IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Re: IS200T Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 10:11 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Unless you can up the boost through a tune (which you can't)....you will kick around in the dirt and accomplish nothing
true, a tune would be an ultimate end all be all solution but till there are piggybacks and full standalones for the 200t, the performance mods available could be simple bolts ons that will surely add performance i.e. downpipe, catback, CAI along with lighter wheels and grippier tires but we'll let the dyno sheets and time slips speak for themselves as these products are developed for the 200t
Old 11-11-15, 01:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by hambrabi
Well I waited for the 2.0T on the IS because it would be faster and have better economy over the is250. Yes I could have bought the IS350, I know that is a really fast car (on your typical suburban drive anyway), but I think its just too fast and I know I wont end up using all the power thats why I settled for the IS200T. For the same price. I could have bought an STI if I wanted fast.

I just thought the improvement for this IS would be enough, I am a little disappointed but I dont regret buying it. I just wanted to ask you guys cause this car is still really new and maybe there were some tricks in the car I didnt take advantage of.

And yeah, I had had traction control on, but I think if I turned it off I would have swerved or something due to the rain?

P.S. I did not race the guy on purpose, but I thought that truck would be a good benchmark to test acceleration since the guy started revving anyway

To get a noticeably quicker launch, brake-torque your start on dry pavement - it makes a BIG difference with this engine.
Old 11-11-15, 01:57 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given 200t has a turbo one may wonder if a third party ECU tune becomes available in the near future. I would be very curious to see what kind of gains the tune will bring. Usually FI engines are mod friendly and by increasing the boost, fuel, and adjusting the timing these engines have great potential to gain a lot more power and torque. I guess the big question remains if a tuning company can crack Toyota's code, which I assume wont be that easy. But if they do and it works I bet there is gonna very high demand for their product.
Old 11-11-15, 03:37 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hambrabi
Well I waited for the 2.0T on the IS because it would be faster and have better economy over the is250. Yes I could have bought the IS350, I know that is a really fast car (on your typical suburban drive anyway), but I think its just too fast and I know I wont end up using all the power thats why I settled for the IS200T. For the same price. I could have bought an STI if I wanted fast.

I just thought the improvement for this IS would be enough, I am a little disappointed but I dont regret buying it. I just wanted to ask you guys cause this car is still really new and maybe there were some tricks in the car I didnt take advantage of.

And yeah, I had had traction control on, but I think if I turned it off I would have swerved or something due to the rain?

P.S. I did not race the guy on purpose, but I thought that truck would be a good benchmark to test acceleration since the guy started revving anyway
Might want to consider getting a 350 some day lol. It´s not considered fast, but just enough power to outdo most common cars on the road.
Old 11-11-15, 08:09 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 200t is a slow economy car. it is not built to race. the goal for lexus is fuel economy and reliability (also, an sti is not really "fast" either). there are MANY cars for this money that are faster than a 200t. There are many other reasons you buy a 200t other than drag races - its a great car. just don't expect an ounce of performance outside of grandmas commute to the grocery store.

the 350 f sport isn't slow (I own one), but its also not a performance car IMO. transmission isn't tuned for aggression, neither is the engine. the suspension is nice though, and its good enough for a daily commuter and overtaking pickup trucks.
Old 11-11-15, 08:27 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coldsoda
the 200t is a slow economy car. it is not built to race. the goal for lexus is fuel economy and reliability (also, an sti is not really "fast" either). there are MANY cars for this money that are faster than a 200t. There are many other reasons you buy a 200t other than drag races - its a great car. just don't expect an ounce of performance outside of grandmas commute to the grocery store.

the 350 f sport isn't slow (I own one), but its also not a performance car IMO. transmission isn't tuned for aggression, neither is the engine. the suspension is nice though, and its good enough for a daily commuter and overtaking pickup trucks.
+1. yes, the 350 isn't slow, but it isn't fast either.
Old 11-11-15, 09:39 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
+1. yes, the 350 isn't slow, but it isn't fast either.
+2
The IS350 is the slowest car in its segment.
OP tried to beat a V8 in an I4......
Old 11-11-15, 09:47 PM
hambrabi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coldsoda

Yeah, I really did think about the 350, but where I live the traffic doesnt move. The 350 would be overkill in my area, there are so many slow drivers blocking lanes, I wouldnt be able to make use of the power at all. Right now most of the times when I drive Im literally idling in the road. I picked the 200t cause of the slightly better fuel economy over the other two options so I guess I got what I paid for.

Im not complaining, every car has its pros and cons, while obviously this one is lacking speed, the other refinements definitely make up for it.

