me peace of mind because light scratches (from bags and stuff) are removable. It also looks great pretty much all the time. I ended up with the highest package because I got a deal to include fixing scratches/blemishes, multiple Ceramic Pro coats, the wheels, windows, and paint protection film on the bumper and mirrors.

My friend recommended the shop to me. He found him through the Tesla forums; a lot of people on there trust him. If you're in Toronto, I highly recommend going there because their attention to detail is the best I've seen. The shop is called "Get Detailed".
Old 12-24-15, 07:12 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by goldengame
Ceramic Pro is great. It gives me peace of mind because light scratches (from bags and stuff) are removable. It also looks great pretty much all the time. I ended up with the highest package because I got a deal to include fixing scratches/blemishes, multiple Ceramic Pro coats, the wheels, windows, and paint protection film on the bumper and mirrors.

My friend recommended the shop to me. He found him through the Tesla forums; a lot of people on there trust him. If you're in Toronto, I highly recommend going there because their attention to detail is the best I've seen. The shop is called "Get Detailed".
thanks! i might go with cquartz finest again because that has been great on my other 3IS and because i'm familiar with the detailer who coated mine. i'm always looking for new technology, though, and so i'll have to do my research on ceramic pro. their website is a bit odd in that it doesn't give you a list of their affiliated detailers, but rather makes you provide them with information which they will later use to contact you and likely determine pricing.
Old 12-27-15, 05:01 AM
halfnyce07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obsidian Black and live in northeastern MA without a garage, so you can imagine the stuff i find..... Car gets waxed and buffed once for the winter, and twice during warm weather. I try my best out here lol. Also on the note with the tires, the OEMs lasted me to about 28k then replaced them with the Copper Tires DSW06, supposed to snow on Tuesday so we'll see how they do.
Old 12-29-15, 08:02 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock chips on the front bumper and believe it or not a huge one on the roof right about the glass. I just found out this evening my driver side tailight has a hairline crack on it. All part of daily driving
Old 12-30-15, 06:46 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Mine is just over a year old with 19k miles, and it looks almost like it did when I picked it up brand new. Thanks to the paint protection film, the only chips I have are tiny ones behind the rear tires (I should have covered that area too). I ran over a shred of tire on the highway one day (one of those blown tires from a tractor trailer) and it scuffed the bottom of the front bumper but we were able to clean it right off of the film.

Wheels are perfect, not a scratch on the car. Interior still looks perfect too (even carrying around two dogs), aside from a tiny scratch on the bottom of my steering wheel.
Old 01-01-16, 03:53 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car looks new inside and out after two years of ownership and 25,000 miles. Granted, its just me in the car most of the time, not kids, pets.
Old 01-01-16, 04:26 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

After 11 months of ownership and 22,000 miles, I have a few tiny rock chips on the front bumper and the drivers side rear door which are only visible upon close inspection. Other than that, the interior and exterior looks brand new. The paint is much softer than my previous car, a 2003 BMW 330i.
Old 02-21-16, 06:36 PM
Mndart
Driver School Candidate

Glashub: Regarding this "Nav screen scratches - where in the hell did those come from? "

My 2014 250 had some weird "streaks" that looked as though there was a some kind of protective peel-off plastic that was delaminating or had weird scratches in it. It was really strange looking, it only showed up when light hit at a certain angle. It wasn't anything as simple as a peel-off plastic cover that was never removed. It was the actual nav screen itself that was getting funky and developing streaks. IIRC, it was a layer of the screen that was delaminating. The dealership ended up replacing it under warranty.

I think I read some kind of warning in the Nav manual or the owners manual about not soaking down the screen when cleaning it. Since I am lazy and always bring my 250 to the dealer for a a wash and cleaning, I cannot say if that was the actual cause of this or not. If you are able to get the Nav screen replaced on warranty, keep this in mind as you clean the nav screen.

And yes!!!!! softest paint in the world, and yes, the coating on the rims is for ******t. I have spots flaking off.

Last edited by Mndart; 02-21-16 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-21-16, 08:00 PM
hotsaw11
Rookie

We had our 2013 IS350 3 years and only a couple stone chips out front. Everything else was tight and quiet.