IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 04:26 AM
maxtcee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage door opener

can someone point me in the right direction as to program my garage door opener. all the videos I've seen uses you garage door remote but i don't have a remote I'm trying to do it with just the red learn button but it doesn't work thanks
Old 11-08-15, 05:04 AM
RdclWilly
Driver School Candidate

I don't think you can do it without a remote. If you don't have the remote, you can order a replacement for pretty cheap.
Old 11-08-15, 05:07 AM
maxtcee
Driver

Originally Posted by RdclWilly
I don't think you can do it without a remote. If you don't have the remote, you can order a replacement for pretty cheap.
i did my old GS and my wifes QX56 and my daughters KIA without remote so i should be able to do the IS but for some reason it won't transmit
Old 11-08-15, 05:55 AM
alvitdk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxtcee
i did my old GS and my wifes QX56 and my daughters KIA without remote so i should be able to do the IS but for some reason it won't transmit
As far as you know you need the remote. You need to first sync the remote with the car, and than you can use the learn button on the opener to program the car. Thats how it was on all my cars.
Old 11-08-15, 06:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I never used the remote. If the garage door opener uses rolling codes, you have to use the red button on the opener to begin the learning process. The instructions are in the manual for home link.
Old 11-08-15, 06:26 AM
alvitdk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
I never used the remote. If the garage door opener uses rolling codes, you have to use the red button on the opener to begin the learning process. The instructions are in the manual for home link.
From the instruction manual for the Lexus IS vehicle (Homelink website)

For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly.

When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.

If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier.

Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.

Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Old 11-08-15, 07:48 AM
maxtcee
Driver

got it working found my old transmitter and used the method in the book thanks guys
Old 11-09-15, 03:40 PM
JSean21
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't find your remote to the garage door, you can also use the keypad that is located on the side of your garage (you know the one where you type in the code to get in?) that exact pad can be taken off with two screws and used in your car as a "remote" for pairing your garage door to your car.