IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

20k miles service cost; oil change @ dealership vs. local auto shops

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 11:07 AM
GiN4tHeWiN
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 20k miles service cost; oil change @ dealership vs. local auto shops

Hi guys, just wondering what the 20k miles service maintenance will cost at the dealership?

I'm bringing my 2015 IS350 in, mainly because I need to get the oil changed, but I noticed they don't put the pricing up on the website when scheduling the appointment, but they allow you to choose what services to "add to cart".. Just wanted to make sure it's nothing too ridiculous compared to if I have it done at a local auto shop?

What do you guys typically do? It's an IS so I figure it's better to have it done at the dealership vs any ole oil change place.. or is it pretty much all the same?
Old 12-03-15, 11:11 AM
kneemahp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the biggest thing at 20k is the oil change. everything else is just topping off fluids and visual inspections.

i actually did the oil change at the dealer because it was slightly cheaper than anywhere local. might as well get some free snacks and a car wash.
Old 12-03-15, 11:25 AM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figure out what needs to be done, motor oil, topping fluids, changing cabin filter, etc, at 20k service.

I recommend to get a quote at a dealership, then get a quote at a trusted quality shop. Dealership will more than likely charge you more. Whoever you go to, make sure they use full synthetic, nothing else.

20k miles maintenance is actually easy to do, most time consuming will probably be oil change.

But remember, just figure out what needs to be done(should say in the manual) and if you want to learn something and save costs, do it yourself.

I don't think a visual inspection at 20k is necessary unless you notice irregularities.
Old 12-03-15, 12:57 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

the dealer actually gave me a reasonable price for the 20K oil change. I got a loaner and they updated the firmware on my nav.
Old 12-03-15, 02:01 PM
itsjdmyo
Rookie

I am also nearing 20k miles (currently at 18k) and will most likely just do an oil change the dealership. I've read the specific details in the owners manual surrounding a full 20k service and can do all the visual inspections myself.

I believe there is a DIY oil change for our generations, so might be worth doing if you wanna save some extra $$$ also!
Old 12-03-15, 02:05 PM
GiN4tHeWiN
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

ok, thanks for the info guys.. anyone know what the actual amount (cost) is for the 20k service? so that i have an idea of what's reasonable and what's not?
Old 12-03-15, 05:08 PM
atomiclex
Driver

speaking of 20k mile service mine is at 17k right now and I noticed the screen for the speakers by the rear windshield, behind the seats; one corner seems lifted and not seated compared to the other one. does anybody have the same?
Old 12-03-15, 06:03 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GiN4tHeWiN
ok, thanks for the info guys.. anyone know what the actual amount (cost) is for the 20k service? so that i have an idea of what's reasonable and what's not?
Surely they would give you the cost with one phone call?
Old 12-04-15, 09:34 AM
istasy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GiN4tHeWiN
Hi guys, just wondering what the 20k miles service maintenance will cost at the dealership?

I'm bringing my 2015 IS350 in, mainly because I need to get the oil changed, but I noticed they don't put the pricing up on the website when scheduling the appointment, but they allow you to choose what services to "add to cart".. Just wanted to make sure it's nothing too ridiculous compared to if I have it done at a local auto shop?

What do you guys typically do? It's an IS so I figure it's better to have it done at the dealership vs any ole oil change place.. or is it pretty much all the same?

Just had my 20k service done. Quite a rip off at $160 plus $15 shop fee..

And they used bulk Valvoline oil. LOL!
Old 12-04-15, 10:37 AM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Walmart sells mobil1 and a few other top oil brands for a good price. U can get 7 qrts for around $40-$50. Buy an oem filter from dealer for $5. Raise car up and loosen bolt, drain oil, plug in bolt. Remove old filter, replace with new. Fill oil up. Wah laa. 20k service for $60 or less and thats with full synthetic. Haha
Old 12-04-15, 01:32 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by istasy
Just had my 20k service done. Quite a rip off at $160 plus $15 shop fee..

And they used bulk Valvoline oil. LOL!
that's as much as a Mercedes. you could probably do it at the Toyota dealership for cheaper.
Old 12-04-15, 08:10 PM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My local toyota dealership charges 56$ for an oil change, full synthetic obviously.
Old 12-05-15, 12:18 PM
Brokenis
Driver

I got quoted 10 bucks for oem filter at dealership. Anyone know the cheapest place so I can buy bulk
Old 12-05-15, 12:25 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brokenis
I got quoted 10 bucks for oem filter at dealership. Anyone know the cheapest place so I can buy bulk
Buy it from Toyota, I paid 5.36 for my oil fiter
Old 12-05-15, 12:30 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

I went to a local shop, bought parts (ie: oil, cabin, and air filters). I paid a local shop $260 ($110 for parts and $150 for a Lexus specified 20k check and Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil) and was done in 45 minutes. I swapped out the regular air filter for a K&N, the rest were Toyota parts. I'll probably go to that shop for my next service. However, I'll switch to Royal Purple from Mobil 1

Last edited by theoryguy; 12-05-15 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 20k miles service cost; oil change @ dealership vs. local auto shops