IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cross Traffic Monitoring system but NO parking sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 12:10 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Traffic Monitoring system but NO parking sensors?

This makes no sense to me, how is it possible that the 350 F-Sport can track cars that are possibly coming at you while you're backing up, but it can't alert you to when you're getting close to a wall or other car that is stationary (aka parking senors).. I hope I'm a newb and am totally wrong about this... although I did back into a space yesterday and got no beeps as the car got closer to the other cars in the camera.

Another thing is having radar assist cruise control and no front parking assist... what's up with this craziness? The systems are actually installed in the car, but not able to beep at you?!
Old 11-28-15, 12:50 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The radar cruise sensor is behind the L logo in the grill and the rear cross traffic sensors use the blind spot monitoring sensors. The proximity sensors apparently are optional on the IS, but I'm not sure about that.

Edit: or maybe you don't have it on. The button is on the lower dash (the one with a P).

Last edited by yardie876; 11-28-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 12:57 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
The systems are actually installed in the car, but not able to beep at you?!
Nope, they are three (Radar Cruise, BSM, Parking Assist) different systems with three different sets of sensors. If you didn't buy the parking assist feature then the eight (4 front, 4 rear) ultrasonic sensors are not installed in the front / rear bumpers.

Last edited by LeapFrog; 11-28-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 04:11 PM
lexusplz
Driver

wtf. My dealer said 2016 Lexus IS doesn't have an option for parking assist sensors
Old 11-29-15, 04:29 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexusplz
wtf. My dealer said 2016 Lexus IS doesn't have an option for parking assist sensors
The Fsport doesn't, that's for sure.

Seems so silly to have a top of the line model without them. Oh well.
Old 11-29-15, 05:57 PM
Taideee
Rookie

IMO I am kind of glad there is no parking sensors... its not needed and quite obnoxious

I believe the ES has the parking sensors you are looking for?
Old 11-29-15, 06:20 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the feature (park assist) is only available as an option on non-f-sport models within the luxury package with a few more perks, e.g., heated and ventilated seats, memory seats/steering wheel position/reverse side mirror adjustment, telescoping steering wheel, leather seats, wood console and door inserts, illuminated scuff plates, etc., in addition to blind spot monitoring.

i have a non-f-sport model with the luxury package just because i wanted these features. i wanted the f-sport grill, but i couldn't do without the luxury package's features. ::sigh::
Old 11-29-15, 07:12 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Taideee
IMO I am kind of glad there is no parking sensors... its not needed and quite obnoxious

I believe the ES has the parking sensors you are looking for?
"not needed" is very much an opinion, that can be said for a lot of things on a car.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to have Cross Traffic monitoring, pre collision and radar cruise control, why the heck leave off some simple parking sensors (and make it so the US Fsport CANT have them).. at least put them in the rear!
Old 11-29-15, 07:33 PM
Taideee
Rookie

"not needed" is very much an opinion, that can be said for a lot of things on a car.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to have Cross Traffic monitoring, pre collision and radar cruise control, why the heck leave off some simple parking sensors (and make it so the US Fsport CANT have them).. at least put them in the rear!
I guess if you are used to using them, they can be a necessity. I'm used to putting my hand on the passenger seat and looking behind... I don't use the rear cam :/

But I guess it makes sense that they offer on the luxury IS but not the Fsport. I can see where you are coming from.
Old 11-29-15, 07:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The F-Sport is the performance package for the IS so the parking sensors would just add unneeded weight. That is why they also omitted real leather, memory seats, and an HUD system all in the name of weight savings.
Old 11-29-15, 07:43 PM
Taideee
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
The F-Sport is the performance package for the IS so the parking sensors would just add unneeded weight. That is why they also omitted real leather, memory seats, and an HUD system all in the name of weight savings.
memory seats would be nice... but not needed either :O
Old 11-30-15, 10:32 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cross traffic system is part of the blind spot monitoring system. Those coupled with the rear camera and moving grid lines should be more than enough for almost anyone. Park Assist on top of all of that would definitely be overkill.
Old 11-30-15, 10:44 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the rear parking sensors along with camera, and it is an improvement but not a necessity in my opinion. However the front parking sensors is very useful to me even more than a front camera!
Old 11-30-15, 11:45 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMNss
I have the rear parking sensors along with camera, and it is an improvement but not a necessity in my opinion. However the front parking sensors is very useful to me even more than a front camera!
Yup, hard to park the car when it's hard to see the front of the hood!
Old 11-30-15, 02:34 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

A friend of mine has a new Pathfinder and that thing has around view cameras (first time I've been in a vehicle with this option) and it was awesome. I definitely wish I had that feature for normal parking. After two years of ownership, I still park too far from parking blocks when pulling into a parking space.

Quick Reply: Cross Traffic Monitoring system but NO parking sensors?