IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

BMW to Lexus Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 05:10 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It shouldn't go unsaid that Lexus made Consumers Reports 2015 most reliable brand.. again, while BMW is down at #10. Lexus's overall resale value is typically the best there is as well.
Old 11-10-15, 09:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned BMWs and Lexus', and have a lot of experience with the 3IS.

My honest assessment is that while Lexus has narrowed the gap with BMW, they are still not BMWs. At the end of the day BMW is still the best luxury automaker and Lexus still isn't up to snuff. The powertrains on these new Lexus' are still behind, the transmission are behind, and the interiors are behind. If you want the best get a BMW, if you want something close that will more more reliable and a better long-term ownership proposition, Lexus is the winner.
Old 11-11-15, 03:02 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I have owned BMWs and Lexus', and have a lot of experience with the 3IS.

My honest assessment is that while Lexus has narrowed the gap with BMW, they are still not BMWs. At the end of the day BMW is still the best luxury automaker and Lexus still isn't up to snuff. The powertrains on these new Lexus' are still behind, the transmission are behind, and the interiors are behind. If you want the best get a BMW, if you want something close that will more more reliable and a better long-term ownership proposition, Lexus is the winner.
Well said, I agree. At least we had legitimate options now compared to 5-10 years ago. Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, MB, Hyundai, Buick, and Audi have all stepped up their game.
Old 11-12-15, 08:38 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
Well said, I agree. At least we had legitimate options now compared to 5-10 years ago. Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, MB, Hyundai, Buick, and Audi have all stepped up their game.
I agree! They are all closing the gap on BMW. I'm still impressed with how nicely BMW's their cars even though they look very simple. Lexus will always try to maintain reliability vs BMW or German rivals.
Old 11-12-15, 08:41 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The F30 feels big. Maybe that exudes the planted feel but it makes the car way less toss able. The IS350 feels like very nimble. That's the primary reason I chose it over he BMW.
Just had my is350 shipped last friday. The drive is absolutely amazing. I still have to break it in. But I'm much happier paying 150-300 less than a semi optioned out 340i m sport or even a 328i m sport. I think the 350 kicks the 328i *** in every way imo.
Old 11-12-15, 09:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015isboy
Just had my is350 shipped last friday. The drive is absolutely amazing. I still have to break it in. But I'm much happier paying 150-300 less than a semi optioned out 340i m sport or even a 328i m sport. I think the 350 kicks the 328i *** in every way imo.
It gets better the more I drive it. I test drove the 335 and Q50S before purchasing the IS350. Absolutely no regrets and still adore the car after 9 months!
Old 11-13-15, 08:32 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015isboy
I agree! They are all closing the gap on BMW. I'm still impressed with how nicely BMW's their cars even though they look very simple. Lexus will always try to maintain reliability vs BMW or German rivals.
I wouldn't call BMW's look simple. To me it is just CHEAP.
They're not cheap, but they look cheap. You can see they cut corners everywhere.
No dipstick, no spare tire, plastic everything, McPherson front suspension, single-piston front calipers (Even on M3: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html)

I was getting really close to ordering a 340i, as I figured it was as close a replacement to my beloved IS300, but I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on spending $55K vehicle with an interior that can be bested by a Corolla. Never mind the horrible exterior look that even $3K M3 package can't fix.

And how the hell did they get an I6 engine exhaust to sound like a fart-can in a Civic?
IS300 was playing such a lovely note and BMW sounds nothing like it.

IMHO, Lexus has long surpassed BMW. BMW is not the same BMW it used to be. Now it's all about how to get up to 120 model variants, up from 60, all based on the same 4 vehicles, which somehow should turn into more profit. The way I see it, it is a corporate mess like no other.

It was a much easier sell for me to get an Audi S4, which surpasses BMW in every single category, except front weight distribution. I'm very happy with that decision. So, no BMW for me until they get their act together.
Old 11-13-15, 12:10 PM
Suspenders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
IMHO, Lexus has long surpassed BMW. BMW is not the same BMW it used to be. Now it's all about how to get up to 120 model variants, up from 60, all based on the same 4 vehicles, which somehow should turn into more profit. The way I see it, it is a corporate mess like no other.
A company's job is to maximize it's profits. That being said, I completely agree with this statement - it's a corporate mess.
Old 11-13-15, 12:33 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the tires on the IS asap imo. I just replaced mine on 2014 350 Fsport with Michelin Super Sports -- and -- oh my -- what a difference a $1000 can make. Wish I would've done it as soon as I got the car. The OEM's are subpar imo and they wore out after 18K of mostly city driving.
Old 11-26-15, 05:14 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Replace the tires on the IS asap imo. I just replaced mine on 2014 350 Fsport with Michelin Super Sports -- and -- oh my -- what a difference a $1000 can make. Wish I would've done it as soon as I got the car. The OEM's are subpar imo and they wore out after 18K of mostly city driving.
I have the 350 F Sport as well. I found stepping up the tire pressures to 38 psi cold made a big difference in handling and sporty feel. I will switch to the Pilot Sports - which were amazing on my BMW - after my tires wear out (have about 20,000 on them now).

