IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 IS 250 Rear ended while parked

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 10:07 AM
GKern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2015 IS 250 Rear ended while parked

Hi, all! This is my first post here, and unfortunately, it is not for a good reason. Last night my car was parked on the street, and someone going at least 40mph rear ended my IS 250 (picked up with 15 miles on it this past August) and immediately fled the scene. The entire thing was caught on video, but unfortunately there is no clear picture of the plate (any means of IDing the car).

I had Geico tow the car to a local / well-known body shop where the adjuster is going to look at the car tomorrow and let me know exactly what the damage is. While my car was only several months old, i had already put 8,000 miles on it. Car was clearly in pristine condition before the hit and run.

My question is what everyone's input would be regarding the insurance claim. The pic attached was taken upon my discovery of my car when i woke up. Any input regarding a ballpark of the total damages / if there is a chance that Geico would consider the car a total loss?

Additional info: rear driver-side door does not open, and the car was pushed approximately 10 feet from where it was originally parked.

Again, any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! (:
Attached Thumbnails 2015 IS 250 Rear ended while parked-image1.jpg  
Old 12-13-15, 10:38 AM
MiKeLoBe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, hopefully it's a total loss. I think for it to be consider a total loss, the cost to repair it would have to be at least 70-75% of the car's value.
Old 12-13-15, 11:15 AM
yunito12
Rookie

looks like total loss for me
Old 12-13-15, 02:37 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts
Its fixable. About 10k worth of damage at least.

They'll fix it.

I'd talk to the adjuster and try and convince them to write it off but I doubt they'll go for it.
Old 12-13-15, 07:07 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

wow thats absolutely horrible. I'm sorry to see that. what part of ny you in btw? just curious ill be extra cautious now when around there haha. (yes i know this can happen anywhere)

-anyway i also recently had a hit and run and have geico. i must say geicos service is phenomenal. what you do is choose a body shop of your choice let geico know and they send an adjuster there or take it to a geico certified shop. and they'll look at it there. from then on its easy, the adjuster cuts you the check body shop fixes the car and thats that
Old 12-14-15, 12:30 AM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, that sucks bro. I don't think you should even bother wasting money fixing it. I mean it's probably a "totaled car" now. It's probably gonna cost you more to fix than what's it's going to be worth. Wouldn't this car be defined as a salvage title?
Old 12-14-15, 02:28 AM
Taideee
Rookie

eh prob not total loss. If only bumper and trunk and rear fender maybe like 7k, if wheels/axel are dmged etc maybe 15 k

Pray to God that your insurance will be cool and consider a total loss
Old 12-14-15, 05:41 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

It depends a lot on if there is frame damage whether or not it will be totaled. When my tC was totaled, it didn't look nearly as bad from the outside as it did once the body shop guy started really looking into it. Did you call the police and get a police report of the hit and run? I would have done that before getting it towed. It's always good to have the police report to provide to your insurance. Sorry this happened, huge bummer
Old 12-14-15, 06:56 AM
istech
Driver School Candidate

This is sad.
If you have a good history with your insurance or the body shop, they might help you to write it as a total loss.
Old 12-15-15, 12:06 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LINSTEFAN
Damn, that sucks bro. I don't think you should even bother wasting money fixing it. I mean it's probably a "totaled car" now. It's probably gonna cost you more to fix than what's it's going to be worth. Wouldn't this car be defined as a salvage title?
That's probably 10-14K in damage as a guess by a non-industry guy. Unfortunately, it's up to the insurer and not the owner when it comes to deciding whether to fix it. The threshold used to be if the damage exceeds 50% of the resale value, they total it. If it's under 50%, they fix it. If it is fixed, it will not have a salvaged title. Those titles are for cars that were written off as total losses and not repaired by the insurer.
Old 12-15-15, 03:46 AM
GKern
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks & Claim Process

Thanks to everyone for their input!

This happened outside a friends house in Glen Cove, New York (Long Island). & yes, i called 911 immediately upon discovery of the damage, and a police report has been filed.

