Old 10-29-15, 06:15 PM
Taideee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Advice

Hi guys,

I am completely new to Lexus, I was hoping to get some advice
I just bought a 2016 Lexus IS350 Fsport White

1. What is better for paint protection? Ceramic pro or Gtechniq ? adv/disadv of each ?

2. I was trying to decide between Photo Sync(35% all around + 75 Windshield) and Suntek(35% everything) for tint, what would you recommend?

3. I did some research and learned that most people recommended Michelin PSS for tires. However since I live in Seattle, I rather have All-seasons to deal with the Rain/Snow/Weather BS. Is anyone familiar with these ones
a)Pirelli P Zero All season plus
b)Continental Extremecontact DWS 06
c)Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

I did read the review from TireRack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=201)
However I just wanted couple other people's opinions

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-29-15, 09:25 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I dont have experience with either of those, but do have with most common wax/sealants. Ive done optigloss (previously called opticoat) on a previous new car. Nothing protects like a clear bra and they have come a long way in the last 5-8 years or so. might be something to consider also?

2) suntek is a brand I see more often here in AZ and other places I've lived (OH, MD). As long as it has lifetime warranty you'll be good IMO. Check with your local tint laws on the front windshield tint... you may need a Dr's note to get that done legally.

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. A dedicated summer time like the PSS is great, but where you live the AS3 is a better choice. They work great in the rain and I ran them on my last car and was very impressed with ride quality and traction in all weather (didnt have a chance to run them in snow personally).
Old 10-30-15, 06:21 AM
Wung
Driver School Candidate

I personally went with Igreenlover Kenzo coating for a paint protector. It does the same thing as Ceramic pro and Gtechniq but is engineered to have larger water droplets which in turn will cause you to have less water spots on your car. I'm not a professional tho and from what I can tell, it's not really the coating but the upkeep and maintenance that will make a difference in the end. I recommend finding a detailer with some kinda contract plan so you can keep your car maintained at a low cost.
Old 10-30-15, 03:16 PM
alude
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your purchase. i too bought a 2016 IS350 fsport in Obsidian black with red interior. it is currently at sea. ETA Nov 25. i have been waiting for over a month so far.
in regards to coating, i am scheduled to have the xpel ultimate film applied to the entire front end plus rocker panels. then Gtechniq crystal serum will be next for coating purposes. as for tinting, i will be getting the 3M crystalline tint for all windows, clear for the front 3 and 20% light transmission for the back three.

not sure if this will help you decide but will let you know in a month's time how it comes out.
Old 10-30-15, 04:35 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome!

1. I would look for any XPEL Ultimate installers locally. This is so far the best way to protect your paints imo. Paint protection coatings will not protect your paint from rock chips as well as paint protection films, and XPEL Ultimate is one of the best, if not, the best PPF out there. The only downside is the price of having it done.

2. I personally have Suntek all around, with 3M crystalline 90% for windshield. And yes, check your state law on tinting the windshield.

3. I don't know much about tires... so.. can't help you on that
Old 10-31-15, 03:37 PM
Taideee
Rookie

Originally Posted by coldsoda
1)

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. A dedicated summer time like the PSS is great, but where you live the AS3 is a better choice. They work great in the rain and I ran them on my last car and was very impressed with ride quality and traction in all weather (didnt have a chance to run them in snow personally).
THX

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Welcome!

2. I personally have Suntek all around, with 3M crystalline 90% for windshield. And yes, check your state law on tinting the windshield.
(
Out of curiosity, does your Suntek film cause any rainbow effects? (wearing gunglasses/without etc)
Old 10-31-15, 06:15 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Welcome!

1. I would look for any XPEL Ultimate installers locally. This is so far the best way to protect your paints imo. Paint protection coatings will not protect your paint from rock chips as well as paint protection films, and XPEL Ultimate is one of the best, if not, the best PPF out there. The only downside is the price of having it done.