As far as the IS vs BMW 335i, the IS is more luxury than sport compared to my previous car, an E46 330i which I owned for 12 years. The 330i was smaller, lighter, more nimble and felt like a sports car. I still miss it. The current F30 3 series are bigger, heavier, and even with the sport package, has numb, light steering and a soft suspension that feels more like a luxury car which is what led me to consider the IS. The IS is fully competitive with the F30 BMWs. The F30 has a slight edge on engine and transmission but the IS has better handling, turn-in and steering. Not only that, the IS is smoother and quieter overall but can handle with the best of them when the road get twisty. The V6 is smooth and while it is down on low end torque compared to the F30, has no lag and is extremely quick above 4,000 rpm. High speed stabiility is also excellent in the IS. I love the IS cockpit and seating position better. I consider the IS assembly precision to better BMWs. The IS quality of the materials are good but it lacks the premium feel of high end cars. It takes a while for the suspension (shocks) and engine to fully break in - for me it was about 16,000 miles. The things I would improve in the IS is to give it an even stiffer platform and solving the squeaking of the interior plastic interior panels. I have owned it for 11 months with no issues or regrets. The IS, while not perfect, is a great effort from Lexus.

Last edited by Savjam; 11-26-15 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-07-15, 03:46 PM
LexGamer
Driver School Candidate

3 months with a IS350F now coming from a M235, FRS, Cayman S, 996, E90 335, and some other fun stuff. NA engines are just the business. Out on the track the 350 is graceful and easily throttle-steered. On the autocross, it rotates precisely. The BMW's turbo engines take practice to manage the torque. BMW's steering is lifeless and suspension takes time to settle into a corner even with M adaptive suspension. The 350 manages all this with far more composure.

BMW's 8 speed auto is buttery goodness. Lexus' is clunky and slow and probably the worst part of the car. Also nice that beemer still offers a manual.

Real world driving has less disparity. Both have interior pluses and minuses (I'll never buy another car that doesn't have ventilated seats). Driving position is too high, but that's most cars. Gas mileage sucks in the 350. Averaging nearly 5mpg less than in the M235. That digs into the pricing difference a bit depending how much you drive.

The 350 is a smart alternative for those that enjoy turns and rotation more than straight line performance. And damn those ventilated seats are nice!
Old 12-07-15, 09:45 PM
Lex350F
Driver School Candidate

One word, Torque! If you are a torque man, its tough getting used to an N/A engine. My friend has a 2014 335xi with 8spd auto. Its a CPO, fully loaded every option ticked, Msport package, and he got it cheaper than my is350. Its a world of a different car from the IS.

It really is hands down way more engaging to drive than the lexus. Tons of torque, awd is awesome, 8spd auto shifts so quick and smooth. the 335xi has completely different driving dynamics vs the lexus.

Having said that, IS has less things to worry about, its more comfortable, smooth and still quick enough. so, all depends on what you want.
Old 12-07-15, 09:49 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have also noticed that BMW and Mercedes do a better job with reducing road noise. Lexus can get the car to be very quiet at low speeds and at idle, but BMW cuts more of the tire noise out.
Old 12-09-15, 09:53 AM
Acqua44
Driver School Candidate

I went from a e92 335i to the Lexus is350. All in all the car is great, however its not the same standard of performance as other people have mentioned. The interior is much better in the lexus imo, but the driving experience in a bmw is not comparable. Steering is much tighter in the bmw which is what i loved the most about my 335. Plus in general having a 6 speed MT was so much funner to drive than my lexus.

Only complaint about my lexus really besides performance (car wasn't bought for that anyways) is for some reason my lower back starts to hurt after drives more than 30 min. Always happens and i haven't been able to find a seating position comfortable in the last 2 years of ownership.
Old 12-11-15, 11:35 AM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from an 09 335i that I had bought as a CPO to a 2015 350 F Sport. The major reason in getting rid of the 335i was the CPO warranty was ending and the week before it ended I blew an injector. $2400 repair bill luckily covered still. But I had no desire to have to worry about stuff breaking down outside of warranty.

I do miss the turbocharged engine of the 335i but the IS can hold its own. From a practical sense, the thing I miss most about the BMW is the Sports Package Seat Extenders. I wish every car had those.

Quick Reply: BMW to Lexus Thoughts