IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thinking of upgrading my 2007 is250 to a 2016 is350 - what are the problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 07:43 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of upgrading my 2007 is250 to a 2016 is350 - what are the problems ?

Have loved my 250 for a long time... it's a 2007 with just about 96,000 miles on it and it's been mostly trouble free (aside from having the short block replaced under warranty)...

What are the problems with this 350 model?

One thing I would have liked to have known before buying the 250 awd that I have is that it has a vibration at stop lights due to the AWD.. I really DO NOT want that in this new car..

some kinds of things I'm talking about that I've experienced on my car, that I'm wondering about on the 2016 350:

- rear window creaking when its in the hot sun
- drivers side seat makes noise where it meets the floor
- air conditioned seats aren't really air conditioned air.
- have to have a ground loop isolater in the center console because lexus didn't install one and wouldn't out of warranty (for free I mean).
- Tire rim has some kind of bubbling corrosion on it
- Rear brake calipers like to rust/freeze in place?

And of course if you'd like tell me why you love it.

I'm considering the 350 and the RC..
Old 11-21-15, 08:02 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

How does this sound for a lease option?

2016IS350AWD
$429mo.36mos.
$2,499due at signing.
Complimentary First Month’s Payment**
Excludes official fees, taxes and dealer charges. No security deposit required. 10,000 mile/year limit.
*Available on approved credit to very well qualified customers through Lexus Financial Services and participating Lexus dealers on a new 2016 IS 350 AWD. Not all customers will qualify. Offer based on MSRP of $49,700 including delivery, processing and handling. Monthly payment may vary depending on final price of vehicle & your qualifications. You pay $0.25 per mile over 10,000 per year. See dealer for vehicle and lease program details. Must take delivery by 1/4/2016. This offer is available in WV, VA, PA, MD, DE, NJ, CT, NY, RI, MA, NH, ME. **Complimentary first month's lease payment up to $700, valid on new 2016 IS 350 AWD leases up to 48 months. Qualifying customers will receive a credit equal to the lesser of $700 or their first month's lease payment (the "Maximum Credit"). The Maximum Credit will be applied first towards the amount due at lease signing with any remainder applied towards cap cost reduction. Offer through a Lexus Dealer and Lexus Financial Services. If the first payment is more than $700, the customer is responsible for any amount over $700. See participating dealer for lease program details. Program not eligible with One-Pay leases. Offer ends 1/4/2016.

Also looking at:
2015RC350AWD
$419mo.36mos.
$1,999due at signing.
Complimentary First Month’s Payment**
Excludes official fees, taxes and dealer charges. No security deposit required. 10,000 mile/year limit
Old 11-23-15, 10:37 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far I haven't had any issues with my 2015 350. I've only noticed 2 small things:

1. Over certain harsh bumps, I hear a little click noise coming from somewhere around the center console, but I can't never pinpoint it.
2. If you get paint protection film installed on the mirrors, the driver mirror makes a faint whistling noise at high speeds. I've read that this happens on the GS as well and it's due to the shape of the mirror and material used for the film.

Other than these two problems, it's been great so far.
Old 11-23-15, 05:37 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My main gripe with 3G IS350 is the 8 speed tranny. It's sluggish as all hell compared to the 2G IS350. As far as creeks and noises I haven't really noticed anything myself. My gas mileage sucks but I don't think my 2G was any better. The nulux faux-leather is harsh and discolors easily (my jean's have dyed it blue). Other than that it's the perfect car. LOL
Old 11-23-15, 05:42 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

haha thanks guys.

I put a deposit down on an I350 Fsport in blue today... just running some number to make sure I really want it!
Old 11-23-15, 05:56 PM
Suspenders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
haha thanks guys.

I put a deposit down on an I350 Fsport in blue today... just running some number to make sure I really want it!
I have a 2016 IS350 FSport and I absolutely love it. It's my first Lexus too! I doubt you'd regret it...
Old 11-23-15, 06:01 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
My main gripe with 3G IS350 is the 8 speed tranny. It's sluggish as all hell compared to the 2G IS350. LOL
Really? Lexus is always raving about how the 8spd shifts so quickly...