3. I don't know much about tires... so.. can't help you on that
Well said! Get Xpel Ultimate PPF! You won't be disappointed! I got both Xpel & Ceramic Pro Light! I just got my car back it looks awesome! Xpel will take care of rock chips while Ceramic Pro will keep the paint shiny and hydrophobic!!
Old 11-24-15, 10:09 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
Well said! Get Xpel Ultimate PPF! You won't be disappointed! I got both Xpel & Ceramic Pro Light! I just got my car back it looks awesome! Xpel will take care of rock chips while Ceramic Pro will keep the paint shiny and hydrophobic!!
I'm looking to get the same Xpel & Ceramic Pro setup on my car. Since I may not be able to get it done at the same location would it be better to get the Ceramic Pro applied first then the Xpel?
Old 11-25-15, 05:01 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
I'm looking to get the same Xpel & Ceramic Pro setup on my car. Since I may not be able to get it done at the same location would it be better to get the Ceramic Pro applied first then the Xpel?
No! Get Xpel first! The detailer will apply Ceramic Pro to the entire vehicle, including over the Xpel! Remember, the car needs to be detailed before installing Xpel or Ceramic Pro to take care of paint imperfections.
Old 11-25-15, 07:39 PM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexi90
No! Get Xpel first! The detailer will apply Ceramic Pro to the entire vehicle, including over the Xpel! Remember, the car needs to be detailed before installing Xpel or Ceramic Pro to take care of paint imperfections.
Sorry to hijack your thread Taideee.

lexi90 - Thanks for the info. Now I need to find a place that can do all of this. Right now I have only found one local guy that applies Ceramic Pro and he does it at his home. Not thrilled with that idea and I don't see a lot of reviews on his work either.
Old 11-26-15, 10:29 PM
Taideee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chris442
Sorry to hijack your thread Taideee.

lexi90 - Thanks for the info. Now I need to find a place that can do all of this. Right now I have only found one local guy that applies Ceramic Pro and he does it at his home. Not thrilled with that idea and I don't see a lot of reviews on his work either.
So after getting mine done, heres what you pretty much need to know (I got Full frontal of Xpel and then 5 layers of Ceramic pro all around (interior + exterior+glass))

If you want XPEL, you need to get it done before Ceramic pro. Xpel cannot go on top of ceramic pro because it is too slippery.

Ceramic pro does not block rock chips . Ceramic pro has a hardness of 9H, in mineral hardness that is 1.5M. You need to stack many layers in order for it to be safer.
Xpel does block rockchips.

What state do you live in ?
Old 11-27-15, 03:59 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the most important is to get the PPF, and I recommend the XPEL Ultimate and no other. In my country I didn't find any dealer which gives warranty against discoloration except the XPEL Ultimate dealer. I have it since 2 months now and it still looks like new. BTW only PPF can protect your car from rockchips.
Old 11-27-15, 08:02 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Taideee
So after getting mine done, heres what you pretty much need to know (I got Full frontal of Xpel and then 5 layers of Ceramic pro all around (interior + exterior+glass))

If you want XPEL, you need to get it done before Ceramic pro. Xpel cannot go on top of ceramic pro because it is too slippery.

Ceramic pro does not block rock chips . Ceramic pro has a hardness of 9H, in mineral hardness that is 1.5M. You need to stack many layers in order for it to be safer.
Xpel does block rockchips.

What state do you live in ?
Thanks for the info. I live in Virginia and the Xpel locator only gives two locations that apply Xpel and neither are closer than 1.5 hrs. As for Ceramic Pro, I emailed the company and that is how the local guy contacted me. Only problem is he doesn't do PPF as he just does CP in his garage so I would have to take it somewhere for paint correction/PPF application and then to him for Ceramic Pro.

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you for each process (Xpel & Ceramic Pro)?
Old 11-27-15, 08:06 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AMNss
I think the most important is to get the PPF, and I recommend the XPEL Ultimate and no other. In my country I didn't find any dealer which gives warranty against discoloration except the XPEL Ultimate dealer. I have it since 2 months now and it still looks like new. BTW only PPF can protect your car from rockchips.
I agree that PPF is a must since I do a lot of highway driving. I have it (3M version) on my Murano and it has saved the day many times over. It is over 8 years old now and I need to get it replaced plus touch up a couple chips that made it through the PPF.
Old 11-27-15, 01:34 PM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Do most of the companies that apply PPF detail the car (paint correction) before applying the film or do they leave that up to the owner?

Quick Reply: Need some Advice