IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So this happened! =\

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 01:47 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlin89
The dents in the roof is caused by stress in the frame work. Chances are the car is totaled. Time to pick up a newer model!
This! I'm sorry that this happened, but the important thing is that you are okay.
Old 12-18-15, 09:53 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMNss
Sorry to hear that, hopefully they consider the car totaled, so you could get a new one. This driving is expected here in KSA, but it is shocking that you have people doing this in UAE !
Anyway the important thing is that you are safe, as the car can be replaced anytime. Additionally, I have philosophy about driving in this conditions always crash into the guy at fault than another guy when there is no possible way of avoiding the collision.
Yeah, I got out of the car without a scratch. Thank God! I hope that's the case, because people have been telling me by the looks of it, it looks like it wont get completely fixed. You are right about not avoiding the accident, its a lesson learned.

Originally Posted by Jlin89
The dents in the roof is caused by stress in the frame work. Chances are the car is totaled. Time to pick up a newer model!
Originally Posted by 3ISRC
This! I'm sorry that this happened, but the important thing is that you are okay.
I really hope that's the case. But, that depends on the insurance company. As of now, I'm waiting for their evaluation. Might take up to a week. Since the airbags didn't deploy, chances are very less that they will consider it totaled. My biggest fear right now is that if they try to fix it, it won't ever drive the way it did before this accident.
Old 12-18-15, 08:49 PM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How fast were you driving in the roundabout? What were the road conditions when this happened?

The reason why I asked is because, insurance companies will look at everything and take all of it into consideration... Hopefully it all works out for you in the end... Sucks to see a new Lexus go down like that.

The main thing here is that you got out of it with all your fingers and toes still attached, the car can either be fixed or replaced.
Old 12-19-15, 08:18 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Originally Posted by DaJoDJ
How fast were you driving in the roundabout? What were the road conditions when this happened?

The reason why I asked is because, insurance companies will look at everything and take all of it into consideration... Hopefully it all works out for you in the end... Sucks to see a new Lexus go down like that.

The main thing here is that you got out of it with all your fingers and toes still attached, the car can either be fixed or replaced.
I think I was going 80-100 kph. It's a three lane roundabout, so the speed didn't feel like it was too much. But, the road was covered with sand. Especially the sides were covered with thick layer of sand. That's the reason I lost control of my car and it skidded off the road.
Old 12-19-15, 08:29 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

#Update:

The good news is that the car has been given to Lexus workshop for insurance estimation. So the fixing process has started.

The terrible news is that when the police report was made, It was pretty dark and didn't include the roof dents. I tried a lot to explain the workshop guys how it appeared, but they did not seem to believe me and came up with excuses like "maybe something hit the roof while it was parked". I guess i'll have to live the roof dents for a while after it comes back.
I don't think they will be fixing the door misalignment, they are gonna make the car work by fixing the least amount of parts. Just to get it running. Guess that's how insurance works.
Old 12-19-15, 09:14 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd find another body shop to evaluate your car..

The very fact that the doors are mis-aligned and there are ripples in the roof indicate that the frame is twisted.. It is possible to straighten the frame but the car will never be the same again..

If they fix it, I'd trade it in or sell it and get a new one..
Old 12-19-15, 09:25 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waleedj3is
I don't think they will be fixing the door misalignment, they are gonna make the car work by fixing the least amount of parts. Just to get it running. Guess that's how insurance works.
Maybe in the Emirates it works that way, but not in the U.S. If the insurance company won't pay to restore the car to its condition prior the the accident then perhaps you need a lawyer to represent your interests. Do they have lawyers in the UAE?
Old 12-19-15, 12:45 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#Update:

The good news is that the car has been given to Lexus workshop for insurance estimation. So the fixing process has started.

The terrible news is that when the police report was made, It was pretty dark and didn't include the roof dents. I tried a lot to explain the workshop guys how it appeared, but they did not seem to believe me and came up with excuses like "maybe something hit the roof while it was parked". I guess i'll have to live the roof dents for a while after it comes back.
I advice you escalate the issue and resist their propsal, these companies always try to get the easy route out, but when they see you confident and firm you can change their proposal. File a report on them in the authorized gov. agency. Now you will end up paying for the increased insurance rate and you still have to fix the roof of your car.
Old 12-19-15, 09:59 PM
waleedj3is
Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf
I'd find another body shop to evaluate your car..

The very fact that the doors are mis-aligned and there are ripples in the roof indicate that the frame is twisted.. It is possible to straighten the frame but the car will never be the same again..

If they fix it, I'd trade it in or sell it and get a new one..
Exactly! It's pretty obvious that there is some chassis damage. I was looking at it yesterday, even the boot doesn't line up straight. I am thinking of taking another mechanic from any reputable workshop and let him explain the damage to Lexus workshop. Hope that works out.

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
Maybe in the Emirates it works that way, but not in the U.S. If the insurance company won't pay to restore the car to its condition prior the the accident then perhaps you need a lawyer to represent your interests. Do they have lawyers in the UAE?
They do. But, getting a new car would be a cheaper option than hiring a lawyer. The insurance company is just trying to find the cheapest way out.

Originally Posted by AMNss
I advice you escalate the issue and resist their propsal, these companies always try to get the easy route out, but when they see you confident and firm you can change their proposal. File a report on them in the authorized gov. agency. Now you will end up paying for the increased insurance rate and you still have to fix the roof of your car.
Thanks for the advice AMNss. I will definitely do that. Till now I wasn't very sure of the chassis damage. But, everyone here on the forums is suggesting that the chassis is damaged. But it doesn't make sense, getting a car back that's not even completely fixed. Value has already gone down and i'll just have to pay more.

Thanks again guys for all the help.
Old 12-26-15, 03:08 AM
maneck35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly! It's pretty obvious that there is some chassis damage. I was looking at it yesterday, even the boot doesn't line up straight. I am thinking of taking another mechanic from any reputable workshop and let him explain the damage to Lexus workshop. Hope that works out.

They do. But, getting a new car would be a cheaper option than hiring a lawyer. The insurance company is just trying to find the cheapest way out.

Thanks for the advice AMNss. I will definitely do that. Till now I wasn't very sure of the chassis damage. But, everyone here on the forums is suggesting that the chassis is damaged. But it doesn't make sense, getting a car back that's not even completely fixed. Value has already gone down and i'll just have to pay more.

Thanks again guys for all the help.
This is extremely sad to read. I have the same car and live in DSO and know how bad people are at the roundabouts.

You should seriously consider getting a dashcam now. I think I'm also going to get one soon. Keep us updated.
Old 01-01-16, 01:55 PM
waleedj3is
Driver

Originally Posted by maneck35
This is extremely sad to read. I have the same car and live in DSO and know how bad people are at the roundabouts.

You should seriously consider getting a dashcam now. I think I'm also going to get one soon. Keep us updated.
I agree. Definitely getting one this time. Some people here just drive way too recklessly. Just yesterday I went for a walk with my friend and this happened right in front of me. It was a CLS55 AMG that flipped over. The guy was racing his friend on a public road. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Will update everyone about the car soon as I get some info from the insurance company.