IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My winter tire setup...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 07:21 AM
dmanmtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My winter tire setup...

So I have read many of the forums on winter wheels and tires and decided on the following setup.

RWC wheels from a local shop - 129$ each - 17X7, hubcentric

Yokohama Ig52 winter tires, 225.45.17 - $960 tax and installation included. I have used these tires on other cars and they are really good in the ice.

The tire dealer I use has so`me `clonable`TPMS sensors he will program and install for $60 each, tax in.

My IS350 is Atomic Silver - so now I am wondering if I should have bought the Anthracite or Black winter wheels instead of silver...too late I guess.

If you are in the montreal area and want details on this setup - PM me.

D
Old 11-14-15, 08:52 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 825 Likes on 404 Posts

If you get the EZ-sensor 33500 TPMS, let me know if you get the tire pressures in the dash. I was told I'd get them, but I'm not...

The weird thing is that I will have them if the OEM sensors are aside the car when I put ignition on, and they will work as long as the car is not shut off... But I get no pressure readings of the OEM sensors are not near the car when starting it...
Old 11-14-15, 09:49 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
If you get the EZ-sensor 33500 TPMS, let me know if you get the tire pressures in the dash. I was told I'd get them, but I'm not...

The weird thing is that I will have them if the OEM sensors are aside the car when I put ignition on, and they will work as long as the car is not shut off... But I get no pressure readings of the OEM sensors are not near the car when starting it...
So you don't get the warning light, but don't have pressure readings? I wouldn't even bother buying these aftermarket ones if that's the case...
Old 11-14-15, 09:55 AM
Answer
Instructor

I don't get pressure readings if the OEM sensors aren't near the car upon start up. If they are near, I get the readings... Pretty weird...

No warning light, but I know it may take a while for it to appear so I can't confirm. Next I need to try and deflate a tire, to confirm if I'm getting the low pressure warning.

I'll go back to my tire shop cause I was specifically told I'd get the readings with their new software update.
Old 11-14-15, 10:33 AM
dmanmtl
Driver School Candidate

Default will let you know on the TPMS

My tire dealer tells me they will work just like the OEM. AAnd I will not have to have them rebound to the car every season change. Its a shame that lexus did away with the 2 sets of tires settings that you used to be able to easily choose...I had that on my 2IS 250...
Old 11-14-15, 12:01 PM
Answer
Instructor

Well, I tried deflating a tire and I do get the tpms light in the dash... So the car does get the pressures, but simply won't display them... (having the OEM sensors near the car upon startup did show the pressures, and as I drove away, I indeed got a yellow pressure reading showing 25psi in the dash. But when I stopped and restarted the car, no more readings)
Old 11-20-15, 12:29 PM
dmanmtl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
Well, I tried deflating a tire and I do get the tpms light in the dash... So the car does get the pressures, but simply won't display them... (having the OEM sensors near the car upon startup did show the pressures, and as I drove away, I indeed got a yellow pressure reading showing 25psi in the dash. But when I stopped and restarted the car, no more readings)
Looks like I have the same issue - I had the new tires and wheels installed yesterday but forgot to check the actual pressure readings before leaving the shop, Sure enough the pressures do not display, however I do not have a low pressure warning. I was assured by the shop that this would work so I will go back and talk to them.

I am impressed with how quiet the Yokos are though, the ride is softer than with the stock 18s but the car still feels good.

D
Old 11-20-15, 01:24 PM
Answer
Instructor

Just came back from my tire shop and the sensors vendor acknowledged the problem. The new 33500 sensors did fix this problem with a bunch of cars, but not Lexus.
I did confirm that the system actually works and will display the tpms light if a low pressure is detected, but you won't get the readings in the dash.
Old 11-22-15, 10:38 AM
newToIs250
Driver

Originally Posted by dmanmtl
So I have read many of the forums on winter wheels and tires and decided on the following setup.

RWC wheels from a local shop - 129$ each - 17X7, hubcentric

Yokohama Ig52 winter tires, 225.45.17 - $960 tax and installation included. I have used these tires on other cars and they are really good in the ice.

The tire dealer I use has so`me `clonable`TPMS sensors he will program and install for $60 each, tax in.

My IS350 is Atomic Silver - so now I am wondering if I should have bought the Anthracite or Black winter wheels instead of silver...too late I guess.

If you are in the montreal area and want details on this setup - PM me.

D

Hi

Are those rwc wheels? Do you have pictures of them mounted on your car?

Thanks