IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 Pre-collision system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 01:25 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I've actually tried this, and all the car does is make loud *** beeps.

The instrument cluster will flash "BRAKE" in red. Other than that, I didn't really feel the car stop on its own.. maybe cuz I had my foot on the brakes.
Old 05-03-16, 04:18 PM
Debbie123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to test the pcs breaking in my 2016 rx 350. Everything was turned on and I piled up some boxes and my car went right into it. However, when I'm in cruise control the car slows and stops on its own when needed. When I take off the speed set but leave he cruise control on, it states in my window RADAR READY. I believe the car needs to have this showing to work. I will pile up boxes again and see. But odd because that means you would have to turn it on separately everytime you turn on the car.

How about my mothers parked car that I've gotten up to 15 mph (like in the videos above) and waited till the last second to hit the brakes...and nothing happens. I know it sounds stupid to mess around like this but I want to make SURE the system works because this was one thing that attracted me to the car. people generally drive like idiots around here and I'd like the car watching out for me.

I have felt no seatbelt tightening, no brake alert and for sure no brakes being pushed.

I see people complaining about it being too aggressive, either they drive like crazy people or my pcs isn't working like it should be because I can't get it to even warn me, forget about actually hitting the brakes!

Edit: I'm breaking out the owners manual now..[/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-16, 11:22 AM
avanchieri
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 pre-collision system

My PCS will actually stop my car, if I have engaged the dynamic cruise control. I was using DCC when someone cut in front of me, and stopped suddenly. My DCC stopped my car about 10 feet from the vehicle in front of me. I have NEVER tried to stop my car with PCS alone (DCC not engaged).
Old 09-05-16, 11:32 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS450h or ??

Originally Posted by avanchieri
My PCS will actually stop my car, if I have engaged the dynamic cruise control. I was using DCC when someone cut in front of me, and stopped suddenly. My DCC stopped my car about 10 feet from the vehicle in front of me. I have NEVER tried to stop my car with PCS alone (DCC not engaged).
GS450h or 3IS?
Old 09-05-16, 11:39 AM
avanchieri
Driver School Candidate

GS450h...although not a 3IS, the PCS/DCC systems are the same.
Old 09-05-16, 12:00 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Methinks they are Not Exactly the Same

I'm pretty sure the 2015 GS450h had a slightly different version of PCS/DCC, specifically a Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Driver’s Eyes Monitor and All-speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. I don't know if that would make a difference in terms of bringing the vehicle to a "full stop" or not.

Toyota's TIS says this about the 2015 3IS pre-collision system:

OUTLINE
(a) The pre-collision system detects the possible collision of the vehicle with an obstacle, such as a vehicle ahead, based on information
received from various sensors. The pre-collision system lessens the damage sustained in a collision by operating in unison with other
systems. As part of this, the systems that dampen the impact of a collision, such as the brake control system, are operated.
(b) This system uses a millimeter wave radar sensor assembly to detect a possible collision with a vehicle or obstacle in front. It performs
brake assist control and brake control.
(c) Due to the achievement of significant deceleration performance of the pre-collision brake and pre-collision brake assist, a collision may
be avoided altogether or collision damage can be reduced. Maximum vehicle deceleration is approximately 30 km/h (19 mph)* for
pre-collision brake and approximately 60 km/h* (37 mph)* for pre-collision brake assist.
*: It may be possible that sufficient deceleration performance cannot be obtained due to factors such as road and weather conditions.

If the driving support ECU assembly determines an unavoidable collision, the ECU sends the pre-collision brake request signal to the
skid control ECU. The skid control ECU then activates the brake actuator assembly as a pre-collision brake control and decelerates the
vehicle. Thus, the system helps to lessen the impact of a collision.
Old 09-05-16, 01:23 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The milliwave radar is the same, however I don't think the DCC in the 3IS is all-speed (it certainly isn't in Canada). Maybe that has something to with the ability of the system to bring the vehicle to a complete stop?