IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

BMW to Lexus Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 06:33 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when I made a 14 IS350 F Sport, it came out to be about 48k MSRP, I made a 335 with similar optioning $56k. I even made a 328 in the same optioning and it was still more expensive than the IS
I agree. I spent quite a while shopping for 328/335/235 before I ended up with my IS350. Unfortunately, you just can't option the BMW or MB without going over $50k. The payment I have with my IS is easily a $150 less per month then the BMW I was interested in at the time. However, I've never seen Lexus as a direct competitor to BMW/Audi/MB personally (more Acura). There are plenty of positive things to say about both BMW and Lexus though. I like just about all the brands these days.

Comfort and steering (I haven't tried the updated steering on the 3 series) go to the Lexus IMO. The Lexus AVS system and shock dampening are impressive. Engine and Transmission to BMW. Interior is a toss-up depending on your style but BMW's haven't changed much since the E46. The IS is more cockpit inside while the BMW is very airy and open. Seats are more comfortable in the IS. Infotainment easily goes to BMW. Some other tech features arent available on the IS yet so that goes to BMW as well (HUD, etc.). Exterior styling is subjective, but I prefer the M-sport trim 3 series over the IS models.

Last edited by ExSrAaron; 11-05-15 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 06:51 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest difference is how planted a BMW feels. But the IS350 does a great job in competing. Have to give lexus credit here.
Old 11-05-15, 07:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015isboy
Biggest difference is how planted a BMW feels. But the IS350 does a great job in competing. Have to give lexus credit here.
The F30 feels big. Maybe that exudes the planted feel but it makes the car way less toss able. The IS350 feels like very nimble. That's the primary reason I chose it over he BMW.
Old 11-08-15, 10:51 AM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Bought an IS 250 f2 2015 for my wife and I kept my BMW 525i 2002, BMW is certainly more expensive to buy and I suspect, more expensive to maintain; but this being said, BMW with a manual tranny is way to moe fun to drive. Steering is heavier, road handling is better, suspension is stiffer, less electronics etc. etc.
Now, on the positive sign Lexus dealer experience is definitely much better than BMW dealers, where their arrogance is their pride...
Old 11-09-15, 03:25 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to have an E90 335i with the sport package. While I miss the torque (and sound) of the BMW I6 engine, the IS 350 has adequate power for most driving situations.

It's a great car, but doesn't quite have the "soul" of the BMW. That said, the ride quality blows the BMW away. The IS350 is firm, especially in S+ mode, but never harsh and crashy like the 335i. I live in the city and the streets are pretty bad. Using the BMW as a daily driver was almost unbearable. Even my S2000 rides better than my 335i did.
Old 11-09-15, 03:26 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
After owning 2x IS300 in the past, I have no interest in owning a 3IS.
I just snagged one of the last manual Audi S4s and I was very pleasantly impressed.
Beats the IS in every single category. Can't comment on reliability, but it has been a blast so far.
I do see a few IS converts on the Audi S4 forum.
I do kinda wish I had went with the S4. It will likely be my next car.
Old 11-09-15, 04:57 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I do kinda wish I had went with the S4. It will likely be my next car.
The S4 had the best handling out of all the luxury cars I drove in this size but over 60k
Old 11-09-15, 05:23 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I owned 2014 IS350 F Sport for a little more than a year and I put around 25K miles during my ownership. I was in the same boat as OP currently is. I gave a Lexus a chance as I never owned a Japanese car so to my surprise 3IS beat my all expectations. It was actually very fun car to drive. In its stock form the chassis is superb, very stiff and nicely dialed in. Yes, it understeers and all that but you have to got to drive it really hard to be able to notice it. Within about 3-6months of my ownership I was about to jump to 335i but changed my mind once I drove my lexus back home from BMW dealership. That should say everything. 3IS F sport is in fact a better driver's car than 335i and many many reviews supported this position. Yes, you can tune 335i by getting bilstein coils, ecu flashed and get beefier bars and it will become a beast of a car but stock to stock comparison 3IS is hands down a better choice.

