IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Honda dealership is cheating me with Lexus. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 09:39 PM
cool1boy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda dealership is cheating me with Lexus. Help!

TL;DR:
Bought Lexus from Honda dealership with ad that says includes remote starter on second keys currently at a different dealer. I buy the car (haven't picked it up yet), contract signed, and pay the deposit. Contract clearly states that deal is contingent on including second keys + remote starter to be couriered from other dealership. Turns out, car doesn't have remote starter and Honda is lowballing me with paying $150. Meeting sales manager tomorrow. What should I do?

Long version:
I recently bought a used, 2014 Lexus IS 350 from a Honda dealership.

I came across the car through AutoTrader and the description in the ad stated that the car is equipped with a remote starter. So I go to the Honda dealer to check out the car, and they say that one set of keys that has the remote starter is at a different dealership that's owned by the same group and they should have it sent in within a few days. I like the car, so I buy it. I'll pick up the Lexus in two days but everything is signed and I've already paid my deposit. The deal is all contingent on Honda getting the second set of keys + remote starter. This was all written in contract and signed by me and the sales guy.

I call the next day (two days ago) to ensure that they will get the keys + remote starter and the same sales guy says: "Yes, you'll get it. Not a problem." Then today the sales guy calls me and says that apparently there's been some confusion internally and the car doesn't have a remote starter. Obviously I was pissed because the entire deal was contingent on the second keys + remote starter.
The sales guy offered to pay me 50% of the remote starter + installation of the basic car starter that the Lexus dealership will install. The basic one is $300 (Canadian) but from what I understand, the standard remote starter Lexus sells is one level higher that's $850 which has a higher range.

I have a meeting with the Honda used car manager because I'm pissed. I'm not walking out until they either pay me the $850 or they install the starter for me. I don't want 50% of $300. What are you thoughts here? I'm fairly certain that Honda can't just pay me 50% because we have it all on contract. They offered to refund me my deposit but I don't want that, I want the car. Doesn't a contract mean anything these days?
Old 11-23-15, 10:04 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

drive the he ll out of the car tomorrow and return it. you, yourself, said that the sale is contingent on the remote start
Old 11-23-15, 11:16 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Take ur money and find the car elsewhere. They prob will wont want to lose ur business so they'll give in.
Old 11-23-15, 11:25 PM
CrazyDave
Driver School Candidate

Hey bud, I work for a Lexus Dealership and I will tell you right now, that car is not legally yours yet. Either have them, in writing, state that they will install the engine start or unwind the contract. You are not an owner yet. If they don't do it and try to say you are a legal owner and they cant do it then pm me and I will get you in touch with a guy who will make them unwind it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-24-15, 03:25 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

They haven't completed their obligations under the contract. Return the car to them and if they won't install the starter at their expense (which I bet they will) then let them keep it.

And see if you can buy this F-Sport (a Florida car, no winters!) from a private seller, probably for close to the same price as the dealer's car:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ld-i-sell.html
Old 11-24-15, 05:24 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

or ask them to pay for life time Lexus Enform subscription.
Old 11-24-15, 06:30 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Won't work on 2014 models

Originally Posted by Baopee
or ask them to pay for life time Lexus Enform subscription.
No factory (Enform) remote start until 2015.
Old 11-24-15, 07:13 AM
cool1boy1
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys know which one the standard remote starter that Lexus provides? Is it the one that's $850 Canadian or is it the one that's $350?

Also, assuming Honda caves in, should I accept $850 and install the remote starter myself (perhaps through lexus or even aftermarket) or should I get them to install it through Lexus?

I'm just wondering what the quality of the remote starters from Lexus is.
Old 11-24-15, 07:44 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyDave
Hey bud, I work for a Lexus Dealership and I will tell you right now, that car is not legally yours yet. Either have them, in writing, state that they will install the engine start or unwind the contract. You are not an owner yet. If they don't do it and try to say you are a legal owner and they cant do it then pm me and I will get you in touch with a guy who will make them unwind it in a heartbeat.
if i could upvote you, i would
Old 11-24-15, 01:21 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Well I guess you need to ask yourself,

'Do I really need a need or want a remote starter?'

Yes - Then goto Lexus and get a quote from a service manager about how much it costs to install a proper remote starter BY Lexus and tell them this is how much you want so you can get it done.

No - Then goto Lexus and get the same quote, and tell Honda you want this much money from them because that is what the remote starter is worth, and then use the money to mod your car.

Either way, a deal is a deal and it is in the contract. They should just suck it up. God knows dealers make huge money on used cars, they just won't make as much on this deal as they hoped and it serves them right.. Especially after they insisted the remote start key fob's were at another dealer..
Old 11-24-15, 01:41 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

it really sounds like a bait and switch. just drop off the car, they don't deserve your business.
Old 11-24-15, 07:40 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell them you consulted your attorney and all he said was "Ka-ching".
Old 11-25-15, 12:00 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't buy a Lexus from a Honda dealer and expect them to know what they are talking about or be able to accurately promise anything. If I were you I would cancel the deal and find a 2015 that comes w/ the Enform app. Although that in itself is about $300+ bucks a year if your free year is already up (which starts from the day the car is originally purchased).
Old 11-25-15, 12:10 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Originally Posted by nixx621
Don't buy a Lexus from a Honda dealer and expect them to know what they are talking about or be able to accurately promise anything. If I were you I would cancel the deal and find a 2015 that comes w/ the Enform app. Although that in itself is about $300+ bucks a year if your free year is already up (which starts from the day the car is originally purchased).
What do you like about the enform app? Software will get old and may not even receive updates once newer cars comes out. Even enform app now is like beta version, just lackluster. Better off using that money on the best phone money can buy and mirror linking.
Old 11-25-15, 02:09 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenis
What do you like about the enform app? Software will get old and may not even receive updates once newer cars comes out. Even enform app now is like beta version, just lackluster. Better off using that money on the best phone money can buy and mirror linking.
I don't like it, which is why I didn't pay to renew it. But it comes w/ the remote start feature that the OP is looking for without all the nonsense of an aftermarket system.

Quick Reply: Honda dealership is cheating me with Lexus. Help!