Though I reckon that Id beat that pick up truck on the track any day =)
Old 11-11-15, 09:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
+2
Depends on what you define as the segment. People strangely compare the 335 and S4 to the IS350 when they are significantly more expensive. If you want comparably priced vehicles, a high end A4, Q50, 328 and ATS are the IS350 competitors and the IS350 does very well in terms of speed.
Old 11-11-15, 10:01 PM
bizzzzlle
Driver School Candidate

So what? I beat v8 with my 4 all day long
Originally Posted by forum429
+2
Old 11-12-15, 04:07 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzzzlle
So what? I beat v8 with my 4 all day long
And your 4 banger is what exactly.... It certainly isn't an IS.

Last edited by Swacer; 11-12-15 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 06:50 PM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

I am the IS250 owner and was thinking to "upgrade" to the IS200T. But after test drive, I completely gave up this idea as I am personally quite disappointed and think it is a huge downgrade of my current car, the only improvement area is the car feel more powerful in city driving, but the significant turbo lag is the deal breaker, when I need power I probably have to wait 1-2 sec until someone come to kick my ***, I was very embarrassing when I tried to take over the other cars on the highway or rapidly exit the roundabout, not to mention the slow response of 8 speed gear box, the gear box shift frequently between 5th-7th in order to try to find a suitable gear if my foot give slightly different pressure to the throttle, it made the ride very uncomfortable and jerky. IMO, I felt faster even on the 320i which only has 184hp
However, Lexus 2.0T is a bit quieter than the BMW's but it's much more noisier and roughier than the MB's or Audi's, not to mention the silk-like V6, I can clearly hear the engine noise and feel the vibration when sitting inside the IS200T, can't believe this is a product from Lexus...

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Were you starting from a stop? If so, no surprises due to the initial lag. My IS250 beats my NX 200t (same engine as your IS) for the first 50 m but the NX overtakes it afterwards...

In addition, if the Chevy was AWD, he might have also had better traction in the rain compared to yours. If the TCS was inhibiting power on your car though (which is possible), you would have seen the orange light flickering on the dash.
Old 11-12-15, 08:44 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Depends on what you define as the segment. People strangely compare the 335 and S4 to the IS350 when they are significantly more expensive. If you want comparably priced vehicles, a high end A4, Q50, 328 and ATS are the IS350 competitors and the IS350 does very well in terms of speed.
This is the best post i have seen in a while. You can't compare cars that 10-20 grand more in the segment. The is350 for the price handily beats the 328i m sport A4 s line and the TLX v6 imo by far. The q50 is trash and I drove it. Yet to drive the ATS heard it's nice.
Old 11-12-15, 09:22 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That`s because the IS350 is the highest model in its entry level luxury sedan segment.
IS350/S4/340i/C450/Q50/TLX/ATS 3.6 are all the highest models in its series
IS200t/A4/328i/C300/ATS 2.0T are the base model of the entry level luxury sedan segment.
Old 11-13-15, 03:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mingkwong
I am the IS250 owner and was thinking to "upgrade" to the IS200T. But after test drive, I completely gave up this idea as I am personally quite disappointed and think it is a huge downgrade of my current car, the only improvement area is the car feel more powerful in city driving, but the significant turbo lag is the deal breaker, when I need power I probably have to wait 1-2 sec until someone come to kick my ***, I was very embarrassing when I tried to take over the other cars on the highway or rapidly exit the roundabout, not to mention the slow response of 8 speed gear box, the gear box shift frequently between 5th-7th in order to try to find a suitable gear if my foot give slightly different pressure to the throttle, it made the ride very uncomfortable and jerky. IMO, I felt faster even on the 320i which only has 184hp
However, Lexus 2.0T is a bit quieter than the BMW's but it's much more noisier and roughier than the MB's or Audi's, not to mention the silk-like V6, I can clearly hear the engine noise and feel the vibration when sitting inside the IS200T, can't believe this is a product from Lexus...
I think the biggest problem here is that a turbo is being introduced to a market of people who have no understanding what the POINT of boosting an economically sized engine brings to the table. I can bet 80% or more of the new IS200T owners think along the this path "I HAVE A TURBO!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ONE IN MY PREVIOUS IS, I'M SO FAST!!" Until they drive it...and realize...oh s#%(*, I lost displacement, lost torque on demand, and now I'm stuck waiting for boost that doesn't offer the smooth power curve I get naturally aspirated? But...but....TURBO!?!?

There is nothing wrong with the car for what it is. The problem is that the demographic that is buying it doesn't understand it, and Toyota is doing a poor job marketing it properly.

Quick Reply: Re: IS200T Acceleration