Now for me personally I was a bit Audi fan and I couldn't resist getting S3 so I traded in my 3IS. But frankly speaking I am not bimmer fan or lexus fan boy so I am trying to give my unbiased opinion. I think for the money 3IS 350 F Sport offers more bang for the buck than any comparable bimmer does.
Old 11-10-15, 02:20 AM
Reeree
Driver School Candidate

I drove my dream car, BMW 325xi for 7.5 years. Bought it used and as a 10 year old car still looks mint with no paint chips. With 180K miles and $7K of looming repairs (after $2K of recent repairs), I began to research Lexus IS 250 and purchased one. My Lexus IS is a beautiful head turning car - atomic silver color with flax interior. I'm buying it because it's fun to drive, I'm keeping it 10 years and prioritize reliability. The seats are also more comfortable than the BMW - and I love the new technology that comes with my Lexus like the rear camera and blind spot alerts.

Differences that I note: The Lexus is solid, but doesn't have the tank like feeling of the BMW. Both are beautiful cars inside and out, but my BMW had wood trim which was an elegant touch. I didn't drive my BMW like a crazy person, but notice that the acceleration is not as swift with the Lexus. However, the stiffness of the BMW made going over road imperfections a rough ride where the Lexus is more forgiving. My biggest concern with the Lexus is that the paint will not hold up like the BMW. Having driven an Avalon which really showed it's age by the time I got rid of it at 235K miles, I'm planning to get a paint preserving film for the front of my car and door edges (there were a few chips already on the Lexus when I bought it used (1 year 7K miles). The reason I went with the Lexus is it performed well enough, was the color and price I wanted to pay and I expect it will be more waayyyy more reliable.

The BMW is a dream for the first 100K miles with the extended warranty. In fact, I probably had $3-4K of warranty repairs in addition to the regular maintenance that is included in that extended warranty. Once you hit that mark things happen and it's big bucks to fix the car. Off the top of my head, here's what went on my car out of warranty: Window would get stuck and would not close without coaxing it, automated rear door lock failed (could no longer operate door with remote) 2 engine coils failed, wheel bearings went, sway bars and control arms need to be replaced due to stiffness of suspension, automatic starter needed to be replaced, oil leak, power steering fluid leak, radiator crack. So, if you buy your cars and hold them, Lexus is the better bet. Never had any of these issues with my Avalon. If you don't mind the inconvenience of warranty repairs and get rid of your cars at 100K miles, then go for the BMW....or if you are a do it yourself repairer and are up to the challenge....again BMW is a great car.

p.s. not sure that BMW offers that extended warranty now.

Last edited by Reeree; 11-10-15 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added some other comments
Old 11-10-15, 04:54 AM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbythesea
Hi All,

I’m a current BMW 335 coupe owner and amconsidering either the IS350 or RC350. I’ve driven both and like both, andunderstand there is a bit less edge compared to the BMW. That being said, I’mleaning a bit more toward comfort and quiet. Just seeing if there are anyrecent BMW converts and what your experience with Lexus has been thus far.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Get an ISF. Be happy
Old 11-10-15, 05:52 AM
Suspenders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Reeree
I drove my dream car, BMW 325xi for 7.5 years. Bought it used and as a 10 year old car still looks mint with no paint chips. With 180K miles and $7K of looming repairs (after $2K of recent repairs), I began to research Lexus IS 250 and purchased one. My Lexus IS is a beautiful head turning car - atomic silver color with flax interior. I'm buying it because it's fun to drive, I'm keeping it 10 years and prioritize reliability. The seats are also more comfortable than the BMW - and I love the new technology that comes with my Lexus like the rear camera and blind spot alerts.

Differences that I note: The Lexus is solid, but doesn't have the tank like feeling of the BMW. Both are beautiful cars inside and out, but my BMW had wood trim which was an elegant touch. I didn't drive my BMW like a crazy person, but notice that the acceleration is not as swift with the Lexus. However, the stiffness of the BMW made going over road imperfections a rough ride where the Lexus is more forgiving. My biggest concern with the Lexus is that the paint will not hold up like the BMW. Having driven an Avalon which really showed it's age by the time I got rid of it at 235K miles, I'm planning to get a paint preserving film for the front of my car and door edges (there were a few chips already on the Lexus when I bought it used (1 year 7K miles). The reason I went with the Lexus is it performed well enough, was the color and price I wanted to pay and I expect it will be more waayyyy more reliable.