I find the 6spd in the 250 shifts slowly, especially when going from 1st to 2nd.. I did notice an improvement overall when I turned off 'ECO' mode.. And I am not refering to the ECO mode on the center console.. I went into the settings where the tach slides to the right and turned off the ECO there and the car seems to respond a lot better... I also notice, half to 3/4 throttle accelerates the car more quickly and shifts faster than full throttle.. Not sure if you have tried any of this..
Old 11-23-15, 06:11 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
haha thanks guys.

USB IS350.... DROOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL...... Just stare at a picture of the car and imagine driving that beauty every day then you'll realize you'll really want it.
Old 11-23-15, 06:26 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chyeea03
USB IS350.... DROOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL...... Just stare at a picture of the car and imagine driving that beauty every day then you'll realize you'll really want it.
It sure is beautiful!! Dealer offered 10k trade in for my is250 awd with 97000 miles on it... I'm pretty happy about that because I got the 250 for 15k originally!! (pretty sure you can see the thread here somewhere that the guy I got it from was about to have it repoed)

Here she is...

I will feel bad giving up the 250 as she was a great car..
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of upgrading my 2007 is250 to a 2016 is350 - what are the problems ?-lex.jpg  

Last edited by J3ffrey; 11-23-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 07:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf

I find the 6spd in the 250 shifts slowly, especially when going from 1st to 2nd.. I did notice an improvement overall when I turned off 'ECO' mode.. And I am not refering to the ECO mode on the center console.. I went into the settings where the tach slides to the right and turned off the ECO there and the car seems to respond a lot better... I also notice, half to 3/4 throttle accelerates the car more quickly and shifts faster than full throttle.. Not sure if you have tried any of this..
The 8speed is simply geared differently to yield slower 1/4th times. In all other situations, the 8 speed is far better. Downshifts, highway pulls, curves the 8 speed is preferred. The manual shifting on the 8 speed is also quicker and the shifts itself are faster. I'd rather have the car balanced like this with the 8 speed than a few then this faster with the six. It's personal preference but no matter how you put it, the IS is not a fast straight line car. It's value comes when it becomes an awesome canyon carver that can act as a grocery getter.
Old 11-23-15, 07:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The ECO indicator on the gauge cluster is simply a "good job for driving economically" light. It's not a setting that affects the car.

From the manual:

■ Eco Driving Indicator
Eco Driving Indicator Light
During Eco-friendly acceleration (Eco driv- ing), the Eco Driving Indicator Light will turn on. When the acceleration exceeds the Zone of Eco driving, or when the vehicle is stopped, the light turns off.
Old 11-23-15, 08:34 PM
2015isboy
Driver

You will love the 350
Old 11-23-15, 08:54 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't had any of those issues at all... If you have the money, go get it. It's a worthy upgrade.

Btw they are not air conditioned seats. They are ventilated seats. Not the same thing. Ventilation vents the air that is inside the car. So if it's hot inside the car, you'll get hot air blowing up your butt. But it does cool down a bit afterwards. Even more if you turn the A/C on.
Old 11-25-15, 06:34 AM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

I had an 07 IS 250 AWD for almost 7 years and got a 2015 f-sport in August, my two cents...
-2015 wind noise (almost like an air leak sound)
-07 had much better/quicker navigation
-2015 much better seats
-07 def had the wheel corrosion you mentioned (2015 doesn’t appear like they will have that issue)
Old 11-25-15, 11:50 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I meant the 8 speed makes the car sluggish (also the weak throttle response), not that the 8 speed itself is sluggish. I miss the throttle response on my 2G, that's what I was going for. LOL.

Overall the car is great and I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market. The OP was just asking for a list of problems and those are all that come to mind.

Quick Reply: Thinking of upgrading my 2007 is250 to a 2016 is350 - what are the problems ?