But I am having a nightmare with Geico. Apparently the body shop my car was towed to closed before my car got there (which shouldn't have been the case since my car was picked up at 9 am and the shop didn't close until 2pm....). My adjuster, who works out of the body shop wasn't even aware that my car was scheduled for an appointment yesterday morning or that it was coming in at all. I checked my Enform app to see where my cars last location was....it was sitting in an open parking lot in Flushing, Queens....about two hours away from my house/ body shop. The adjuster still doesn't know where my car is -- i didn't let him know i knew via the Enform App, i wanted to see what he would tell me, but all he was able to say was that he hoped my car would get to the shop today (Tuesday, now 3 full days after my initial claim report with geico/ since the incident occurred). Now, I am normally a very understanding individual -- but this is unacceptable in my opinion. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is this situation just an outlier?

Sorry about the rant, just needed to vent i suppose. Wish me luck, Im supposed to be hearing from the adjuster today. But if anyone can give me any advice on how to handle the adjuster that would be greatly appreciated. This is the first car i've ever owned and maintained on my own, so i am very new to this entire process. This community has been great thus far -- thanks so much for the input!

Last edited by GKern; 12-15-15 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-15-15, 05:50 AM
istech
Driver School Candidate

If you had add-on such as accessories, cat, or exhaust, then perhaps show the adjuster the invoice.
Then he can add those loss to the car value.
Old 12-15-15, 06:17 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GKern
Thanks to everyone for their input!

This happened outside a friends house in Glen Cove, New York (Long Island). & yes, i called 911 immediately upon discovery of the damage, and a police report has been filed.

But I am having a nightmare with Geico. Apparently the body shop my car was towed to closed before my car got there (which shouldn't have been the case since my car was picked up at 9 am and the shop didn't close until 2pm....). My adjuster, who works out of the body shop wasn't even aware that my car was scheduled for an appointment yesterday morning or that it was coming in at all. I checked my Enform app to see where my cars last location was....it was sitting in an open parking lot in Flushing, Queens....about two hours away from my house/ body shop. The adjuster still doesn't know where my car is -- i didn't let him know i knew via the Enform App, i wanted to see what he would tell me, but all he was able to say was that he hoped my car would get to the shop today (Tuesday, now 3 full days after my initial claim report with geico/ since the incident occurred). Now, I am normally a very understanding individual -- but this is unacceptable in my opinion. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is this situation just an outlier?

Sorry about the rant, just needed to vent i suppose. Wish me luck, Im supposed to be hearing from the adjuster today. But if anyone can give me any advice on how to handle the adjuster that would be greatly appreciated. This is the first car i've ever owned and maintained on my own, so i am very new to this entire process. This community has been great thus far -- thanks so much for the input!
Keep your cool. Stay calm and polite. Geico is my insurer and I had my trunk repaired a few months back. It was painless and the repair shop did a great job. Try to remember that Geico is made up of people with damages, hopes, dreams and fears just like you and that those people are doing the best they can. Sometimes things get screwed up and don't go the way we want but in the end I'll bet it all turns out okay .
Old 12-15-15, 07:42 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

the damages i see:

rear left quarter panel is destroyed, it's not a fender like another here have suggested, and is not easily replaceable, lots of fab is req to set that back to spec

trunk, lights, bumper cover, bumper support, exhaust all need to be replaced

a hit like that probably caused some frame damage, (try to open that driver side passenger door)

cant tell if it hit the rear axle, but if it did, the whole assembly would need to be replaced.

my guess... it's totaled
Old 12-15-15, 05:19 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

OMG! So sorry man! I got my car back on October 31st after a collision. I went through hell with my insurance company (Travelers) and I'm still going back and forth with them regarding the diminished value claim! I don't know if it's going to be totaled or not. For those saying the damage is around 10k, my car's damage (passenger's side front & rear door, quarter panel, headlight, one wheel, labor, etc.) was $12,xxx and change!! I'm assuming your damages here will cost more $$$.

Hope you can get it fixed soon

Quick Reply: 2015 IS 250 Rear ended while parked