The BMW is a dream for the first 100K miles with the extended warranty. In fact, I probably had $3-4K of warranty repairs in addition to the regular maintenance that is included in that extended warranty. Once you hit that mark things happen and it's big bucks to fix the car. Off the top of my head, here's what went on my car out of warranty: Window would get stuck and would not close without coaxing it, automated rear door lock failed (could no longer operate door with remote) 2 engine coils failed, wheel bearings went, sway bars and control arms need to be replaced due to stiffness of suspension, automatic starter needed to be replaced, oil leak, power steering fluid leak, radiator crack. So, if you buy your cars and hold them, Lexus is the better bet. Never had any of these issues with my Avalon. If you don't mind the inconvenience of warranty repairs and get rid of your cars at 100K miles, then go for the BMW....or if you are a do it yourself repairer and are up to the challenge....again BMW is a great car.

p.s. not sure that BMW offers that extended warranty now.
I think we literally had the exact same experience.
Old 11-10-15, 10:27 AM
RA110323
5th Gear

Thanks everyone for the replies and great discussion.

My car is at the dealer now for service and I've got a 2015 328i loaner. For parts build quality, interior feel/finish and other non-driving aspects, the IS wins in my opinion. The cockpit feel of the IS someone mentioned fits my taste more. Also, I think the IS fake leather actually feels nicer than the real leather of the BMW.

The IS feels like more of a fun driver's car compared to even the new 340i (driven it). Feels more immediate and lively, like my E36s and E46s were. True that power is down, but seems to have more spirit and without being beaten up by the road - run flats blow. IS Technology/Nav is a step back and I really wish it had stuff like fold in mirror and reverse mirror tilt as that is what I'm used to.

I don't keep my cars for more than 3 years so long-term reliability, while important, isn't my main concern. Pricing is definitely in the IS favor too.

I tried to S3 and S4 as well. Both are fun but not for me. The quattro saps too much power for my taste and RWD is fine here in CA. Also, I can't stand the DSG throttle tip-in/engagement from a stop. Really like the MBZ C450 AMG, but again don't need/want the 4MATIC, high $$$ or difficulty in finding one without a panoramic sunroof.

The needle is pointing more toward the IS so we'll see after the dealer gets back to me about my service issues.
Old 11-10-15, 11:59 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbythesea
Thanks everyone for the replies and great discussion.

My car is at the dealer now for service and I've got a 2015 328i loaner. For parts build quality, interior feel/finish and other non-driving aspects, the IS wins in my opinion. The cockpit feel of the IS someone mentioned fits my taste more. Also, I think the IS fake leather actually feels nicer than the real leather of the BMW.

The IS feels like more of a fun driver's car compared to even the new 340i (driven it). Feels more immediate and lively, like my E36s and E46s were. True that power is down, but seems to have more spirit and without being beaten up by the road - run flats blow. IS Technology/Nav is a step back and I really wish it had stuff like fold in mirror and reverse mirror tilt as that is what I'm used to.

I don't keep my cars for more than 3 years so long-term reliability, while important, isn't my main concern. Pricing is definitely in the IS favor too.

I tried to S3 and S4 as well. Both are fun but not for me. The quattro saps too much power for my taste and RWD is fine here in CA. Also, I can't stand the DSG throttle tip-in/engagement from a stop. Really like the MBZ C450 AMG, but again don't need/want the 4MATIC, high $$$ or difficulty in finding one without a panoramic sunroof.

The needle is pointing more toward the IS so we'll see after the dealer gets back to me about my service issues.
I just read this review today of the 340i. It seems like while they've stepped up the peak power and torque, it's not as quick as the previous 335i. Furthermore, it seems like the steering feels kinda numb and disconnected still.

If I were buying a new car, I'd seriously consider the Mercedes C450, Jaguar XE, and IS350. I ended up with my IS because it was significantly cheaper and felt as good or better to drive than the other cars I was looking at when buying it. If money was no option and I was buying now, I'd most likely end up with the new XE.
Old 11-10-15, 12:14 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
The S4 had the best handling out of all the luxury cars I drove in this size but over 60k
I paid a little over $50K for mine (after rebates) and that's with a Tech package and Sport Diff.
It's not that much more expensive than a comparable IS350 AWD with options.
Old 11-10-15, 12:26 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I paid a little over $50K for mine (after rebates) and that's with a Tech package and Sport Diff.
It's not that much more expensive than a comparable IS350 AWD with options.
It depends where you live. In Canada, my fully loaded IS350 was about $15k less (before taxes) than a 335i and S4 with the same options.

Quick Reply: BMW to Lexus Thoughts