IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cross Traffic Monitoring system but NO parking sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 02:55 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Taideee
I guess if you are used to using them, they can be a necessity. I'm used to putting my hand on the passenger seat and looking behind... I don't use the rear cam :/

But I guess it makes sense that they offer on the luxury IS but not the Fsport. I can see where you are coming from.

will agree with you to a point. I was taught to turn my *** around when backing up as well so the camera to me is pointless.

but I have had the sensors on my last 4 vehicles and they are very useful; especially with the high *** design of today's vehicles.

while turning yourself around to back up allows you to see what is behind you, it doesn't allow you to see what is beneath your trunk line, directly behind the car. if you aren't looking at the camera and a kid or an animal is directly behind your car, you can't see it looking out the rear window, especially if they are on the driver's side hidden by the "C" pillar, but the sensors can and will alert you.

far too often I have had some stupid *** walk behind my vehicle as I was backing up because they aren't bright enough to realize there is a moving vehicle in front of them and if they are; they have the entitlement mind that they have the right of way regardless of whether or not I can see them and don't care if they get run over.

Just this morning backing out of my driveway someone came walking around my 4runner which was parked on the street in front of my house at the edge of my driveway, I was coming out of the driveway looking out my back window but they were in the blind spot on the drivers side "C" pillar behind the truck and they never stopped, just kept walking and if not for the sensors I would have backed right over his stupid *** as he was face down in his phone with ear buds in, completely unaware that I nearly ran his *** over, never even saw me..

and there was not an expectation from me to think someone would be there, I live on a dead end street second house from the end, this guy was not the neighbor, he was not someone that lived on the street and I have no clue where he came from, but there he was strolling down the street clueless.
Old 12-01-15, 05:19 PM
alvitdk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the camera is a great feature, I also always turn around, but the camera has a bigger viewing angle and can actually see left and right way before I can, when moving backwards out of a parking space with cars to the left and right. Especially in Texas with 80% big trucks!
Old 12-01-15, 05:25 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alvitdk
Actually the camera is a great feature, I also always turn around, but the camera has a bigger viewing angle and can actually see left and right way before I can, when moving backwards out of a parking space with cars to the left and right. Especially in Texas with 80% big trucks!
I've only owned this car for a few days, the rear camera is freaking awesome! I don't turn around at all.. check the mirrors, then go full on camera... LOVE IT! and love the car!!
Old 12-01-15, 09:16 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
The F-Sport is the performance package for the IS so the parking sensors would just add unneeded weight. That is why they also omitted real leather, memory seats, and an HUD system all in the name of weight savings.
^ LOL !!! nice
Old 12-02-15, 01:32 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Yup, hard to park the car when it's hard to see the front of the hood!
To be honest mostly the front right side is critical for me because I park my car in the garage on the right side near the wall beside our other car.