IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nav problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 04:46 PM
Hmunster2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav problems

Hi, new to this forum. First Lexus that I have owned (2015-is350), love the car but Hate the NAV. I would like to know, before I bring the car in for its 10000mi service-is the Nav system in this model car as bad as mine is? The system always finds the most circuitous route, even when it is painfully obvious to anybody or anything (5 y old Garmin) what is the most expedient route. The unit refuses to recalculate if you decide to go a different way, it tries to constantly get you back onto its original course. The only way that I have found around this,which is DANGEROUS], is to re-enter the destination and make sure I have chosen a quick or short or whatever route that is different from the original. There must be something that can be done , at least I hope, because this is a 2015 vehicle with a $3500 Nav unit that belongs back in the previous decade. Is there anyway that lexus can bring this unit into the present? I know it has a Micro-SD card, can this be reflashed with updated info?
Please, would appreciate any input.

Last edited by Hmunster2; 10-24-15 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 06:39 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi and welcome to CL. My nav does recalculate. I don't use it often to get to destinations, but when I do, it figures out where I am an replans the route. I have a 2014 IS.
Old 10-25-15, 03:18 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I've found the Nav in my car is worse than getting directions from Google maps. The car Nav system usually takes me on routes that take longer (due to traffic lights) rather than keeping me on the highway (no traffic indicated). When there is traffic, the HD radio data isn't as accurate (or update as often) and the car takes me through jams.

Just have to put up with the crappy system until Lexus finally realizes that Apple/Android does tech stuff better than them and allow Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
Old 10-26-15, 08:52 AM
Hmunster2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I've found the Nav in my car is worse than getting directions from Google maps. The car Nav system usually takes me on routes that take longer (due to traffic lights) rather than keeping me on the highway (no traffic indicated). When there is traffic, the HD radio data isn't as accurate (or update as often) and the car takes me through jams.

Just have to put up with the crappy system until Lexus finally realizes that Apple/Android does tech stuff better than them and allow Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
You are much more complacent about this than I am, I din't want the Nav to begin with, but was essentially "forced" to take it-or wait 4months for an ordered car at a higher cost. The fact that this is a $3500 option is what infuriates me. Maybe all Lexus owners should start a class-action suit to recoup some money for these inferior Nav systems-just a thought.
Old 10-26-15, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmunster2
You are much more complacent about this than I am, I din't want the Nav to begin with, but was essentially "forced" to take it-or wait 4months for an ordered car at a higher cost. The fact that this is a $3500 option is what infuriates me. Maybe all Lexus owners should start a class-action suit to recoup some money for these inferior Nav systems-just a thought.
Where did you get $3500 from? Navigation is $1505.
Old 10-26-15, 11:25 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmunster2
Maybe I am since for the MY2015 GS, Lexus made Nav "complimentary" and reduced the MSRP.

I highly doubt you would win that case...most in-car systems on the market suck when they don't have a direct internet connection. I know you feel ripped off for being "forced" to get Nav, but the Nav package also gives you things liked improved Bluetooth and Enform app suite. Having these things make this car a luxury car; I never understood people who get luxury cars without "luxury" features like Nav.