IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Stock Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 08:26 AM
etai9
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Tires?

Does anyone recommend changing the stock tires? scared that ill mess up my wheels in the winter? will they be fine? are they good in the snow? or is it worth changing.
Old 10-30-15, 05:23 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people switch tires/wheel set-up in the winter, but I personally haven't done so yet for my IS. I will eventually get a new set of wheels and will use the stock wheels for winter.

I live in PA as well, and I had zero issues last winter with my stock tires. And I just had my lexus dealer run my car through their touchless car wash about once a week to keep as much salt off as possible. My stock wheels still look flawless. I'm planning on running my stock tires again this winter as they are still at about half life (I drive almost strictly highway, so I'm really stretching the miles out, far and above what most people get).

So, overall, it's up to your preference. I have always been one to run all season tires year round, but some people prefer winter and summer setups.
Old 10-30-15, 06:27 AM
EffedSport
Driver School Candidate

I use the oem tires (turanzas in the winter) and switch off to Michelin pilot super sports in the summer. turanzas suck, if you own the car outright and don't need to return it on lease, id just get rid of them.
Old 10-30-15, 06:59 AM
plastus
Rookie

The OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's are not that great in the wet and downright dangerous in the snow. You really have to be gentle with throttle and the brakes when driving in even a light dusting of snow. Last winter after buying the car, the car would just slide on a slight decline when approaching a stop sign. Finally decided to swap out for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and in the dry they are absolutely fantastic. Got a chance to drive them in a bit of rain the other day as well and the grip is superior to the OEM tires. It's such a drastic difference in terms of the steering response too.
Old 10-30-15, 10:16 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Turanzas and will consider changing them later on. What are the best tires to change to for a place that rains alot? I noticed when I am driving on the highway with the turanzas and its raining out they have terrible traction.
Old 10-30-15, 10:24 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by etai9
Does anyone recommend changing the stock tires? scared that ill mess up my wheels in the winter? will they be fine? are they good in the snow? or is it worth changing.
Clay bar them, seal them, then top with a good Carnauba wax before winter. I personally do not run my stock set up. Strictly winter tires and tire rack wheels in winter.
Old 10-30-15, 08:18 PM
IS350F2
Driver School Candidate

I just got a 2015 IS 350 and the first thing I did was get the Michelin PSS so I can enjoy the ride I'll put the Turenza's back when the lease is up. Can't say enough about those tires...
Old 10-30-15, 08:48 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by plastus
The OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's are not that great in the wet and downright dangerous in the snow. You really have to be gentle with throttle and the brakes when driving in even a light dusting of snow. Last winter after buying the car, the car would just slide on a slight decline when approaching a stop sign. Finally decided to swap out for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and in the dry they are absolutely fantastic. Got a chance to drive them in a bit of rain the other day as well and the grip is superior to the OEM tires. It's such a drastic difference in terms of the steering response too.
As plastus says, the stock EL-400s are garbage in snow. Especially if you're living the northeast US, I would strongly considered a dedicated winter set.

@plastus, I've been thinking about replacing the EL-400 with the Pilot A/S 3. How do you like them in terms of handling? Is there less road noise?