So this happened! =\

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 11:43 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So this happened! =\

Really really bad day, guys! Still can't believe this happened

Today while coming back from work, I was approaching a roundabout with the intention of taking a U-turn. A car in front of me, on my left lane (you can only go left if you're in the left lane on a roundabout) took a sudden wrong right turn. I was close to having a head on collision with him. Luckily, I turned my car towards the right side avoiding him completely. But, couldn't regain the control of my car as it went in an understeer. Even though I turned the steering towards the left, the car just went straight hitting a huge curb and ended up in a sand pit.
The impact was pretty bad. I engine switched off itself and the car went airborne for a couple of seconds

The noticeable damage so far:
Right side rims broken.
Fender and rear bumper have dents.
The right front wheel is out of place although still steerable.
Boot and doors misaligned.
Roof has weird bumps around the sunroof even though nothing hit the roof during the crash.

The car will be repaired by Lexus UAE and was fully insured. But, from my experience such damages are never fixed permanently. Still I am hoping that it becomes as good as it was.
The worst part is that I was about to order full Aimgain bodykit this week before this happened
Old 12-16-15, 12:15 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're okay! Also, at least you didn't already purchase and install the Aimgain kit before this happened. Did the person you avoided stop to help you?
Old 12-16-15, 01:02 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

The bumps around the sunroof usually indicate that the car is twisted..

I don't think they'll be able to fix that..
Old 12-16-15, 01:14 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

no to sound like an @$$, but you're better off hoping that it's totaled. more important, I have the same question as chyeea03. did the idiot that caused the accident even have the integrity to stop and check on you?
Old 12-16-15, 04:15 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Glad you're okay first of all!

In California, if this happens. Your insurance will go up because you didn't make contact with him even though he is in the wrong. Even if he did admit fault.. Because there was no contact, his insurance company wouldn't pay you out either. Sad to say, it's better getting hit here than not, cause then now you will be 100% not at fault.
I hope your insurance companies are different where you're from.
Old 12-16-15, 04:23 PM
redraptor
Driver

Sorry to hear that man!! Hope nothing happened to you during this accident. I've been to the Middle East and there's a lot of roundabouts, which I are kinda tricky to me especially since we have almost none here in NY.

Sounds like a total loss from your description, which might be the best bet, if the chassis is bent, its never gonna be the same as it was prior to the accident.

Keep us updated on the outcome, hope everything goes smoothly.
Old 12-16-15, 05:30 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oh my..... what a nightmare thanks to an idiot, my guess that happened in Sharjah? glad you're okay man..
Old 12-16-15, 08:25 PM
waleedj3is
Driver

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Glad you're okay! Also, at least you didn't already purchase and install the Aimgain kit before this happened. Did the person you avoided stop to help you?
Thanks man! No, he did not stop at all. I just know it was a white Mitsu ASX. I don't remember seeing his number plates. So, the police can't help me out with that.

Originally Posted by brendanf
The bumps around the sunroof usually indicate that the car is twisted..

I don't think they'll be able to fix that..
Oh no! That sucks. It's really confusing if you see the car from the outside. As it looks fine but there are some signs of chassis damage

Originally Posted by cp2
no to sound like an @$$, but you're better off hoping that it's totaled. more important, I have the same question as chyeea03. did the idiot that caused the accident even have the integrity to stop and check on you?
He did not stop which was pretty shocking. As so many people stopped just to check on me but the person who caused it preferred running away. Unfortunately I didn't see his plates so Police can not trace him.
Originally Posted by janterry15
Glad you're okay first of all!

In California, if this happens. Your insurance will go up because you didn't make contact with him even though he is in the wrong. Even if he did admit fault.. Because there was no contact, his insurance company wouldn't pay you out either. Sad to say, it's better getting hit here than not, cause then now you will be 100% not at fault.
I hope your insurance companies are different where you're from.
It's the same here as well. I know people have been telling me the same thing but its just human instinct man! My first move was to save myself and the car. It was a pretty scary experience. As for the insurance, It'll def go up because of this incident. Hope the car gets fixed though.

Originally Posted by redraptor
Sorry to hear that man!! Hope nothing happened to you during this accident. I've been to the Middle East and there's a lot of roundabouts, which I are kinda tricky to me especially since we have almost none here in NY.

Sounds like a total loss from your description, which might be the best bet, if the chassis is bent, its never gonna be the same as it was prior to the accident.

Keep us updated on the outcome, hope everything goes smoothly.
Thanks man! I am completely fine. Yes, the roundabouts are pretty tricky but it's still manageable as long as people follow their lanes. If the car is totaled I might get a new one but if not they will try to fix it. But knowing insurance companies, they will put every effort to fix a car than to replace it. I just hope it gets completely fixed. As of now it's sitting outside the Lexus workshop. Today I will get the paperwork done and then find out how bad is the damage. I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
oh my..... what a nightmare thanks to an idiot, my guess that happened in Sharjah? glad you're okay man..
Thanks man. It happened near Academic city roundabout in Dubai. It really is a nightmare, gotta be really careful out here.
Old 12-16-15, 10:11 PM
waleedj3is
Driver

Old 12-16-15, 11:02 PM
ramlawih
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waleedj3is
Glad you are ok mate, when you give it to al futtaim, ask them to send you a copy of the report. they will have whats damaged in there. this report they send to the insurrance company for approval. but you can have a copy. if the chassis is damaged go for a total refund.

How much were you going at that roundabout for that ***** to happen!? Bad luck
Old 12-17-15, 05:32 AM
istech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a traffic camera near your incident took place?
If it does, maybe the cops can pull the images from the computer to trace that vehicle based from your description.
Old 12-17-15, 06:26 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Originally Posted by ramlawih
Glad you are ok mate, when you give it to al futtaim, ask them to send you a copy of the report. they will have whats damaged in there. this report they send to the insurrance company for approval. but you can have a copy. if the chassis is damaged go for a total refund.

How much were you going at that roundabout for that ***** to happen!? Bad luck
Thanks for helping out! The car is gone for evaluation today, I should get the evaluation report by this week. If it's chassis damage, will GAP insurance cover it?
Originally Posted by istech
Is there a traffic camera near your incident took place?
If it does, maybe the cops can pull the images from the computer to trace that vehicle based from your description.
Unfortunately, no. I tried checking with the police but they were unable to find any information. If only I had the number plate of that car. By the time my car came to dead stop, that person was already gone. I think he realized that it was his fault so he decided to run away.
Old 12-17-15, 07:08 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

The broken rim and the dented fender. The plastic piece that covers the wheel well came off completely.

This is the door gap that has appeared on the left side

Roof has dents around all 4 corners of the sunroof even though nothing hit the roof. I guess it was the impact.

right side
Old 12-17-15, 08:31 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that, hopefully they consider the car totaled, so you could get a new one. This driving is expected here in KSA, but it is shocking that you have people doing this in UAE !
Anyway the important thing is that you are safe, as the car can be replaced anytime. Additionally, I have philosophy about driving in this conditions always crash into the guy at fault than another guy when there is no possible way of avoiding the collision.
Old 12-17-15, 10:41 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The dents in the roof is caused by stress in the frame work. Chances are the car is totaled. Time to pick up a newer model!

Quick Reply: So this happened! =\